PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Schedule Quirk

Didn’t really want to start a new thread just for the sake of starting a new thread, but didn’t really know where to put this…so…new thread :slight_smile:

I find it kind of weird that so far this year Michigan State, Illinois and Purdue (they scheduled WVU during their bye), have all had conference byes right before playing PSU. That list will grow this week when Wisconsin will enjoy time off before playing this weekend at PSU and then Illinois will get some time off (once again) before the Nits come to town.

I know the league doesn’t make a conscious decision like this when putting the schedule together. Yet after seeing the results from the above examples, do you feel this might actually help PSU in that byes take a team out of their rhythm and routine of practice/practice/game/practice/practice/game. Just asking.

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/sched/big10-m-baskbl-sched.html

Thats a good question. I think with basketball having a few days off is mostly a mental break and provides only a few days of healing. Its a chance to get some sleep and not be on the road, which probably takes more out of the kids than games do. As you said it might actually help us that people have had time off and may be a little flat. Its not like we’re the defending champs and everyone always gives us their A game.

If this was a football schedule and we had 5 conference teams have a bye before playing us then we’d have a full blown conspiracy. And rightfully so.

[quote=“JakkL, post:2, topic:1835”]Thats a good question. I think with basketball having a few days off is mostly a mental break and provides only a few days of healing. Its a chance to get some sleep and not be on the road, which probably takes more out of the kids than games do. As you said it might actually help us that people have had time off and may be a little flat. Its not like we’re the defending champs and everyone always gives us their A game.

If this was a football schedule and we had 5 conference teams have a bye before playing us then we’d have a full blown conspiracy. And rightfully so.[/quote]

You mean the way Alabama had to face all their toughest games vs teams coming off byes this year? Six sec teams on their schedule, to be exact, with a 7th team also coming off a bye in the OOC (Georgia State).

Although all 3 of their losses came at the hands of road/neutral opponents coming off a bye, their loss to LSU was also in a week in which THEY came off a bye also.

But yeah, that schedule was a big question mark for gamblers last off-season. No way they were running through it undefeated again, although they weren’t all that far from doing it.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:1, topic:1835”]Didn’t really want to start a new thread just for the sake of starting a new thread, but didn’t really know where to put this…so…new thread :slight_smile:

I find it kind of weird that so far this year Michigan State, Illinois and Purdue (they scheduled WVU during their bye), have all had conference byes right before playing PSU. That list will grow this week when Wisconsin will enjoy time off before playing this weekend at PSU and then Illinois will get some time off (once again) before the Nits come to town.

I know the league doesn’t make a conscious decision like this when putting the schedule together. Yet after seeing the results from the above examples, do you feel this might actually help PSU in that byes take a team out of their rhythm and routine of practice/practice/game/practice/practice/game. Just asking.

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/sched/big10-m-baskbl-sched.html[/quote]

Who says that the league does not make a conscious decision. I am NOT saying it’s a year-to-year conspiracy. BUT who knows if it was the schedule norm for this season or not. I never seen the league scheduling logic/criteria for this season. Is it public??
Just like NCAA tourney selection. When there are NOT public released criteria…well one never does know for sure…does one??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lone_Gunmen