PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Scouting Nebraska

I just want to go over the Nebraska team once again, with a little insight into the newest happenings…

At the beginning of the season, Nebraska was looking like a team that was ready to peak. They had what was shaping up to be one of the best front courts in the BIG TEN. They had 3 good bigs, none being All-BIG TEN material, but combined, they were a good looking unit.

• The one I thought was the best looking of the 3 was a JC transfer named Andre Almeida. He is aHUGE presence under the rim, listed at 6’11" and 310 (generously). Great passer and good skills, poblem was he was fat and out of shape. Ubel and Diaz were the other 2 bigs that looked good.

• Since that time, Almeida had gone on to redshirt this season with bad knees. Diaz had sat out a few weeks with sore feet. Another big guard, 6’5" Dylan Talley was also sidelined with injuries. They went from a really good front court to being undersized very quickly.

Their backcourt is similar to ours. Thier Timmy is named Bo Spencer. He’s a one-and-done transfer from LSU who is playing his senior season. As he goes, so does the Huskers. He’s their leading scorer and leading assist man. Very quick and can get to the rim. McCray is their Jermaine Marshall, who is the second threat.

But, make no mistake, Spencer is THE MAN on that team.

Here’s the problem…

• Nebraska had lost it’s first 4 BIG TEN games. But, they were vs #11 Wiscy, vs #17 Mich St, @ #7 OSU, and @ Ill. A VERY TOUGH stretch.

• Nebraska just got Diaz and Talley back for the Illinois game, and are looking more like the team that can make some noise. They were leading Illinois IN CHAMPAIGNE at halftime, and actually had the score tied with less than a minute remaining.

• Diaz/Ubel are a good 1-2 punch. Diaz is an offensive guy, Ubel is more defensive minded. Diaz is acutally a better shotblocker, but Ubel is a good floor deffender, position establisher, and rebounder.

We are going to be playing a much more dangerous version of the Husker team than they have had in the past month, when Diaz and Talley went down.

CHEAT SHEET:
They will probably only play 7
PG Spencer - THE man
C/PF Diaz - Big offense
C/PF Ubel - Big defender
G Talley - Big guard, more SF, does it all
G McCray - second scoring option at guard

I think this game will be tougher than some would lead you to believe. However, this is a very good scouting report on Nebraska. Difficult road game for our Nits.

Any road game in the B1G is tough.

Thanks for the scouting report. Love to get a road win this week!

It’s a game PSU needs to win.

[quote=“Mikey, post:3, topic:2970”]Any road game in the B1G is tough.

Thanks for the scouting report. Love to get a road win this week![/quote]

Not only is it tough to win in the BIG TEN, but let’s not forget that this is a YOUNG team.

Young teams have a tough time on the road as it is. That’s just the nature of inexperience, and it’s a huge obstacle to get over.

• Our first 2 road games were pretty ugly. Michigan was up by 20 during almost the entire 2nd half, Northwestern was close at the half, but they just pulled away at the end.

-It’s no coincidence that our 2 best games, the Purdue win and Indiana battle, were both home games.

This is what young teams do.

I’m hoping for the best, but expecting the worse.

[b]Any road game in the B1G is tough.[/b]

Thanks for the scouting report. Love to get a road win this week!

Not only is it tough to win in the BIG TEN, but let’s not forget that this is a YOUNG team.

Young teams have a tough time on the road as it is. That’s just the nature of inexperience, and it’s a huge obstacle to get over.

• Our first 2 road games were pretty ugly. Michigan was up by 20 during almost the entire 2nd half, Northwestern was close at the half, but they just pulled away at the end.

-It’s no coincidence that our 2 best games, the Purdue win and Indiana battle, were both home games.

This is what young teams do.

I’m hoping for the best, but expecting the worse.

I agree totally.

I’m hoping for the best, but… gonna see what happens. :smiley:

I’m not looking for a ‘w’, but for some “road improvement”. Skeeza makes a good point about the difficulty in young teams winning on the road (and thanks for the scouting report as well).

In our first two B1G road games we got punched in the mouth and wilted - at Michigan in the beginning of the game, and at Northwestern early in the 2nd half. In both cases, we never really mounted a run to try to get back into it. At Nebraska, if/when they go on a run to take a hefty lead (near double digit), I’d like to see us buckle down and claw back into it, even if only temporarily. That baby step would be nice to see.

You know Nebraska is going to be hungry for their first B1G win after their brutal starting schedule, so they’re going to give it all they’ve got. Don’t get me wrong, I’d take a ‘w’, but I’ll settle for resilience, determination, and growth as the youngsters mature on the road in the Big Ten.

It's a game PSU needs to win.

I’m not looking for a ‘w’, but for some “road improvement”. Skeeza makes a good point about the difficulty in young teams winning on the road (and thanks for the scouting report as well).

In our first two B1G road games we got punched in the mouth and wilted - at Michigan in the beginning of the game, and at Northwestern early in the 2nd half. In both cases, we never really mounted a run to try to get back into it. At Nebraska, if/when they go on a run to take a hefty lead (near double digit), I’d like to see us buckle down and claw back into it, even if only temporarily. That baby step would be nice to see.

You know Nebraska is going to be hungry for their first B1G win after their brutal starting schedule, so they’re going to give it all they’ve got. Don’t get me wrong, I’d take a ‘w’, but I’ll settle for resilience, determination, and growth as the youngsters mature on the road in the Big Ten.

Good point.

It also brings up the fact that Nebraska’s next 3 opponts are all ranked; Wiscy, Indy, and Uhiu State. This may be the only winnable game they play in the first month of their schedule.

They may have this game circled.

Nebraska is bad, injuries aside. They lost to a horrendous Wake Forest team at home. And this is the most experienced team in the Big Ten!

But I am also on the cautious side because of how hard we’ve played the last two games and also because this is seemingly Nebraska’s only realistic chance of a win in January.

I am going to be rooting REALLY hard this game.

My best friend is a Nebraska alum. We understand each other when it comes to cheering for bad hoops programs.

We have a standing bet on all future PSU/Neb hoops games. Here’s our bet:

• When Nebraska comes to Penn State, the loser of the previous Neb @ PSU game has to drive to the game. we have committed to attend each one of these games (we are from the Harrisburg area).

• When Penn State plays at Nebraska, the loser of the PSU @ Neb games has to buy the snacks (hot dog, popcorn, soda, etc.) while we are at that game.

Of coarse those small prizes pale in comparison to the braggin rights throughout the rest of the year !!!

These 2 games are my biggest games of the YEAR !!!

[quote=“Skeeza, post:1, topic:2970”]CHEAT SHEET:
They will probably only play 7
PG Spencer - THE man
C/PF Diaz - Big offense
C/PF Ubel - Big defender
G Talley - Big guard, more SF, does it all
G McCray - second scoring option at guard[/quote]

If they are going to only play 7, we need to push the pace, make them work as hard as possible on both ends. We can easily run 10 deep, so use that to our advantage.

In the B1G one-point win on the road is a blow out.

And it also counts for as many wins as a 40 point blowout. :slight_smile:

any road win is HUGE for this gang. They need to learn to win away from the BJC

PSU actually played better than I thought they would play at both Michigan and NW. They just didn’t have an answer for Tim Hardaway Jr. at Michigan and NW’s second half run did them in. But they were quite competitive otherwise.

Now we see that after two solid efforts against Purdue and Indiana, that we might have something here.

Tomorrow night will tell me a lot. Nebraska’s had a tough go of things in conference with both injuries and schedule, but almost pulled one out the other day in Champaign. If the Nits can pull this one out, then I might be quite optimistic that they can finish this season with a…dare I say…winning record. (which would mean 8-10 in conference).

Penn State Faces Huskers In Lincoln Wednesday

Lions Start Favorable Stretch In Lincoln

Lions seek better luck on the road

Oliver improving on court, finding his stroke

Basketball players begin to embrace individual roles

Penn State Men’s Hoops - Player Preview Interviews at Nebraska - Jan. 10

[quote=“Skeeza, post:10, topic:2970”]I am going to be rooting REALLY hard this game.

My best friend is a Nebraska alum. We understand each other when it comes to cheering for bad hoops programs.

We have a standing bet on all future PSU/Neb hoops games. Here’s our bet:

• When Nebraska comes to Penn State, the loser of the previous Neb @ PSU game has to drive to the game. we have committed to attend each one of these games (we are from the Harrisburg area).

• When Penn State plays at Nebraska, the loser of the PSU @ Neb games has to buy the snacks (hot dog, popcorn, soda, etc.) while we are at that game.

Of coarse those small prizes pale in comparison to the braggin rights throughout the rest of the year !!!

These 2 games are my biggest games of the YEAR !!![/quote]

It’s been said that money won is twice as sweet as money earned. In the same light, hot dogs won taste twice as good as hot dogs I have to pay for myself. And I swear that the sodas have twice the fizz !!!

COME ON, GUYS. DON’T LET ME DOWN !!! ;D

Glover really impresses me.

I would really like to see us get a road win