PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Revelation

Don’t look now, but it appears that the PSU 247 board and the BWI Lion’s Den board have discovered men’s basketball. I think I’ve seen more basketball talk on those boards in the last 24 hours than I have all season.

'We need to recruit a center!"

Tim - I didn’t say it was intelligent, reasoned talk - just talk.

Here are my top five mindless posts from the other boards:

1. We need to recruit a center.

2. Losing is unacceptable.

3. We need a three point shooter.

4. We need to recruit Philly.

5. We need to play better on the road.

You just have to grin and bear it. I have to hand it to Lar, he tries to make reasoned responses on the other boards, but most seem to miss the points.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:3, topic:3072”]Tim - I didn’t say it was intelligent, reasoned talk - just talk.

You just have to grin and bear it. I have to hand it to Lar, he tries to make reasoned responses on the other boards, but most seem to miss the points.[/quote]

How could you possibly overlook the oh-so-common “I just knew Chambers had the energy to turn the disaster of a program that DeChellis left behind”?

[quote=“Great Santini, post:3, topic:3072”]Tim - I didn’t say it was intelligent, reasoned talk - just talk.

You just have to grin and bear it. I have to hand it to Lar, he tries to make reasoned responses on the other boards, but most seem to miss the points.[/quote]

1. Posts that imply a belief that Villanova is North Carolina, Indiana or UCLA.

I wonder if any of those Dilberts even know that Ed was Big Ten Coach of the Year a couple years back.

Because of the internet, I am under the belief that “recruiting” in football is presently followed by more people than the actual games. Football recruiting is a 12 month money maker. It seems more people are more concerned about the team’s recruiting class ranking than the teams actual won-loss record.
With the spark of recruiting success by PC the basketball recruiting bandwagon is starting to fill up! Basketball recruiting mania will not be as strong as football because of the huge difference in scholarship numbers. But, it will still provide much internet interest.
But the internet interest is a PLUS! A bigger plus would be to see more students in the BJC.

[quote=“tundra, post:7, topic:3072”]Because of the internet, I am under the belief that “recruiting” in football is presently followed by more people than the actual games. Football recruiting is a 12 month money maker. It seems more people are more concerned about the team’s recruiting class ranking than the teams actual won-loss record.
With the spark of recruiting success by PC the basketball recruiting bandwagon is starting to fill up! Basketball recruiting mania will not be as strong as football because of the huge difference in scholarship numbers. But, it will still provide much internet interest.
But the internet interest is a PLUS! A bigger plus would be to see more students in the BJC.[/quote]

I agree on all counts. A packed BJC would be a big help to the team and to recruiting (maybe even in that order).

What has really bothered me about the complete lack of sophistication of our base is the lack of appreciation for the teams that come in every year, the fetishization of all things Big East, and the latency in recognizing our teams that have been pretty good and damn exciting (basically any team with Joe Crispin, Geary Claxton, Jamelle Cornley or Talor Battle).

[quote="tundra, post:7, topic:3072"]Because of the internet, I am under the belief that "recruiting" in football is presently followed by more people than the actual games. Football recruiting is a 12 month money maker. It seems more people are more concerned about the team's recruiting class ranking than the teams actual won-loss record. With the spark of recruiting success by PC the basketball recruiting bandwagon is starting to fill up! Basketball recruiting mania will not be as strong as football because of the huge difference in scholarship numbers. But, it will still provide much internet interest. But the internet interest is a PLUS! A bigger plus would be to see more students in the BJC.[/quote]

I agree on all counts. A packed BJC would be a big help to the team and to recruiting (maybe even in that order).

What has really bothered me about the complete lack of sophistication of our base is the lack of appreciation for the teams that come in every year, the fetishization of all things Big East, and the latency in recognizing our teams that have been pretty good and damn exciting (basically any team with Joe Crispin, Geary Claxton, Jamelle Cornley or Talor Battle).

Speaking of exciting basketball anyone know where I could get a copy of the Crispin Brother’s Show at Ky game ?
After watching it a couple of 100 times … my VHS copy bit the dust yesterday afternoon

Been one of my 4 mainstays (PSU / UNC, PSU/Ucla, PSU/Ill ) every year for my ‘warmup’ prior to the start of every BBall season
Also play the Ky game alot because I dislike them so much and love to play it before one of their big games rooting for them to lose unfortunately Vandy left them off the hook last nite ( maybe because my damn tape broke halfway thruway the 2nd half !!! )

Any help would be greatly appreciated … and easily worth a bottle of Herradura Anejo to me

I’ve always been of the opinion that a good basketball program can be a huge benefit to football recruiting. When recruits come in to visit in December and January, there’s nothing like a packed BJC for a hoops game to compliment the whole visit experience.

I also think that a good hoops team can be the centerpiece making State College/University Park a late fall/winter destination mini-vacation spot. With wrestling being a powerhouse, women’s BB on the way back up, hockey and hopefully men’s hoops, it seems that there should always be at least two premier events going on in any late fall/early winter weekend (i.e. two of hoops, women’s hoops, hockey and wrestling).

To Jlr820–Not trying to direct traffic to other sites but there’s a guy on BWI called southernlion who has a pinned post at the top of the free board. He will trade or sell you a copy of the KY game. I have dealt with the guy and he never screwed me. I actually traded him a few basketball games he didn’t have for a copy of the Providence game.

As for the revelation, the sea refuses no river. Sit at a game sometime and listen to the conversations around you. It’s actually just as bad at football games sometimes. Think of the workers in the vineyard and let it go. It’s all good.

There is never any discouragement of sending people elsewhere from here, just for the record…

Okie doke.

[quote=“Freethrow_Lion, post:11, topic:3072”]To Jlr820–Not trying to direct traffic to other sites but there’s a guy on BWI called southernlion who has a pinned post at the top of the free board. He will trade or sell you a copy of the KY game. I have dealt with the guy and he never screwed me. I actually traded him a few basketball games he didn’t have for a copy of the Providence game.

As for the revelation, the sea refuses no river. Sit at a game sometime and listen to the conversations around you. It’s actually just as bad at football games sometimes. Think of the workers in the vineyard and let it go. It’s all good.[/quote]
Thanks Free!

I doubt it. But it is what it is. Lots of fans these days - not just at PSU, mind you, but all over - can’t be bothered to even check the box scores of the teams they claim to support unless said teams are in the running for a title. I guess you can chalk it up to a sense of entitlement. The ironic thing is, of course, that they moan and whine about not having a better program but can’t be bothered to ever attend a game and just cheer for their school. Those types of fans are part of the reason why we’ve never gained as much ground as we could have. When those folks start criticizing our coaches, players, or anyone else associated with program, I tend to just ignore it. They really have no ground to stand on. If you just don’t like basketball, that’s cool. But if you’re going to claim to be a PSU basketball fan, you really should know something about it or have shown some kind of support for it before throwing any tantrums or trashing anyone associated with the team.

To Jlr820--Not trying to direct traffic to other sites but there's a guy on BWI called southernlion who has a pinned post at the top of the free board. He will trade or sell you a copy of the KY game. I have dealt with the guy and he never screwed me. I actually traded him a few basketball games he didn't have for a copy of the Providence game.

As for the revelation, the sea refuses no river. Sit at a game sometime and listen to the conversations around you. It’s actually just as bad at football games sometimes. Think of the workers in the vineyard and let it go. It’s all good.

Thanks Free!

You got it. If I recall he has a list of his whole catalogue. If you have something he doesn’t have he will trade you even up and all it will cost you is postage.

Maybe there should be an “entrance exam” for people wishing to join the board. :slight_smile:

[quote="tundra, post:7, topic:3072"]Because of the internet, I am under the belief that "recruiting" in football is presently followed by more people than the actual games. Football recruiting is a 12 month money maker. It seems more people are more concerned about the team's recruiting class ranking than the teams actual won-loss record. With the spark of recruiting success by PC the basketball recruiting bandwagon is starting to fill up! Basketball recruiting mania will not be as strong as football because of the huge difference in scholarship numbers. But, it will still provide much internet interest. But the internet interest is a PLUS! A bigger plus would be to see more students in the BJC.[/quote]

When more people start following recruting, they’ll get to know the new kids coming in, and that earlier interest will get their fannies in the BJC earlier and in bigger numbers. It will also slove the “latency” problem as they’ll know all about the next crop of kids when they come up and not have to “discover” them after they’ve already been here and made their mark.

My biggest peeve might be the Penn Staters whose favorite basketball team is North Carolina, Duke or someone other than Penn State.

I’ll vouch for him also. Southernlion provided me with nice DVDs of all 5 games of the 2009 NIT.