Rivals: Ten Coaches on the Hot Seat

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1100007

8. Ed DeChellis, Penn State Buzz: Penn State's basketball history is an embarrassing one. The Nittany Lions have made nine NCAA appearances but just three since 1965. DeChellis, a Penn State alum, is heading into his eighth season as coach and has had just two winning records (one of those was 15-14) and one postseason appearance (NIT title in 2008-09). Penn State is a difficult basketball job, no doubt. Still, another losing record may mean new blood is needed.

May mean new blood is needed? MAY? Mike Huguenin is too kind.

10. Bruce Weber, Illinois Buzz: A lot is expected of Illinois in 2010-11, and that could be a double-edged sword for Weber. The Illini made the 2009 NCAA tournament and were expected to return in 2010; instead, they went to the NIT. Weber is entering his eighth season with the Illini and has been to five NCAA tourneys. But the two "misses" have come in the past three seasons, and if the Illini don't make the field of 68 next season, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him replaced. The flipside: It would be a big surprise if the Illini don't make the field.

If Bruce was coaching in State College, he would have a Joe Paterno type contract (length wise… lifetime). :smiley:

The one thing about Bruce was that I always felt like he knew what he was doing. Even when his teams weren’t winning I never felt like they were lost. I can’t say I have had the same sort of confidence since he left. Do I think he would be successful now? Maybe not but I would take him over Ed and a lot of other guys.

Parkhill or Weber?

[quote="pmhewitt, post:2, topic:1249"]The one thing about Bruce was that I always felt like he knew what he was doing. Even when his teams weren't winning I never felt like they were lost. I can't say I have had the same sort of confidence since he left. Do I think he would be successful now? Maybe not but I would take him over Ed and a lot of other guys.[/quote]

Parkhill or Weber?

Well I was talking about Parkhill but I guess I’d take either!

[quote=“noobd, post:1, topic:1249”]http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1100007

[quote]8. Ed DeChellis, Penn State
Buzz: Penn State’s basketball history is an embarrassing one. The Nittany Lions have made nine NCAA appearances but just three since 1965. DeChellis, a Penn State alum, is heading into his eighth season as coach and has had just two winning records (one of those was 15-14) and one postseason appearance (NIT title in 2008-09). Penn State is a difficult basketball job, no doubt. Still, another losing record may mean new blood is needed.[/quote]

May mean new blood is needed? MAY? Mike Huguenin is too kind.[/quote]

hopefully Ed will conduct a major turnaround this season, win 24 or 25 games, and the program will take off. I would love to see that more than anything else. But if we see another NIT-or-worse season, I just hope that the PSU admin can see how their flawed criteria for a coach got them into this mess, quit subscribing to nonsensical excuses, and make a sensible decision on who to bring in here next.

24 or 25 games!?!! I am assuming that includes post season play (I’ll give you a few extra wins) so here it goes:

12 OOC games: 10-2 is more than fair
18 B10 games: X-X
B10 tourny: 1 game?
NCAA: 1 game max?

Find variable X. X = 12/13 wins or 12-6, 13-5.

If you think PSU will go 12-6 or 13-5 in the B10, you are BAT s— INSANE. Of course this number can be inflated if the Nits were to make another NIT run that tacks an extra 5 games (at max) onto their win total. Here is the math with a Final 4 NIT run (4 NIT wins):

12 OOC games: 10-2
18 B10 games:
B10 tourny: 1 win
NIT: 4 wins

11-3 before the B10 is taken into account. 15-3 includes the NIT run. To reach your 24 win total, PSU would have to go 9-9 in the B10 (24-13 final record).

So your 24/25 win total is possible (but unlikely, and not desired) with an NIT run. But there is no way PSU wins 24/25 games without getting 4/5 wins in the NIT. PSU was 27-11 in their NIT run 2 seasons ago; they also played a garbage OOC (13 games long too). I mean sure we can all dream for a 24/25 win season… but if anyone realistically thinks that PSU will increase their win total by 13/14 games in just one season when they arguably have a worse team AND the B10 is going to be a lot better than the year before, is pretty delusional.

;D

If we make the NIT they’ll keep/extend his contract. Don’t even doubt it.

Its a slippery slope. The contract extension is used as a recruiting tool but it also shows recruits / fans that the standard here is making the NIT once every couple years and call it success.
:-\

You think a 15 or 16 win season and an NIT birth gets Ed an extension? My head tells me maybe your right. My heart tells me that maybe, just maybe PSU will finally do right by the basketball program and its fans, all 26 of us.

[quote="NGameday, post:7, topic:1249"]If we make the NIT they'll keep/extend his contract. Don't even doubt it.[/quote]

You think a 15 or 16 win season and an NIT birth gets Ed an extension? My head tells me maybe your right. My heart tells me that maybe, just maybe PSU will finally do right by the basketball program and its fans, all 26 of us.

http://victorybellrings.com/2010/05/25/why-ed-dechellis-could-get-an-extention/

[quote="NGameday, post:7, topic:1249"]If we make the NIT they'll keep/extend his contract. Don't even doubt it.[/quote]

Not that it make much difference in his argument but the author of the post ought to learn how to read charts.

Not that it make much difference in his argument but the author of the post ought to learn how to read charts.

Reading fail…wonder who wrote that…consider it magically edited

Obviously someone from this board!

That article is a repeat. That was written ahwile ago. I can’t remember exactly when, but it was definitely before Paul Hewitt signed another contract. He had interviewed for the St. John’s and BC jobs, then signed with Georgia Tech. I think that article was written before the NCAA tourney. You notice they don’t mention Ed’s '09/10 record, or any other for the past season? Retread.

[quote="NGameday, post:12, topic:1249"]Reading fail...wonder who wrote that..consider it magically edited[/quote]

Funny, I was thinking that we haven’t seen a chart, scale or graph of any kind recently. Guess we were DUE. :slight_smile:

[quote="NGameday, post:12, topic:1249"]Reading fail...wonder who wrote that..consider it magically edited[/quote]

Funny, I was thinking that we haven’t seen a chart, scale or graph of any kind recently. Guess we were DUE. :slight_smile:

Now that you mention it, you’re right! I guess Lar has been busy this summer. ;D

[quote=“noobd, post:6, topic:1249”]24 or 25 games!?!! I am assuming that includes post season play (I’ll give you a few extra wins) so here it goes:

12 OOC games: 10-2 is more than fair
18 B10 games: X-X
B10 tourny: 1 game?
NCAA: 1 game max?

Find variable X. X = 12/13 wins or 12-6, 13-5.

If you think PSU will go 12-6 or 13-5 in the B10, you are BAT s— INSANE. Of course this number can be inflated if the Nits were to make another NIT run that tacks an extra 5 games (at max) onto their win total. Here is the math with a Final 4 NIT run (4 NIT wins):

12 OOC games: 10-2
18 B10 games:
B10 tourny: 1 win
NIT: 4 wins

11-3 before the B10 is taken into account. 15-3 includes the NIT run. To reach your 24 win total, PSU would have to go 9-9 in the B10 (24-13 final record).

So your 24/25 win total is possible (but unlikely, and not desired) with an NIT run. But there is no way PSU wins 24/25 games without getting 4/5 wins in the NIT. PSU was 27-11 in their NIT run 2 seasons ago; they also played a garbage OOC (13 games long too). I mean sure we can all dream for a 24/25 win season… but if anyone realistically thinks that PSU will increase their win total by 13/14 games in just one season when they arguably have a worse team AND the B10 is going to be a lot better than the year before, is pretty delusional.

;D[/quote]

never said I thought it was likely. I would like to see it happen, because the best case scenario is to be able to continue building a program without the disruption of a coaching change. But if the program isn’t building in the right direction, change has to be made. I think with his scheduling, 24 or 25 wins are what he is going to need to become a tourney lock. I agree with you that it is unlikely and he probably won’t do it. It’s too bad, because it is expensive and embarrassing for the school to fire coaches. I’d like to see someone succeed here and not have to make a change. But I don’t know how long you’re supposed to give the guy to get to the NCAA. I don’t see any indication that he will ever make an NCAA. The NIT in isolation is not worth anything, we just proved that to ourselves. It’s only meaningful if it is part of the path to a more prestigious program. That has not been happening here.