Sasa!

He really didn’t look all that terrible out there Tuesday night.

It took Ott and Edwards to get hut for him to see the floor.

So, mabye if he ACTUALLY SAW THE FLOOR a little bit more during the season in a game in, game out basis, he’d be a little more of a contriubtor now?

I just like going 10 deep, and he’s the #10 guy. Give him consistent minutes in the first half, and the second half minutes is dictated by his performance and the game situation.

I agree. Might as well develop the freshmen. Keeping the scores close doesn’t offer much consolation to me.

[quote=“TJM78, post:1, topic:800”]He really didn’t look all that terrible out there Tuesday night.

It took Ott and Edwards to get hut for him to see the floor.

So, mabye if he ACTUALLY SAW THE FLOOR a little bit more during the season in a game in, game out basis, he’d be a little more of a contriubtor now?

I just like going 10 deep, and he’s the #10 guy. Give him consistent minutes in the first half, and the second half minutes is dictated by his performance and the game situation.[/quote]

He didn’t look all that terrible out there? Not saying it looked like he didn’t know basketball or anything, but my opinion was that the drop off from his game to Ott’s was noticeable and even Jones was noticeably better. Not saying that shouldn’t be expected with Sasa being a freshmen, but lets not rewrite history here. He’s not Big Ten ready on a team that would be competative.

I mentioned this in the IGT (OSU), Sasa does NOT look 6’9 235 (or however much he weighs). I honestly thought he was Highberger or Kirkpatrick the first time I saw him on TV this season.

Was Michael Joseph EVER Bog Tem readu? Bit BP gave him consistent minutes throughout his carrer on teams that improved year in and yeur out. Enough to spell Meech Now Meech learned the hard way he couldn’t get in to foul trouble (1st ever game at IU), but Joseph’s role was a consistent few munutes, he know his role, and it worked.

Donovan Williams certainly didn’t look Big Ten ready as a freshman. BP got him in there on a consisten basis, thougnht, and he became a pretty good player.

BP did a good job developim players, and I beleove it’s because he consistently went 10 deep, and always had roles for his guys.

The candidtes for starting center two years from now are Sasa, Billy Oliver, and Peter Alexis. If he doesn’t figutre out a way develop
Sasa and Billy, if you think this season is bad…

[quote="Hofeman612, post:3, topic:800"]He didn't look all that terrible out there? Not saying it looked like he didn't know basketball or anything, but my opinion was that the drop off from his game to Ott's was noticeable and even Jones was noticeably better. Not saying that shouldn't be expected with Sasa being a freshmen, but lets not rewrite history here. He's not Big Ten ready on a team that would be competative.[/quote]

Was Michael Joseph EVER Bog Tem readu? Bit BP gave him consistent minutes throughout his carrer on teams that improved year in and yeur out. Enough to spell Meech Now Meech learned the hard way he couldn’t get in to foul trouble (1st ever game at IU), but Joseph’s role was a consistent few munutes, he know his role, and it worked.

Donovan Williams certainly didn’t look Big Ten ready as a freshman. BP got him in there on a consisten basis, thougnht, and he became a pretty good player.

BP did a good job developim players, and I beleove it’s because he consistently went 10 deep, and always had roles for his guys.

The candidtes for starting center two years from now are Sasa, Billy Oliver, and Peter Alexis. If he doesn’t figutre out a way develop

I don’t think you can go much worse than 0-18? :wink: Plus I have a gut feeling in two years from now a new coach will be in town and who knows what current players are still around

Its pretty clear SASA is a project. If he didn’t get minutes yesterday when our bigs gave us nothing, when’s he going to play.

He didn't look all that terrible out there? Not saying it looked like he didn't know basketball or anything, but my opinion was that the drop off from his game to Ott's was noticeable and even Jones was noticeably better. Not saying that shouldn't be expected with Sasa being a freshmen, but lets not rewrite history here. He's not Big Ten ready on a team that would be competative.

I just don’t get the Sasa knockers either. (or as FanofPSU labels him, SASA…is that replacing NASA?). What are the alternatives, first for this year, then next? Drop off from Jones and Ott? He’d almost have to score in the wrong basket to do that. Granted, he looked a little out of position, slow of foot, liability on D, etc., but are those two that productive? Are those two so great on D? Of the 3, at least Sasa had a prolific HS scoring record, easily exceeding those two. He had 33 points vs. Oak Hill, and averaged 25ppg, probably only behind Babb and Battle as scorers as seniors in HS. If Jones and Ott were good on D, I’d agree they should play, but they’re not. I know Sasa didn’t play yesterday, but did in two stints vs. OSU. How does he play then(when they didn’t need him as much, foulwise) and not yesterday?

[quote="Hofeman612, post:3, topic:800"]He didn't look all that terrible out there? Not saying it looked like he didn't know basketball or anything, but my opinion was that the drop off from his game to Ott's was noticeable and even Jones was noticeably better. Not saying that shouldn't be expected with Sasa being a freshmen, but lets not rewrite history here. He's not Big Ten ready on a team that would be competative.[/quote]

I just don’t get the Sasa knockers either. (or as FanofPSU labels him, SASA…is that replacing NASA?). What are the alternatives, first for this year, then next? Drop off from Jones and Ott? He’d almost have to score in the wrong basket to do that. Granted, he looked a little out of position, slow of foot, liability on D, etc., but are those two that productive? Are those two so great on D? Of the 3, at least Sasa had a prolific HS scoring record, easily exceeding those two. He had 33 points vs. Oak Hill, and averaged 25ppg, probably only behind Babb and Battle as scorers as seniors in HS. If Jones and Ott were good on D, I’d agree they should play, but they’re not. I know Sasa didn’t play yesterday, but did in two stints vs. OSU. How does he play then(when they didn’t need him as much, foulwise) and not yesterday?

Ask Ed

I thought he looked fairly good when he played at OSU. If I am not mistaken he actually pointed to another player where he should be on D.

I think Ott was hurt for OSU.

Ott = zero points, 14 mimutes 4 fouls. Now SASA - FRAS could not have been less productive.

It’s kind of odd that everyone keeps comparing his play to Ott and Jones when he isn’t playing center. Every time he’s been in a game it’s been at PF.

I don’t quite get why he’s still at the 4 instead of the 5. I said before the season that his transition to college ball would be much faster at the 5. I’d bet that he’s played the 5 most of his life. Playing 4 is much harder to learn than 5. It requires more athleticism as well.

I’m guessing that ED thought the 5 was locked in and solid and put Sasa at 4 thinking he might be able to get more minutes at 4 than at the 5. No one was predicting the collapse of Jones. We all projected him playing like he did in the NIT.

Move Sasa to center and give him some of Jones’ minutes.

[quote="Hofeman612, post:3, topic:800"]He didn't look all that terrible out there? Not saying it looked like he didn't know basketball or anything, but my opinion was that the drop off from his game to Ott's was noticeable and even Jones was noticeably better.[/quote] It's kind of odd that everyone keeps comparing his play to Ott and Jones when he isn't playing center. Every time he's been in a game it's been at PF.

I don’t quite get why he’s still at the 4 instead of the 5. I said before the season that his transition to college ball would be much faster at the 5. I’d bet that he’s played the 5 most of his life. Playing 4 is much harder to learn than 5. It requires more athleticism as well.

I’m guessing that ED thought the 5 was locked in and solid and put Sasa at 4 thinking he might be able to get more minutes at 4 than at the 5. No one was predicting the collapse of Jones. We all projected him playing like he did in the NIT.

I’d certainly like to see it for 8-10 straight minutes, not 2 minutes, then 2 again 20 minutes later.

[quote="Hofeman612, post:3, topic:800"]He didn't look all that terrible out there? Not saying it looked like he didn't know basketball or anything, but my opinion was that the drop off from his game to Ott's was noticeable and even Jones was noticeably better.[/quote] It's kind of odd that everyone keeps comparing his play to Ott and Jones when he isn't playing center. Every time he's been in a game it's been at PF.

I’d certainly like to see it for 8-10 straight minutes, not 2 minutes, then 2 again 20 minutes later.

I’d love to see Sasa get more minutes. Seems like we need better inside scoring. Ott has played well now that he’s gotten regular minutes. Sasa seems to have even more offensive ability, although he seems even less athletic than Ottzilla. But that could just be a product of moving in slow motion due to not being sure of himself.

I’d love to see Sasa get more minutes. Seems like we need better inside scoring. Ott has played well now that he’s gotten regular minutes. Sasa seems to have even more offensive ability, although he seems even less athletic than Ottzilla. But that could just be a product of moving in slow motion due to not being sure of himself.

Even though I’ve seen very little of Sasa ,I’ve seen enough to know he’s more athletic than Ottzilla

Even though I’ve seen very little of Sasa ,I’ve seen enough to know he’s more athletic than Ottzilla
Right. There is no way you would ever put Ott on a non-center in man-to-man like Sasa has been doing. There is no reason why Sasa can’t play center even if he is only 6’7" and not his listed 6’9". He’s not going to block any shots, but Ott and Jones don’t block shots either. Being a center is all about fighting for position and rebounding.

A good coach would do the following. Against Iowa, Indiana, NW…ie a team that doesn’t have a dominant, overpowering center that could make Sasa look bad, he would start Sasa and run him a good 25 minutes with the first team for the game. Basically see what he has if given starters minutes with the starting team for a large portion of the game. If he performs, he gets to stay in a larger minute role the rest of the season, if he he just is overwhelmed and overmatched, you know that he isn’t ready and he gets garbage minutes the rest of the year. But at least you know what you have and Sasa knows what he has to work on in the off-season.

Ditto.

Some years ago, there was a WSJ article about the Dodgers’ ‘A’ level pitching coach, a Polish guy, who had been doing it for over 30 (maybe 40) years down at Vero Beach, FL. The reporter recounted that during the interview with the coach, a young pitcher had worked himself into a jam. Something like walk, single, walk, nobody out. The reporter asked, “don’t you think you should take him out, or at least go speak to him?” The coach answered, “No, we want to see if he can get out of it, see what he’s made of’.”

I always like to see freshmen get big minutes to see what they’re made of.

A good coach would do the following. Against Iowa, Indiana, NW...ie a team that doesn't have a dominant, overpowering center that could make Sasa look bad, he would start Sasa and run him a good 25 minutes with the first team for the game. Basically see what he has if given starters minutes with the starting team for a large portion of the game. If he performs, he gets to stay in a larger minute role the rest of the season, if he he just is overwhelmed and overmatched, you know that he isn't ready and he gets garbage minutes the rest of the year. But at least you know what you have and Sasa knows what he has to work on in the off-season.

Ditto.

Some years ago, there was a WSJ article about the Dodgers’ ‘A’ level pitching coach, a Polish guy, who had been doing it for over 30 (maybe 40) years down at Vero Beach, FL. The reporter recounted that during the interview with the coach, a young pitcher had worked himself into a jam. Something like walk, single, walk, nobody out. The reporter asked, “don’t you think you should take him out, or at least go speak to him?” The coach answered, “No, we want to see if he can get out of it, see what he’s made of’.”

I always like to see freshmen get big minutes to see what they’re made of.

So what race was the pitcher? ???