Schedule stimulates Penn State

Go to the Collegian article

First a disclaimer… I am NOT trying to start an OLD argument…that is about the strength of last years schedule maybe or maybe not stopping the team from a NCAA bid. I think the horse has been beaten enough.
But for once, I would like to see someone report something like this…"As the PSU team progressed through their non conference schedule they developed a continuity and spirit of teamwork that would make them one of PSU most successful teams EVER.

It is kind of like the year we played Arizona in the Kickoff Classic. There were supposed to be the Desert Swarm Defense. They come to Happy Valley we kicked their teeth in and they ended up being awful. When you set up a schedule you hope the teams that are on it are going to be good, but you never know about injuries, chemistry, etc.

jjepsu92, it’s one thing if 1 or 2 teams don’t pan out how you expect…we had EVERY team we played “not pan out”. Ed’s being a politician about last year’s schedule. Don’t think for a second that he knew what he was doing. The good thing is it looks like he does now. I think before being given the Heisman by the NCAA Committee, he figured 20+ plus wins and a .500 schedule in a big conference was good enough.

You make a good point Tundra, who knows what would’ve happened had we played a tougher schedule last year. Maybe the soft schedule was a good thing for the team.

Except we knew on this board last year that the schedule was going to be a killer. Rock, I, and others pointed it out when the schedule was released, warning that it could possibly cost us an NCAA bid - and it did.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:4, topic:132”]jjepsu92, it’s one thing if 1 or 2 teams don’t pan out how you expect…we had EVERY team we played “not pan out”. Ed’s being a politician about last year’s schedule. Don’t think for a second that he knew what he was doing. The good thing is it looks like he does now. I think before being given the Heisman by the NCAA Committee, he figured 20+ plus wins and a .500 schedule in a big conference was good enough.

You make a good point Tundra, who knows what would’ve happened had we played a tougher schedule last year. Maybe the soft schedule was a good thing for the team.[/quote]

Actually he isn’t and he is being a politician. If we beat Rhode Island in the Philly Classic we get Nova instead we lost and got Towson. That didn’t help the old RPI. I think the Rhode Island lose and the Iowa loss kept us out of the Tourney and probably more so the Rhode Island lose since we never got to play Nova. I think that Ed was counting on getting into the title game against Nova and boosting the RPI, but Rhode Island got in the way.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:3, topic:132"]It is kind of like the year we played Arizona in the Kickoff Classic. There were supposed to be the Desert Swarm Defense. They come to Happy Valley we kicked their teeth in and they ended up being awful. When you set up a schedule you hope the teams that are on it are going to be good, but you never know about injuries, chemistry, etc.[/quote]

Except we knew on this board last year that the schedule was going to be a killer. Rock, I, and others pointed it out when the schedule was released, warning that it could possibly cost us an NCAA bid - and it did.

I remember you guys pointing it out. I thought it could have been tougher but I also thought the guys needed to build confidence going into Big 10 play and it almost worked. If Jake Kelly doesn’t bank the shot in I think we would have gotten the bid, but the NIT was a nice consolation prize and a lot of fun to watch.

But that just proves that he didn’t know what he was doing. He never should have needed to count on 1 game in OOC to be the do or die.

I do think that if we had beaton RI or maybe even Iowa we probably would’ve danced but that isn’t the point. The point is that the schedule was so bad even before the games were played we were put in a tougher position than we needed to be. I cringe whenever I hear Ed comment that it was the perfect storm of bad luck.

Can we possible move on? Last year is over Lar, please stop telling us how smart you and others were…last year. This is the beginning of the 2009-2010 schedule and this TEAM. Good prospects, better schedule, positive beginning, let’s keep it that way, concentrate on 2009-2010 please

PAP '58

[quote=“pap17754, post:9, topic:132”]Can we possible move on? Last year is over Lar, please stop telling us how smart you and others were…last year. This is the beginning of the 2009-2010 schedule and this TEAM. Good prospects, better schedule, positive beginning, let’s keep it that way, concentrate on 2009-2010 please

PAP '58[/quote]

I won’t bring it up but I will respond when someone tries to paint that pig in a positive light.

[quote=“pap17754, post:9, topic:132”]Can we possible move on? Last year is over Lar, please stop telling us how smart you and others were…last year. This is the beginning of the 2009-2010 schedule and this TEAM. Good prospects, better schedule, positive beginning, let’s keep it that way, concentrate on 2009-2010 please

PAP '58[/quote]

Lar was only making the point that we knew before last season started that our schedule could be a problem. Someone else made a statement about the schedule first. Relax pap. Once the season starts I’m sure last season will become a distant memory.

Nonsense! I just ran out of Elmer’s and think we could squeeze a few more drops out of the old nag. Here’s hoping that ED has learned his lesson for future scheduling.