PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Scouting temple

i know nothing about temple but this stat from Forde Minutes kinda jumps out at ya…

Fran Dunphy (46), Temple. Record: 1-12. Winning percentage: .077. Average seed: 11.5. Last win: 1994.

At least there shouldn’t be too many blizzards in Tuscon this time of year :slight_smile:

After 28 years of season tix, maybe, just MAYBE it’s time for the score of a PSU Temple game to NOT be 49-48 ;D

Big backcourt. Ramone Moore vs Battle will be a great matchup. Lavoy Allen (doesn’t it feel like he’s been at Temple for 8 years?) tough inside. Not a prolific 3pt shooting team - decent percentage but don’t make alot of them - so if we can control them inside (big if) good chance their 3pt shooting won’t hurt us (7-25 in loss to Dayton). Juan Fernandez is the wild card - if there’s going to be that wing who gets hot and kills us, it’ll probably be him.

Common opponents - they beat MD in College Park, lost at Dusquense, and beat St. Joe’s. They play faster than we do, but not really a major clash of styles. Not confident of a win, but I think it’s a good matchup for Penn State.

Here’s a comparison:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/compare?t1-season=2010-2011&t1=temple&t2=penn-state

Saw them play Seton Hall earlier this season. Good defensively, big team. A lot will depend on if Eric and/or Randall play against Penn State. Both sat out against Richmond. Eric was better than Lavoy Allen & Herb Pope in the game I saw.

Here’s an email I just got from a friend of mine who’s a pretty knowledgable Temple fan:

Temple is, sadly, very beatable. Their starting 6'10" power forward is out for the season, and their #2 scorer, Scootie Randall, has missed 7 straight games with a sprain and is uncertain for PSU (but probable). Their point guard, juan fernandez, has been really erratic lately (3-17 vs. Richmond), and they really only go 7 deep. also, they've gotten bounced from the Dance in the first round for 3 consecutive years.

One of my all-time favorite games was against Temple. I think it was during the 97-98 season, but I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong. At the time, Temple was ranked in the top 5 in the country. They came to the BJC for a weekend afternoon game, and the place was rocking. Penn State played a great game, and pulled off the win. First time I ever remember a student court storming in person in the BJC. (Every game at Rec Hall ended with a court storm. It was the fastest way to get out the door.)

[quote=“vslice02, post:4, topic:2138”]Big backcourt. Ramone Moore vs Battle will be a great matchup. Lavoy Allen (doesn’t it feel like he’s been at Temple for 8 years?) tough inside. Not a prolific 3pt shooting team - decent percentage but don’t make alot of them - so if we can control them inside (big if) good chance their 3pt shooting won’t hurt us (7-25 in loss to Dayton). Juan Fernandez is the wild card - if there’s going to be that wing who gets hot and kills us, it’ll probably be him.

Common opponents - they beat MD in College Park, lost at Dusquense, and beat St. Joe’s. They play faster than we do, but not really a major clash of styles. Not confident of a win, but I think it’s a good matchup for Penn State.[/quote]

You can pretty much say that about anybody. In fact, of the 68 teams in the tournament, only one plays at a slower pace than us (and it shouldn’t take much of a guess to figure out who that is).

[quote=“bstanf, post:7, topic:2138”]Here’s an email I just got from a friend of mine who’s a pretty knowledgable Temple fan:

One of my all-time favorite games was against Temple. I think it was during the 97-98 season, but I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong. At the time, Temple was ranked in the top 5 in the country. They came to the BJC for a weekend afternoon game, and the place was rocking. Penn State played a great game, and pulled off the win. First time I ever remember a student court storming in person in the BJC. (Every game at Rec Hall ended with a court storm. It was the fastest way to get out the door.)[/quote]

I remember us beating them on a weeknight in the 98-99 season at home, and on a weekend in the 00-01 season. I’m pretty sure you’re talking about 98-99 as they were highly ranked and it was the first court storming of the BJC, however I’m 99% sure that it happened during the week, and it was definitely at night.

Here's an email I just got from a friend of mine who's a pretty knowledgable Temple fan:
Temple is, sadly, very beatable. Their starting 6'10" power forward is out for the season, and their #2 scorer, Scootie Randall, has missed 7 straight games with a sprain and is uncertain for PSU (but probable). Their point guard, juan fernandez, has been really erratic lately (3-17 vs. Richmond), and they really only go 7 deep. also, they've gotten bounced from the Dance in the first round for 3 consecutive years.

One of my all-time favorite games was against Temple. I think it was during the 97-98 season, but I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong. At the time, Temple was ranked in the top 5 in the country. They came to the BJC for a weekend afternoon game, and the place was rocking. Penn State played a great game, and pulled off the win. First time I ever remember a student court storming in person in the BJC. (Every game at Rec Hall ended with a court storm. It was the fastest way to get out the door.)

I remember us beating them on a weeknight in the 98-99 season at home, and on a weekend in the 00-01 season. I’m pretty sure you’re talking about 98-99 as they were highly ranked and it was the first court storming of the BJC, however I’m 99% sure that it happened during the week, and it was definitely at night.

Actually, now that you mention it, you’re right. I missed the first 10 minutes because of class, and I obviously wouldn’t have had class on a weekend. Memory is a funny thing. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it was 98-99 that Temple came in ranked in the top-10 and Joe Crispin hit the game-winning fallaway jumper.

I’m out of the loop. Didn’t know Eric was done for the season. Here is a recent piece on Randall, looks like hes 50/50:
http://www.csnphilly.com/03/13/11/Temples-Randall-says-hell-play-Dunphy-no/landing_ncaa.html?blockID=440077&feedID=7325

David Jones: Penn State and Talor Battle finally will take NCAA dance – against Temple!

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/03/penn_state_and_talor_battle_fi.html

Does playing out west help PSU (or is it a detriment to Temple?)

Temple has played 22 of their 32 games within 150 miles of campus. Seven of their 10 games of 150+ miles have come either during Thanksgiving, semester break or on Saturdays. Zero games outside of the Eastern Timezone. Six games more than 400 miles away. Only Four games more than 500 miles away, and three of those were at a tourney in Orlando over Thanksgiving.

PSU’s travel woes have been well documented.

[quote=“Tom, post:14, topic:2138”]Does playing out west help PSU (or is it a detriment to Temple?)

Temple has played 22 of their 32 games within 150 miles of campus. Seven of their 10 games of 150+ miles have come either during Thanksgiving, semester break or on Saturdays. Zero games outside of the Eastern Timezone. Six games more than 400 miles away. Only Four games more than 500 miles away, and three of those were at a tourney in Orlando over Thanksgiving.

PSU’s travel woes have been well documented.[/quote]

I was hoping to get a later game just to give us more time to rest (even if it’s just another 8-10 hours). But this team has done a great job playing the hands that they’ve been dealt, so I don’t think it will bother them.

That’s what I mean…PSU is better equipped to handle a long trip and a time change than Temple.

I don’t know. My concern is that it will be like “senior day” against OSU. The team will be so amped up, so emotional about being in the big dance finally, that they’ll come out super tight. Hopefully, they learned from that game to keep things in perspective and just play their game.

I think it helps that they are playing a somewhat familiar opponent. It will keep some form of normalcy for them.

Does Temple have a hoops forum?

Their more active one is on Rivals.

http://temple.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=1018&fid=792

I think Brooks could have huge role in this game. Have to look at roster, but Allen is 6’7", so with 6’10" guy out, probably smallish front line, maybe big guards. Brooks went inside yesterday vs. OSU. IMO, if he’s willing to do that with Sullinger in the paint, Allen, as good as he is, shouldn’t scare him. IMO, this will be key, along with our rebounds by front line players. AJ has been getting rebounds in this tourney. Jeff should also provide good help on any drives by their guards, like he was yesterday, so they may revert to the arc. Allen on offense always an issue, and he can board.