PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Selection criteria

Every year I goggle many articles about NCAA basketball selection criteria. I recommend other do the same. “Be creative” in your goggles.
This is one example :
http://www.helium.com/items/1363546-march-madness-bracket-selection

I keep seeing authors using the phrase : Subjectivity plays a major role and the goal is the most exciting tourament possible.

In one PANACHE ( my word ) …

P.S. I really get a :smiley: reading “Bracket analyzers” !!

This is what happened in a college town after a few beers, right? :slight_smile:

Another P.S. …I think PSU should “be in.” Tied for 4th WITH THE HARDEST CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

BUT…I admit a loss to IU may knock us out. I think, with an IU win we are in 100%…one of 6 BigTen101010 teams

Unless another “panache gate” type selection like 2 years ago, pushes SCum, MSU or Illinois over us!

[quote=“tundra, post:3, topic:2066”]Another P.S. …I think PSU should “be in.” Tied for 4th WITH THE HARDEST CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

BUT…I admit a loss to IU may knock us out. I think, with an IU win we are in 100%…one of 6 BigTen101010 teams

Unless another “panache gate” type selection like 2 years ago, pushes SCum, MSU or Illinois over us![/quote]A loss to IU will knock us out :wink:

"Be creative" in your goggles.

This is what happened in a college town after a few beers, right? :slight_smile:

It’s GOOGLES…huh… I bet it’s St. Paddies Day somewhere!!

Another P.S. .................I think PSU should "be in." [b]Tied for 4th WITH THE HARDEST CONFERENCE SCHEDULE[/b]

Unless another “panache gate” type selection like 2 years ago, pushes SCum, MSU or Illinois over us!

A loss to IU will knock us out :wink:

Yeah…I think your correct…I was trying to "be postive" to please the Apologists.

One more thing…How come certain Apologists are mostly negative about tourney selection?? ??? ??? ???
I think I am “missing something”…

[quote=“tundra, post:3, topic:2066”]Another P.S. …I think PSU should “be in.” Tied for 4th WITH THE HARDEST CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

Unless another “panache gate” type selection like 2 years ago, pushes SCum, MSU or Illinois over us![/quote]

If all we had played was a conference schedule, then sure. Unfortunately, pretty much every other team on the bubble will have at least one, and likely several wins that are better than our best win. We’re going to have to make up some ground if we want to get in.

And don’t you have some trouble talking about “panache gate” when you’re trying to defend a team with an RPI of 70? If anything, us getting in would have looked like the conspiracy.

Another P.S. .................I think PSU should "be in." [b]Tied for 4th WITH THE HARDEST CONFERENCE SCHEDULE[/b]

If all we had played was a conference schedule, then sure. Unfortunately, pretty much every other team on the bubble will have at least one, and likely several wins that are better than our best win. We’re going to have to make up some ground if we want to get in.

And don’t you have some trouble talking about “panache gate” when you’re trying to defend a team with an RPI of 70? If anything, us getting in would have looked like the conspiracy.

ONLY IF RPI was the lone criteria!! BUT, I think they use a different RPI…THE “Real Panache Index” fits better!!

[quote="tundra, post:1, topic:2066"]"Be creative" in your goggles.[/quote]

I like that ;D

This is true, but you also have to look at the flip side. 7-4 against a 119 SOS OOC slate. 3-8 on the road, best win = RPI 75.

Do you think Alabama is a lock? They are 12-4 in the SEC 1212121212121212121212121212121212

This is true, but you also have to look at the flip side. 7-4 against a 119 SOS OOC slate. 3-8 on the road, best win = RPI 75.

Do you think Alabama is a lock? They are 12-4 in the SEC 1212121212121212121212121212121212

I’m too old to worry about the SECCCCCCCCCC. BUT at 12-4 in conference I say they are “locked tight.” Network execs might think they will get viewers thinging it was a spring football game.
I don’t put much stock in the Virgin Islands “Made for TV” games…
BUT BUT Maybe I could be wrong, they did lose to Seton Hall :wink:

Definition: “Goggle” to filter results from Google queries through “B+W colored” lenses. :slight_smile:

I’m just not sure we’re safe right now even if we go 9-2 against our OOC. Big10 play is and was going to determine our fate all along. Had we gone a perfect 11-0 and then 9-9 I think we’d be good to go, but we need to hang our hats on 9-9 against the hardest possible big10 schedule possible. May not be enough to get us there, but I think it’s pretty admirable compared to some other bubble squads.

[quote=“tundra, post:11, topic:2066”]I don’t put much stock in the Virgin Islands “Made for TV” games…
BUT BUT Maybe I could be wrong, they did lose to Seton Hall :wink: [/quote]
I haven’t looked too much into it, but I know there were internal problems after the Seton Hall game. Alabama obviously isn’t worse than SPC and Iowa, they just had some things that needed to be worked out. Alabama played like crap in those losses, but played pretty well against Seton Hall. Was a very exciting game to watch.

Unfortunately, those losses won’t be overlooked. If they won those two games, Bama is lock city right now.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:2066"]Another P.S. .................I think PSU should "be in." [b]Tied for 4th WITH THE HARDEST CONFERENCE SCHEDULE[/b][/quote]

I’m just not sure we’re safe right now even if we go 9-2 against our OOC. Big10 play is and was going to determine our fate all along. Had we gone a perfect 11-0 and then 9-9 I think we’d be good to go, but we need to hang our hats on 9-9 against the hardest possible big10 schedule possible. May not be enough to get us there, but I think it’s pretty admirable compared to some other bubble squads.

We would have had an RPI in the 30-35 range. We might not have been safe today, but certainly would have looked pretty good with a win over Indiana.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:2066"]Another P.S. .................I think PSU should "be in." [b]Tied for 4th WITH THE HARDEST CONFERENCE SCHEDULE[/b][/quote]

We would have had an RPI in the 30-35 range. We might not have been safe today, but certainly would have looked pretty good with a win over Indiana.

Perhaps. I’m not so sure we wouldn’t still be lumped in with the exact group we currently are - although closer to the top of the group than the bottom.

RPI in the 30s and no bad loss + an OKAY OOC road win (depends who that win is against) sounds a lot better to me. Certainly makes a noticeable difference.

I know we’re talking hypotheticals but if we have an RPI in the 30’s, we beat Maryland, Ole Miss away, and VaTech away (and no Maine loss) AND we’re 9-9 in the B10…I don’t see how we’re not in lock city territory.

I just think they have a tendency to lump all members of a conference together when so many are at the same record within the conference. I mean Illinois might be the perfect example to make this case - they have 3 very decent to good wins in the OOC, are 19-12 overall (9-9) and are still talked about as a bubble team. Now most would say they are in, but it’s still not a sure thing should they lose to UM in the first game of the BTT.

That would pretty much be us as well I think. But oddly enough, if ANY of the 4 teams in the league had gotten to 10 wins instead of 9, I think they would pretty much be locks at this point. It’s just weird to me they way teams are lumped together unfairly sometimes.

I haven’t seen too many places that have Illinois as anything but a lock.

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm