PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Season Predictions

I just thought to do this today but what are everyone’s predictions. I would love to see us make the big dance, but I would need to see more from us before I’m convinced. At this point I feel that we could fit in any of the options I’ve listed. I would like us to at least play in some kind of post season game.

I was thinking to add at .500 but I think that’s good enough to make some post season tournament.

Everyone feel free to share your thoughts.

Is there still something other than the NIT and NCAA tournaments?

I have to think that not making at least the NIT would make this season a failure in just about everyone’s eyes.

6-5 OOC
3-15 Con

[quote=“pmhewitt, post:2, topic:1500”]Is there still something other than the NIT and NCAA tournaments?

I have to think that not making at least the NIT would make this season a failure in just about everyone’s eyes.[/quote]

I believe there is, I just can’t remember the name of the other tournament. There is either 1 or 2 other post season tournaments besides the NIT.

This taem is loaded with seniors why not a good season? - I expect the NCAA in April

Maybe because this team was loaded with juniors last season and went on to win 3 games in the Big 10.

Where is the option for National Championship? :slight_smile:

[quote="pmhewitt, post:2, topic:1500"]Is there still something other than the NIT and NCAA tournaments?

I have to think that not making at least the NIT would make this season a failure in just about everyone’s eyes.[/quote]

I believe there is, I just can’t remember the name of the other tournament. There is either 1 or 2 other post season tournaments besides the NIT.

CBI tourney (College Basketball Invitational). There is one other but the name is slipping my mind right now.

[quote=“phoenix, post:3, topic:1500”]6-5 OOC
3-15 Con[/quote]

Doubt your real. You can’t seriously think we are going to lose 5 games OOC can you?

I didn’t actually think of that at the time I was making this poll. I guess it would have to qualify under making the NCAA Tournament. It would be a dream come true if we won the National Championship, but if we do make the NCAA Tournament I’ll still be happy.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:7, topic:1500"]Where is the option for National Championship? :)[/quote]

I didn’t actually think of that at the time I was making this poll. I guess it would have to qualify under making the NCAA Tournament. It would be a dream come true if we won the National Championship, but if we do make the NCAA Tournament I’ll still be happy.

Definitely be “One Shining Moment”!

I can definitely see an opportunity to have a winning season. Ultimately, I think we will go 8-3 non conference and pick up 6 conference wins and 1 win in the big ten tournament. However, I think we have an opportunity to have a winning season because we just play so many close games and with 4 starting seniors it wouldn’t be shocking to pull off a couple of upsets.

[quote="phoenix, post:3, topic:1500"]6-5 OOC 3-15 Con[/quote]

Doubt your real. You can’t seriously think we are going to lose 5 games OOC can you?

Why not? Fairfield, Maryland, Ole Miss, VT and Maine. Penn State struggled against a D3 opponent, and struggled against a Patriot League opponent. All 5 teams are better than Lehigh, 3 are much much better.

Just playing devils advocate. But I can see how a pessimist can derive such a prediction from the exhibition and Game 1.

predict 1-3 OOC losses, many upsets in the big ten (also lose a few we shouldn’t), finish 9-9 in the league and make noise in the BTT. NCAA 8 or 9 seed. i see this year as the ‘jumping off point’ for everything ed wants to do going forward. NIT would be a massive disappointment. missing the NIT would mean change is needed, but I don’t see how a team with this experience could fail to make the NIT. If that is OK with this group the expectation is way too low. yes I was a huge critic of last year’s miserable performance but seniors with experience mean a lot. you can’t just consider us in isolation, I think PSU will be a veteran team compared to almost everyone they face

We’re running the table, boys - 11-0 OOC, 18-0 Big Ten, 3-0 BTT, and then blazing through to the NCAA championship - who’s with me? Wahoo!

<500

im actually more concerned about our offense this year, which is saying something. its early though, i usually like to see them play more than 1 or 2 games before predictions. i think we could be a good team, but we need to establish a shooter, and 2 more scorers besides battle (calling j brooks!). so far i like the d.

[quote="phoenix, post:3, topic:1500"]6-5 OOC 3-15 Con[/quote]

As far a I know, most board members who have been around a couple of years consider me to be real ;D

I looked at last year and scoring. Optimistically figured that Buie (or Marshall or Bowman–whoever wins the minutes) might replace Babb’s scoring. Battle and DJ together might increase 1-2 points per game). Borovnjak might replace both his and Ott’s scoring. Oliver might pick up Edward’s contribution. That leaves Frazier’s minutes and Woodyard’s minutes for improved scoring opportunity. Otherwise, we are stuck scoring at a level that was a B10 last-place level last year. The schedule is a bit tougher this year, both OOC and B10.

We now know Borovnjak’s part is not going to happen. Frazier does not look like he is going to be a major scorer this year (that is not being critical-point guards are not necessarily selected for scoring). Woodyard did not get all that many minutes last year and additional minutes for him come at the expense of minutes counted elsewhere (not to mention that he is, so far, not seeing the time.) I see 3 certain OOC losses and no certain OOC wins (obviously now excluding Lehigh), though a couple are Stony Brook level losses if they occur.

For what it is worth, last year I was (correctly) considered to be unduly optimistic. I might hope to be as wrong this year :slight_smile: