PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Retention of assistant coaches

Time for the new head coach to build a staff.

Whatever the new coach decides to do. Charlie Weiss said his biggest mistake at ND was not understanding the chemistry he needed on his coaching staff. If Bill decides it’s best to make a clean sweep, then I’m all for it. If he decides he can make a go of it with some current assistants on his staff, then great. But it’s important that he trusts all of his assistants and that they all work well with each other.

I voted “none of the above” because I feel the exact same way. If he meets with the assistants and thinks that several of them would be a great fit for his style, then keep as many as he feels comfortable keeping. If he thinks that he’d be more successful than others, than I trust him to do what he thinks will make them most successful.

What has kept people involved-- no invested– with PSU all these years is the sense of family. I think the administration and new coach would be wise to have O’Brien keep at least 1 or 2 of the current staff. (From a purely tactical perspective, one would be crazy to get rid of LJ and his recruiting prowess).

I know I would pay money to see Bradley’s boys take on next year’s schedule. I know and trust Tom Bradley (well, to the extent that anyone can “know” a stranger, anyway). I’ve spent years watching him, his work, and his pupils, and I trust him.

Bill O’Brien? Not so much. (That’s just the facts, not an indictment of him as a potential coach.) I have to imagine that a lot of people feel the same way. I think keeping some of the staff would be a good way to preserve some of that family feeling, and O’Brien would be wise to do so.

Without that, I think financial contributions to the NLC and university could suffer more than they have already. I really do.

I hope guys keep their jobs but it is critical that O’Brien pick who he wants and that he doesn’t have to take any direction on it.

For most of their tenure at PSU, LJ and Vandy have had outstanding DL’s and LB’s. Also, Bradley’s defenses have been excellent. Those guys have also been outstanding recruiters. Guys come to PSU to play DL or LB for LJ, Vandy and Brad. Unless you feel no chemistry with them, I’d tend to keep them all.

Having said that, Bradley might be a casualty of the Sandusky situation. Fortunately, LJ and Vandy came on the scene after Sandusky left.

I would doubt O’Brien took the job with any requirement to keep any or all assistants. Having said that, if he meets with LJ and Vandy, and feels comfortable with them, and they with him (they have to want to stay too, btw) then it would appear to be a good outcome – some stability.

Since O’Brien has deemed the NFL playoffs more important than ensuring he has a freshman class in the fall (and the fact PSU was OK with this is insane) he needs to have his assistants in place basically by next Thursday

I think and hope that LJ and RVan are kept on board. In addition to them being great coaches it would be great to have at least a couple of coaches watching things as OB coaches with the Pats as they work through the playoffs. I think we have done enough cleaning house. I hope that coach O’Brien has the latitute to do what he wants on assistants. I assume he does.

This prevailing idea that O’Brien has deemed the playoffs are more important than Penn State is absolutely ridiculous.

O’Brien is an unknown quantity to many. He has the opportunity the next few weeks to demonstrate his prowess as an offensive play caller to all the senior and junior recruits on national tv. Every time New England plays the cameras are going to be on him, and the announcers are going to talk about how he’s headed to Penn State.

This could be his best recruiting tool.

I can’t stand when people don’t think outside the box at all. There are a legion of morons on the BWI board blasting this guy because he cares more about his New England job. Maybe he thinks this gives him the best opportunity to steal a few decent players.

The next 3 weeks aren’t going to make or break his career at Penn State.

I think O’Brien coaching the PATS the rest of the year will be GREAT for recruiting. He will get mucho on camera time as “new PSU HC.” The Pats are very much a love or hate type team BUT most everybody respects what they do on offense. Heck, they got AFC top seed without a defense.
His staff will recruit in person…he can recruit by electronic gadgets!
I like the new hire. It will give PSU a “pro image.” “I can put you in the NFL” is a very good recruiting line!!

[quote="Tom, post:8, topic:2960"]Since O'Brien has deemed the NFL playoffs more important than ensuring he has a freshman class in the fall (and the fact PSU was OK with this is insane) he needs to have his assistants in place basically by next Thursday[/quote]

This prevailing idea that O’Brien has deemed the playoffs are more important than Penn State is absolutely ridiculous.

O’Brien is an unknown quantity to many. He has the opportunity the next few weeks to demonstrate his prowess as an offensive play caller to all the senior and junior recruits on national tv. Every time New England plays the cameras are going to be on him, and the announcers are going to talk about how he’s headed to Penn State.

Well, “legions of morons” probably is listed as a definition of sports fan.

I agree with you on this: If the Patriots make a run, it will be a great advertisement for O’Brien. The Pats’ defense means they will have to light up the scoreboard to do so, and the cameras will now train often on O’Brien. You couldn’t ask for a better situation for a relative unknown to take over.

Sounds like LJ is staying.

[quote="Tom, post:8, topic:2960"]Since O'Brien has deemed the NFL playoffs more important than ensuring he has a freshman class in the fall (and the fact PSU was OK with this is insane) he needs to have his assistants in place basically by next Thursday[/quote]

I agree with you on this: If the Patriots make a run, it will be a great advertisement for O’Brien. The Pats’ defense means they will have to light up the scoreboard to do so, and the cameras will now train often on O’Brien. You couldn’t ask for a better situation for a relative unknown to take over.

Going back to what Tom said, he is dead on. Perhaps people don’t like how it sounds, but it’s true.

TV time with the Pats is fine, but when it comes to recruiting, NOTHING is better than personal contact with each and every recruit you can. One fo the biggest knocks of Peterno is that he didn’t travel anymore and we were missing that.

What Tom said is that while O’Brien is working with the Pats, you HAVE TO have your assistants doing the recruiting for you, whicdh means you HAVE TO have your assistants in place as soon as you can.

How is that wrong? Face time on TV is one thing, but being on the phone and appearing in the recruit’s living rooom in person selling your program and your school to a potential recruit is absolutely vital and irreplaceable.

I thought O’Brien said it perfectly. How can he talk to the current team about commitment and loyalty, and then turn around and bail on NE at the most important time of the year. He made a commitment to them, and he’s keeping it. When he interviewed with PSU, I’m sure he made his intentions clear, and PSU was on board with it. I bet that the search committee thought him wanting to stay in NE through the end of the year was a positive, since it showed his ethics, rather than the negative that most of our fanbase see it as.

Going back to what Tom said, he is dead on. Perhaps people don’t like how it sounds, but it’s true.

TV time with the Pats is fine, but when it comes to recruiting, NOTHING is better than personal contact with each and every recruit you can. One fo the biggest knocks of Peterno is that he didn’t travel anymore and we were missing that.

What Tom said is that while O’Brien is working with the Pats, you HAVE TO have your assistants doing the recruiting for you, whicdh means you HAVE TO have your assistants in place as soon as you can.

How is that wrong? Face time on TV is one thing, but being on the phone and appearing in the recruit’s living rooom in person selling your program and your school to a potential recruit is absolutely vital and irreplaceable.

You don’t think that’s a double standard? IF a Penn State asst. coach took another job as head coach somewhere else, it was announced after the regular season, and before our bowl game - wouldn’t you guys be saying “he’s not loyal”, “the sign of a bad character/leader who bails on his team”. etc etc.

Yeah it stinks that he won’t be able to sit in a recruits living room until the Pat’s are out of the playoffs or SB champs, but it is what it is. None of this is ideal like we all would’ve hoped for - but who knows? Maybe we ARE going to love the guy in 2/3 years. Have a little faith and objective perspective.

humbly submitted.

You don’t think that’s a double standard? IF a Penn State asst. coach took another job as head coach somewhere else, it was announced after the regular season, and before our bowl game - wouldn’t you guys be saying “he’s not loyal”, “the sign of a bad character/leader who bails on his team”. etc etc.

Yeah it stinks that he won’t be able to sit in a recruits living room until the Pat’s are out of the playoffs or SB champs, but it is what it is. None of this is ideal like we all would’ve hoped for - but who knows? Maybe we ARE going to love the guy in 2/3 years. Have a little faith and objective perspective.

humbly submitted.

I agree with you, Mikey. I am sure that Robert Kraft and/or Bill Belichick also had a say in whether or not O’Brien would be sticking around for the playoffs.

Can everybody just get the hell over this!! When I have switched jobs in my career, I have always considered it an essential part of my character to leave my old job professionally. That always meant asking my new employer to wait a bit while I wrapped up an important project and helped the employer I was leaving make a smooth transition as necessary. None of the new employers ever complained about this, as it was understood as being the right way to do things.

In an age where coaches text their former players on the plane out of town, I am glad we are not hiring a snake oil salesman who would leave his old employer in the lurch. Yes, this year’s recruiting class will probably suffer, but he has five years to right the ship.

Outgoing coach Tom Bradley’s full statement: “Penn State will always have my support”

Since O'Brien has deemed the NFL playoffs more important than ensuring he has a freshman class in the fall (and the fact PSU was OK with this is insane) he needs to have his assistants in place basically by next Thursday

Can everybody just get the hell over this!! When I have switched jobs in my career, I have always considered it an essential part of my character to leave my old job professionally. That always meant asking my new employer to wait a bit while I wrapped up an important project and helped the employer I was leaving make a smooth transition as necessary. None of the new employers ever complained about this, as it was understood as being the right way to do things.

In an age where coaches text their former players on the plane out of town, I am glad we are not hiring a snake oil salesman who would leave his old employer in the lurch. Yes, this year’s recruiting class will probably suffer, but he has five years to right the ship.

Exactly. Can you imagine the Nittany Nation if Fran Ganter had left for a head coaching job a couple days before we played Miami in the 1986 MNC game. (Of course, there were no message boards then, about which I’m starting to grow nostalgic, given the hysterical nonsense I’ve read since November.)