PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Robbie Hummel

Robbie Hummel went down tonight with a knee injury. Hoping for the best. What a damn shame! Purdue looke like a legitimate NCAA title contender.

It didn’t look good. Those knee injuries that occur on non-contact plays can be tough. He seemed pretty upbeat on the bench, lets hope for the best.

Feel sorry for the kid, but I hope he makes a full recovery just after the Big 10 Tourney.

I didn’t see it. But that is too bad. Hummel’s a great player and a key for Purdue in the tourney. Hope he recovers.

Going to be evaluated today: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4943870

Amazing that Purdue pulled out the win last night. Minnesota let a really good chance to get back on the bubble slip through their fingers.

ACL, out for the year (obviously)

That sucks for Purdue. OSU is definitely my favorite team out of the B10. Wisky jumps Purdue for second and I’m not sure if Purdue will be jumped by MSU now… gotta see them without Hummel first.

That sucks for the kid and the Boilers. Especially Hummel. That might keep him from playing next year. I feel bad that the team gets affected so much, Purdue really had it going.

[quote="Tom, post:6, topic:884"]ACL, out for the year (obviously)[/quote] That sucks for the kid and the Boilers. Especially Hummel. That might keep him from playing next year. I feel bad that the team gets affected so much, Purdue really had it going.

its a shame. great kid. legit title contender too.

Yea. Everyone is “sadddened” by the loss of Hummel for the Purdue program. Makes me wonder how many are holding in a certain amount of “glee” that PSU will get to face Purdue for the second straight season at home without Hummel present?

I can honestly say not me. I am not a Big Ten flag-waver but I definitely wanted Purdue to go into the tournament at full strength. It actually hurt when I heard it was the ACL and he was finished. It might be because I respect the Purdue program and Hummel but the thought that we get to play them at home again without them having their best player never crossed my mind until the question you proposed.

I want us to win our games but we don’t really matter on their scope anyway. I hope that no one is holding or withholding or outspokenly letting loose any glee. I think most fans of college basketball probably are a little bummed that a legit title contender basically had the eight ball dropped on them without a standing ten count.

It sucks. I think we could have beat them at home even with them at full strength if things clicked right. Odds not good but still. I don’t think PSU hoops fans have become the guy without an arm subconsciously hoping everyone else loses their legs just to put us on a semi-close playing level.

[quote="Spike the Kool-Aid, post:10, topic:884"]Yea. Everyone is "sadddened" by the loss of Hummel for the Purdue program. Makes me wonder how many are holding in a certain amount of "glee" that PSU will get to face Purdue for the second straight season at home without Hummel present?[/quote]

I can honestly say not me. I am not a Big Ten flag-waver but I definitely wanted Purdue to go into the tournament at full strength. It actually hurt when I heard it was the ACL and he was finished. It might be because I respect the Purdue program and Hummel but the thought that we get to play them at home again without them having their best player never crossed my mind until the question you proposed.

I want us to win our games but we don’t really matter on their scope anyway. I hope that no one is holding or withholding or outspokenly letting loose any glee. I think most fans of college basketball probably are a little bummed that a legit title contender basically had the eight ball dropped on them without a standing ten count.

It sucks. I think we could have beat them at home even with them at full strength if things clicked right. Odds not good but still. I don’t think PSU hoops fans have become the guy without an arm subconsciously hoping everyone else loses their legs just to put us on a semi-close playing level.

It’s nice to win games. But it doesn’t prove anything if you beat a team that is short-handed. There is no “glee” here.

[quote="Spike the Kool-Aid, post:10, topic:884"]Yea. Everyone is "sadddened" by the loss of Hummel for the Purdue program. Makes me wonder how many are holding in a certain amount of "glee" that PSU will get to face Purdue for the second straight season at home without Hummel present?[/quote]

It’s nice to win games. But it doesn’t prove anything if you beat a team that is short-handed. There is no “glee” here.

Really? Because I can recall a certain amount of “glee” from more than a handful of people after beating the short-handed Boilermakers last season. I can even recall using the win over the short-handed Boilers as evidence that PSU deserved to be in the NCAA Tournament field. If it “doesn’t prove anything”, then perhaps Penn State should void their win last season over Purdue?

Really? Because I can recall a certain amount of “glee” from more than a handful of people after beating the short-handed Boilermakers last season. I can even recall using the win over the short-handed Boilers as evidence that PSU deserved to be in the NCAA Tournament field. If it “doesn’t prove anything”, then perhaps Penn State should void their win last season over Purdue?

Gee then, I guess we should then void PU’s convincing win over PSU two years ago right after G went down with a season ending ACL injury? ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

Gee then, I guess we should then void PU’s convincing win over PSU two years ago right after G went down with a season ending ACL injury? ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

Perhaps you can Cappy.

I wonder if the Purdue fans were thinking at the time Geary went down, “Gee, I am gleeful that Geary Claxton isn’t playing this game and now we have a chance to beat those pesky Nittany Lions”. ::slight_smile:

Perhaps you can Cappy.

I wonder if the Purdue fans were thinking at the time Geary went down, “Gee, I am gleeful that Geary Claxton isn’t playing this game and now we have a chance to beat those pesky Nittany Lions”. ::slight_smile:

I mean, you’re seriously starting up an argument just for the sake of arguing. Not a single person said here that they were happy that Hummel got hurt. No one said last year that they were happy that we beat them without Hummel. But somehow, since Hummel was out, our win over them should no longer count? Believe it or not, most “fans” of a team will try and state their case for why their team should make the NCAAs. They’ll also be happy with wins, regardless of who takes the floor for the other team. Are you supposed to automatically not be happy after a win if it’s against a shorthanded team? I have no idea what argument you’re trying to make in this thread.

Perhaps you can Cappy.

I mean, you’re seriously starting up an argument just for the sake of arguing. Not a single person said here that they were happy that Hummel got hurt. No one said last year that they were happy that we beat them without Hummel. But somehow, since Hummel was out, our win over them should no longer count? Believe it or not, most “fans” of a team will try and state their case for why their team should make the NCAAs. They’ll also be happy with wins, regardless of who takes the floor for the other team. Are you supposed to automatically not be happy after a win if it’s against a shorthanded team? I have no idea what argument you’re trying to make in this thread.

I never opined that anyone said that they were happy that Hummel got hurt, but thanks for misconstruing what I posted.

What I posted was…

Yea. Everyone is "sadddened" by the loss of Hummel for the Purdue program. Makes me wonder [b]how many are holding in a certain amount of "glee" that PSU will get to face Purdue for the second straight season at home without Hummel present[/b]?

I am not trying to make any sort of argument in this thread. I merely posited that in the face of such outwardly concern for Purdue and Hummel, whether there were other people (or the same ones) who were "glee"ful that Purdue will be without it’s second leading scorer when PSU faces the Boilers. Ask Cappy if you wonder why someone would want to start an argument about whether wins should count or not. I was merely responding with an example to the opinion that “it doesn’t prove anything if you beat a team that is short-handed”.

Perhaps you can Cappy.

I never opined that anyone said that they were happy that Hummel got hurt, but thanks for misconstruing what I posted.

What I posted was…

Yea. Everyone is "sadddened" by the loss of Hummel for the Purdue program. Makes me wonder [b]how many are holding in a certain amount of "glee" that PSU will get to face Purdue for the second straight season at home without Hummel present[/b]?

I am not trying to make any sort of argument in this thread. I merely posited that in the face of such outwardly concern for Purdue and Hummel, whether there were other people (or the same ones) who were "glee"ful that Purdue will be without it’s second leading scorer when PSU faces the Boilers. Ask Cappy if you wonder why someone would want to start an argument about whether wins should count or not. I was merely responding with an example to the opinion that “it doesn’t prove anything if you beat a team that is short-handed”.

Huh? You said that you wondering how many are “holding in glee” in Hummel getting hurt. If that doesn’t mean that you think that they are happy, then I apologize. But I always associated “glee” with “happiness”.

Perhaps you can Cappy.

What I posted was…

Huh? You said that you wondering how many are “holding in glee” in Hummel getting hurt. If that doesn’t mean that you think that they are happy, then I apologize. But I always associated “glee” with “happiness”.

Let me explain so even you can understand.

I posted…

Makes me wonder how many are [u][b]holding in[/b][/u] a certain amount of "glee" that PSU will get to face Purdue for the second straight season at home without Hummel present?
Do you notice the words HOLDING IN? That would indicate that I was wondering how many people are feeling "glee"ful that Hummel is hurt, without actually outwardly expressing such "glee" (since such pleasure at the expense of an opponent would be in bad taste for Penn State fans).

Your response of …

Not a single person said here that they were happy that Hummel got hurt.
Is a poor interpretation of what I posted and, in my opinion, an attempt to create controversy and an argument where one was never intended.

I NEVER insinuated that anyone ever said that they were happy that Hummel got hurt.

However, I was wondering (see the word wonder indicates a state of curiosity, not a state of certainty) how many people were HOLDING IN GLEE that PSU would get to face Purdue w/o Hummel. Since it was a state of curiosity, and not certainty, there was no claim that “a single person said here that they were happy that Hummel got hurt”.

I choose my words very appropriately. Perhaps you might actually read them with the same appropriateness, instead of trying to twist what I posted in an attempt to create an argument where one was never intended. :wink:

Perhaps you can Cappy.

What I posted was…

Let me explain so even you can understand.

I posted…

Makes me wonder how many are [u][b]holding in[/b][/u] a certain amount of "glee" that PSU will get to face Purdue for the second straight season at home without Hummel present?
Do you notice the words HOLDING IN? That would indicate that I was wondering how many people are feeling "glee"ful that Hummel is hurt, without actually outwardly expressing such "glee" (since such pleasure at the expense of an opponent would be in bad taste for Penn State fans).

Your response of …

Not a single person said here that they were happy that Hummel got hurt.
Is a poor interpretation of what I posted and, in my opinion, an attempt to create controversy and an argument where one was never intended.

I NEVER insinuated that anyone ever said that they were happy that Hummel got hurt.

However, I was wondering (see the word wonder indicates a state of curiosity, not a state of certainty) how many people were HOLDING IN GLEE that PSU would get to face Purdue w/o Hummel. Since it was a state of curiosity, and not certainty, there was no claim that “a single person said here that they were happy that Hummel got hurt”.

I choose my words very appropriately. Perhaps you might actually read them with the same appropriateness, instead of trying to twist what I posted in an attempt to create an argument where one was never intended. :wink:

I was wondering how many PSU fans think Spike the Kool-Aid is an idiot.