Returning players in the big 10... can these numbers be right for us?

This was posted over at umhoops.com, some guy put together the numbers on returning players for the league.

How are we only returning 36% of our field goals made when we’re returning 75 percent of our minutes? Just saying that out loud makes no sense, but I went ahead and did a little math of my own… Just a quick use of kenpom’s numbers make it look to me like we’re returning something around 78% of our field goals scored last year.

Am I missing something obvious here or is he?

75.2% of points returning, is my official number.

72.3% of minutes returning.

72.7% of assists returning.

77% of rebounds returning.

Wonder what he did wrong…

Here’s the correct numbers:

Makes ya wonder about the validity of the data for the other teams.

was thinking the same thing.

funny thing is that his story was cited in a blog on espn.com… looks like they didn’t do much research on it either.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:3, topic:1269”]Here’s the correct numbers:

[/quote]

The correct numbers also remove all of the red flagged boxes from our line (assuming the rest of the data is accurate which is a pretty big if).

Correct me if Im wrong, but we only lost Babb and Edwards. Hard to believe they contributed that significantly to those stats.

I would tend to think that they may be the numbers lost from 08-09 to 09-10. can someone check that/

And Ott

[quote="Skeeza, post:7, topic:1269"]Correct me if Im wrong, but we only lost Babb and Edwards.[/quote] And Ott

and Highberger.

Could those numbers be from when Talor had “declared” for the draft?

That’s what I was thinking.

[quote="laoDan, post:10, topic:1269"]Could those numbers be from when Talor had "declared" for the draft?[/quote]

That’s what I was thinking.

I actually checked that, but no it still wouldn’t make our numbers that low.

Lar commented over on the guys blog telling him they were incorrect, he said he just messed up something in his spreadsheet and fixed it already. Although his numbers still didn’t line up correctly with lars as of last night.

Maybe he was using just big 10 numbers, now that I think about it.

Could be. In many people’s mind the league season is “by far” the most important part of the season…THAT IS except the ESPN selection committee. They see the exhibition schedule as “most” important. Or maybe because they never learned their numbers…you know…1, 2, 3, 5, 4

[quote="Craftsy21, post:13, topic:1269"]Maybe he was using just big 10 numbers, now that I think about it.[/quote]

Could be. In many people’s mind the league season is “by far” the most important part of the season…THAT IS except the ESPN selection committee. They see the exhibition schedule as “most” important. Or maybe because they never learned their numbers…you know…1, 2, 3, 5, 4

…don’t forget the blackness of Tubby Smith

[quote="Craftsy21, post:13, topic:1269"]Maybe he was using just big 10 numbers, now that I think about it.[/quote]

“come” on now…“you” know “they” aren’t like “that”

:smiley: :wink:

Lone Gunmen UNIT!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lone_Gunmen