PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Season kickoff will be an ESPN marathon

Enjoy hoops junkies! :slight_smile:

This makes about 3 years now they’ve done this. It’s a pretty good idea I guess, but I’m not sure anybody but the most diehard of basketball fans really pay much attention to NCAAB this time of year while football is still going.

I would be part of that group who loves it, but I probably couldn’t find another person in real life who gives a hoot at this point.
:frowning:

This is maybe my favorite time of the year though - love the early season and kickoff tourneys almost as much as championship week and the NCAA tournament.

Only about 3 games I’m really all that interested in tomorrow outside of PSU though - Ohio State/Florida, Butler/Louisville, and SDST/Gonzaga.

It is tough to get into college basketball till the football regular season is over.

Guess I’m a junkie. I pretty much drop football when college basketball starts. The excitement level just doesn’t match up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5809267

7:30 p.m. ET: Saint Joseph's at Penn State (ESPN3) -- This is not a marquee game by any means, but PSU is an interesting team this season, and not just because Talor Battle will be one of the top point guards in the country again. Penn State lost a handful of very close games in Big Ten play last season, and although expecting the Nittany Lions to suddenly compete for a Big Ten title thanks to a bit better luck would be silly, expecting Battle & Co. to be more competitive in general isn't. Gauging where the Nittany Lions are begins with Tuesday's game against Saint Joe's, a team anyone claiming to be better than 3-15 in the Big Ten (Penn State's cellar-dwelling conference record last season) should handle with relative ease.

It’s obvious who grew up in central PA. :wink:

I plan on sleeping on the recliner tonight!

I’m going to watch every game that I can. I was able to watch a part of most of the games from last year. I think it’s great what ESPN has done here you can watch basketball anytime of day starting tonight.

I wish I could stay up and watch more tonight. But then I think about driving from the DC suburbs for tomorrow night’s game, and then back after the game, and realize I should probably rest up tonight. Can’t wait to get to the BJC tomorrow, though!

Siena and Minnesota locked in a close one at The Barn…

Minny leads 43-42 with 15:00 to play

ESPNU

Minnesota escapes with a 7 point win.

I get up early…so.
Monmouth game had nice crowd. Good game! Good close ending.
Robert Morris is on now. Crowd not as good. Playing at Kent. Just like last year; RM REALLY hustles on defense. They held St. Peters to 30 points in the first game. BUT, they have 7 team fouls in the first 6 minutes.

It’s fun to watch even though it sorta undercuts the idea of student-athleticism both for players and student spectators.

Why not hold it on a weekend when classes don’t have to be missed/canceled/cut?

[quote=“CynicalSenior@MainCampus, post:13, topic:1504”]It’s fun to watch even though it sorta undercuts the idea of student-athleticism both for players and student spectators.

Why not hold it on a weekend when classes don’t have to be missed/canceled/cut?[/quote]
At many schools the words student and athlete are NEVER used in the same sentence.

Kind of nice watching some live hoops this AM while getting ready for work.

[quote=“CynicalSenior@MainCampus, post:13, topic:1504”]It’s fun to watch even though it sorta undercuts the idea of student-athleticism both for players and student spectators.

Why not hold it on a weekend when classes don’t have to be missed/canceled/cut?[/quote]

That’s a great point, hopefully someone will bring this up to the schools and ESPN. College Football and Basketball are all about making money so here the athletes aren’t really looked as students. It’s sad that this has happened to college sports.

While I agree and, as someone who would watch many of the matches (more than I can do today because of work), I’d prefer it. But the reality is that ESPN does this to get programming on an otherwise slow day and fill air time. They don’t need it at all on a Saturday (with college football) and I don’t think they’d bother doing it on a Sunday going against the NFL.

It would be interesting to do it on a Saturday in, say, mid-December after the college football regular season ends and before the bowls.

[quote="CynicalSenior@MainCampus, post:13, topic:1504"]It's fun to watch even though it sorta undercuts the idea of student-athleticism both for players and student spectators.

That’s a great point, hopefully someone will bring this up to the schools and ESPN. College Football and Basketball are all about making money so here the athletes aren’t really looked as students. It’s sad that this has happened to college sports.

Don’t be naive. ESPN does NOT care at all. Universities give lip service that they care…but they will sell the athletes souls for money if they could.

[quote="CynicalSenior@MainCampus, post:13, topic:1504"]It's fun to watch even though it sorta undercuts the idea of student-athleticism both for players and student spectators.

While I agree and, as someone who would watch many of the matches (more than I can do today because of work), I’d prefer it. But the reality is that ESPN does this to get programming on an otherwise slow day and fill air time. They don’t need it at all on a Saturday (with college football) and I don’t think they’d bother doing it on a Sunday going against the NFL.

It would be interesting to do it on a Saturday in, say, mid-December after the college football regular season ends and before the bowls.

There is no such Saturday. Football season goes right from conference championships into bowls and playoffs the following weekend.

This is a pretty good game on right now, one that might actually seem better a few months from now given that I think VaTech is going to have a very good season… lots of seniors and a weaker than usual ACC.

I’m not sure K-State is #3 good, but they’ve got all that experience coming from last year minus Clemente, which makes them at least top 15 good I believe.