PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

RIP Dick Harter

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2012/03/former_oregon_ducks_basketball.html

R.I.P. :frowning:

Wow, bummer. He made it to 81, though, living a large part of his life out of a suitcase. A suitcase that contained a carton or two of Marlboros.

Pat Chambers is from the same coaching tree - the Big 5. There are similarities in teams coached by Big 5 guys that I can see on the floor now.

Harter had one of the great sports photographs of all time in his office. It was his Kamikaze kids, probably all five of them, splayed across the floor for a loose ball, while the UCLA players remained standing in the scrum.

Back in the early 80’s, I had the good fortune to sit next to both Joepa and Dick Harter at a dinner I’d helped to set up in the Chicago area. Although I mostly talked to Joe, Coach Harter shared a story with me. He and an assistant had had an in-home visit with the seven-footer Sam Bowie and his father. Shortly after they arrived, the father said something like “Ok, so, the opening amount we can talk about is $50,000.” Coach Harter stood up, gestured to his assistant to do the same, thanked the Bowies for their interest in Penn State, and left. Of course, Sam Bowie wound up signing with Kentucky. Apparently, no Fed-Ex packages were involved.

Which is the “road less traveled” today, the dirty one or the honorable one? R.I.P. Coach Harter.

There may have been such a photo op or two this season with Chamber’s Attitudists.

Harter had one of the great sports photographs of all time in his office. It was his Kamikaze kids, probably all five of them, splayed across the floor for a loose ball, while the UCLA players remained standing in the scrum.

There may have been such a photo op or two this season with Chamber’s Attitudists.

One of the great aspects of that photo, as I recall it, was a UCLA legend was standing straight up in the midst of it. I want to think it was Walton, but I don’t trust my memory on anything.

[quote=“DavidM, post:4, topic:3173”]Back in the early 80’s, I had the good fortune to sit next to both Joepa and Dick Harter at a dinner I’d helped to set up in the Chicago area. Although I mostly talked to Joe, Coach Harter shared a story with me. He and an assistant had had an in-home visit with the seven-footer Sam Bowie and his father. Shortly after they arrived, the father said something like “Ok, so, the opening amount we can talk about is $50,000.” Coach Harter stood up, gestured to his assistant to do the same, thanked the Bowies for their interest in Penn State, and left. Of course, Sam Bowie wound up signing with Kentucky. Apparently, no Fed-Ex packages were involved.

Which is the “road less traveled” today, the dirty one or the honorable one? R.I.P. Coach Harter.[/quote]

Nice story, David, and welcome to the board.

Having arrived at PSU in the Fall of '83, I didn’t get to see Harter as coach. Any of the old timers around here with other stories to share during his PSU days.

Any keywords I can search to find the photo?

The Harter hire is what sparked me to get my 1st BB season tickets back then.

As I recall, he’d split his squad during pre-game warmups. Half of them would stand at mid court and stare at the opposition, watching them do their warmups. I always thought it was sort of an intimidation tactic, kind of a stare-down. His teams were gritty.

My seats were in the courtside bleachers, top row, at the extreme edge behind the home basket. It afforded me a view of Coach Harter and Coach Edelman walking out from the locker room pre-game. They’d invariably pause behind the bleachers, just below my seat, while Harter crushed out his last smoke before coming out to the bench.

I really thought he’d get it done here.

RIP and Thank you Coach Harter.

Always thought Harter perfectly portrayed the classic “basketball is my life guy.”

Illini: Thanks. I’ve been lurking for a long time, but just recently got inspired to register and join the group. Inspired by what? The recruiting success, of course. Suddenly, the program seems to have a serious shot at some serious success down the road. I lived many years in the northern Chicago suburbs, and remember running into Mike Lang, one of Harter’s leading players, at a Japanese restaurant in Barrington.

I watched the first half of the first game this season, right after the Nebraska football game, and knew right away that hope had returned to Happy Valley hoops. I hope I can contribute something positive to this forum.

PSU press release, never knew he was born in Pa.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031312aaa.html

I think it was three cartons. Worked with his ex-wife for several years. One of my favorite stories she had about Dick was how he ruffled quite a few feathers for having the gall to close the track to joggers during practice.

I went to a public meeting on that his first year here. He made the case that a professor wouldn’t allow people to be running laps in his or her classroom while he was teaching, but the running addicts were loaded for bear and were having none of it. When he informed them that he would not have come to Penn State if he could not have shut down the facility during practice, he seemed a bit surprised that no one found that in the slightest bit persuasive. These guys aren’t used to being mocked to their face from their athletics department thrones. :slight_smile:

[quote="timauman, post:13, topic:3173"]One of my favorite stories she had about Dick was how he ruffled quite a few feathers for having the gall to close the track to joggers during practice.[/quote]

I went to a public meeting on that his first year here. He made the case that a professor wouldn’t allow people to be running laps in his or her classroom while he was teaching, but the running addicts were loaded for bear and were having none of it. When he informed them that he would not have come to Penn State if he could not have shut down the facility during practice, he seemed a bit surprised that no one found that in the slightest bit persuasive. These guys aren’t used to being mocked to their face from their athletics department thrones. :slight_smile:

I am amazed that Parkhill didn’t stroke out a couple of times in practice because of that track.