PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Sad ending: Monnie Brown passes

While it hasn’t yet been picked up by the press, Monnie Brown has passed away. Details are still sketchy but it’s been confirmed by enough sources that it’s beyond a rumor stage. While his post PSU life took a tragic turn, Monnie is still remember fondly by his many teammates and fans. May he rest in peace.

I just hope his death isn’t related to recent drug charges.

RIP.

:’(

We were classmates together (although you never knew me). Your play on the court game me some of my most joyful and memorable college moments. You helped make me a Penn State hoops fan for life. Thank you.

May you rest in peace, and I wish for God’s belssing upon you and your family.

What a sad thing.

Very sad! My heart goes out to his Mom Jackie. :’(

I went to school during those years. Recall each year that team got a little bit better, and a little bit better until the NCAA’s and the UCLA game.

Another hero falls. Joe, Kid Carter and now “Money” ('cause he was!).

Terrible…just terrible.

I bet Jonesy will have something to say in his next article…

:frowning:

He was a key ingredient of the Parkhill group that took the program from a dismal period to resurecting a downtrodden program. Way too young.

RIP. :’(

This just tragic.
So very sad.

My favorite player during my PSU days (89-93), and probably still my favorite PSU hoops player ever. Tragic news.

Has anything been published about this yet? I’ve been searching Google news the last few days looking for something, but I’ve come across nothing to this point. I thought that we’d see something in print by this time.

Nothing really official yet. Dave Jones tweeted Sunday night that he was going to have something today but he didn’t publish a story. Mark Brennan made a short post on FOS Saturday relaying that he had heard about if from some former players. NGameday is working on a story for StateCollege.com and/or Black Shoe Diaries. However, for understandable reasons, I don’t think he wants to be the first one to put it in print.

[quote="frats, post:11, topic:3166"]Has anything been published about this yet? I've been searching Google news the last few days looking for something, but I've come across nothing to this point. I thought that we'd see something in print by this time.[/quote]

Nothing really official yet. Dave Jones tweeted Sunday night that he was going to have something today but he didn’t publish a story. Mark Brennan made a short post on FOS Saturday relaying that he had heard about if from some former players. NGameday is working on a story for StateCollege.com and/or Black Shoe Diaries. However, for understandable reasons, I don’t think he wants to be the first one to put it in print.

Sometimes getting out front with the truth, no matter how difficult the situation, is the best thing to do. It prevents rumors from taking on a life of their own and becoming the “truth”.

[quote="frats, post:11, topic:3166"]Has anything been published about this yet? I've been searching Google news the last few days looking for something, but I've come across nothing to this point. I thought that we'd see something in print by this time.[/quote]

Sometimes getting out front with the truth, no matter how difficult the situation, is the best thing to do. It prevents rumors from taking on a life of their own and becoming the “truth”.

As long as what you are saying is the truth. It’s when you are putting rumor in print that there’s a problem. There’s been such a rush to get things into print around these parts the last few months. I can’t blame anyone for taking their time and making sure that any reports they make are truly accurate.

Thanks. I was just surprised that I wasn’t even able to find something like a death notice or obituary.

Dave’s been talking to people, but they haven’t published anything yet. I hope it’s not becuase he’s finding things better left unpublished.

As long as what you are saying is the truth. It’s when you are putting rumor in print that there’s a problem. There’s been such a rush to get things into print around these parts the last few months. I can’t blame anyone for taking their time and making sure that any reports they make are truly accurate.

True enough. I guess I thought Dave knew the truth and was holding off reporting it.

True enough. I guess I thought Dave knew the truth and was holding off reporting it.

I think he has been swamped with conference tournaments, selection sunday, and the NCAAs.

I’m working on a story, but I’ll admit that I’m yielding to Dave a little bit on this one.

There’s still been nothing in the Baltimore papers that I’ve seen.