PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Scott Paterno: JoePa has lung cancer

Says it’s a treatable form, according to the AP.

Treatable is good but at his age any cancer is very dangerous.

I’m not sure many 85 year olds have treatable lung cancer.

Average 85 year-old, maybe not, but we are talking about Joe Paterno.

[quote="Tom, post:3, topic:2848"]I'm not sure many 85 year olds have treatable lung cancer.[/quote] Average 85 year-old, maybe not, but we are talking about Joe Paterno.

No, we’re talking about an 85 yr old with other health problems.

[quote="Tom, post:3, topic:2848"]I'm not sure many 85 year olds have treatable lung cancer.[/quote] Average 85 year-old, maybe not, but we are talking about Joe Paterno.

Joe has 85 year old liver old liver and kidneys. If he needs chemo, that’s not going to be good.

Lung cancer is very dangerous at ANY age.

…makes this situation even worse if you ask me.

The way he has been treated by the university and by the media is pathetic.

Wy to send the guy out in style, Penn State !!! >:(

[quote=“Skeeza, post:8, topic:2848”]…makes this situation even worse if you ask me.

Wy to send the guy out in style, Penn State !!! >:( [/quote]

Amen brother … amen … treatment has been beyond shameful …

[quote=“Skeeza, post:8, topic:2848”]…makes this situation even worse if you ask me.

Wy to send the guy out in style, Penn State !!! >:( [/quote]

The two have nothing to do with one another. It’s a sad thing that he has lung cancer, but it’s nowhere near as sad as a bunch of young boys being raped. And the fact that he now has cancer doesn’t make his role in those boys getting hurt any less important or true.

Yet, no one knows what his role really was.

The two have nothing to do with one another. It's a sad thing that he has lung cancer, but it's nowhere near as sad as a bunch of young boys being raped. And the fact that he now has cancer doesn't make his role in those boys getting hurt any less important or true.

We have a good idea based on multiple testimonies, not to mention an admission from Joe himself that he should have done more in hindsight. Plus the fact that he was without a doubt the head of the football program (and athletic program, if you really want to get down to it) in which this was all taking place.

If he’s the captain of that ship, he’s responsible for everything that happens on it.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:10, topic:2848"]The two have nothing to do with one another. It's a sad thing that he has lung cancer, but it's nowhere near as sad as a bunch of young boys being raped. And the fact that he now has cancer doesn't make his role in those boys getting hurt any less important or true.[/quote]

We have a good idea based on multiple testimonies, not to mention an admission from Joe himself that he should have done more in hindsight.

We have no idea what that statement means. Look at all the times you see a distraught parent or family member wish they could have done more when a child or loved one gets hurt or something bad happens. Does that mean they’re admitting guilt? No.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:10, topic:2848"]The two have nothing to do with one another. It's a sad thing that he has lung cancer, but it's nowhere near as sad as a bunch of young boys being raped. And the fact that he now has cancer doesn't make his role in those boys getting hurt any less important or true.[/quote]

We have a good idea based on multiple testimonies, not to mention an admission from Joe himself that he should have done more in hindsight.

We have no idea what that statement means. Look at all the times you see a distraught parent or family member wish they could have done more when a child or loved one gets hurt or something bad happens. Does that mean they’re admitting guilt? No.

We know exactly what it means. It means he wishes he would have done more. The details beyond what I’ve laid out do not matter in terms of whether he kept his job or not. The fact that this situation exists at all right now and can be tied to the PSU football program falls on Joe’s shoulders, period.

Beyond that question, there are all sorts of questions that need to get sorted out that will determine just how Joe is remembered in the long run. In terms of him losing his job however, there is no question about it for anybody except the most extremely devoted (and blinded) fans of his. There is no question that if this were a coach at another school these same people pouring their hearts out about the unjust treatment of JoePa would be the first ones in line with the pitchforks - it’s typically THAT type of person on both sides of an issue.

The rest of us in the middle understand that people are not wholly good or bad. Joe and Jerry share this fact with all of us. We are all capable of doing good and bad things. There is never enough good that can be done to exonerate somebody from doing something truly awful, and vice versa. You’re seeing the opposite ends of that spectrum play out with these men right now.

The regrets Joe has do not make up for his role in this, whatever it turns out to be. Nor does the role he has in it take away from the great things he has done with his life. But both are reality now and you have to live with both.

I’m sorry you put this entire scandal on Joe. Joe is a lot of things, and Joe may even have been morally wrong, but this scandal goes well above Joe.

I don’t put the entire scandal on Joe. But he’s a major player in it, being that it happened in the Penn State football program.

When Joe gets credit for a victory on the field in 2011, is it because he’s really out there doing all the coaching and play-calling? Is he taking the snaps and throwing the passes and scoring touchdowns to win these games? No. But the wins get attached to his name. It’s his record, because he’s the head of the program.

Similarly, when things go bad - even when he’s not the one actually committing the crimes – it falls on him. He’s not going to jail for what happened, but he’s responsible as the head of this program for what happens inside his program. You don’t get to simply take the good and walk away from the bad.

People make mistakes in their careers and they lose their jobs. The more responsibility you have, the less it can take to lose your job. Let’s quit acting like the big f*cking tragedy here is that an 85 year old man lost his job. It makes all Penn Staters look like morons. Joe is owning up to his responsibility in this, whatever it winds up being… it’s time his die-hard supporters accepted it too.

This is really horrible news, and my heart goes out to the Paternos. I hope it is what Scott’s statement said - a treatable form.

Regardless of what else is going on, that is the bottom line. Terrible news, and I really hope for the best.

I have seen where people in advanced age get minor cancers that grow so slowly that the cancer doesn’t really grow or spread, but treating it is harder on the patient then just letting the cancer go. Now, I cannot comment on Joe’s, but it’s certianly possible that this isn’t as critial as it would seem for someone much younger.

...makes this situation even worse if you ask me.

Wy to send the guy out in style, Penn State !!! >:(

The two have nothing to do with one another. It’s a sad thing that he has lung cancer, but it’s nowhere near as sad as a bunch of young boys being raped. And the fact that he now has cancer doesn’t make his role in those boys getting hurt any less important or true.

I think you could have ended your response with just your first sentence. It would have been the proper response.
This response is coming from a guy who has wanted Joe to retire every season since 2001. Regardless, most here respect all he has meant to the University and to the image of our University, that has created a sense of idenity and kinship toward him. While I am not saying you don’t, his cancer and the child abuse have nothing to do with each other either, yet you chose to couple them together, and that was as unecessary as coupling up his cancer with his dismissal and fall from grace in this Sandusky debacle…
There was sexual child abuse, terrible thing, terrible thing. Joe has lung cancer, can’t we treat them as seperate issues.
Tim has always had a rule about not saying anything about a BB player that you would"t say to his family member. Until the whole testimony is released and more of this story is learned, I plan on trying to not say anything relative to Joe that I wouldn’t say to a family member.