PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Reports that Gary Williams will retire

There are reports in DC and Baltimore today that Gary Williams is retiring as coach at Maryland. I’m not sure anyone around these parts saw that coming. I would guess this would certainly impact Taran ending up at UMD though.

That makes for a change at Maryland of both the football and basketball coaches. Each were relatively successful for a good stretch.

Beat you to it :wink:

http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?topic=2116.255

Press conference at 1pm tomorrow.

HEAD COACH GARY WILLIAMS ANNOUNCES HIS RETIREMENT Press conference scheduled for Friday, May 6 at 1 p.m. in Comcast Center

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – After a legendary head coaching career spanning 33 years, including 22 years at the University of Maryland, his alma mater, Gary Williams has announced his retirement as head men’s basketball coach.

Williams will join Maryland Athletic Director Kevin Anderson and University President Dr. Wallace D. Loh at a press conference on Friday, May 6 at 1 p.m. in Comcast Center. The public is encouraged to attend. The press conference will also be streamed live on TerpsTV at umterps.com.

“It’s the right time,” Williams said. “My entire career has been an unbelievable blessing. I am fiercely proud of the program we have built here. I couldn’t have asked any more from my players, my assistant coaches, the great Maryland fans and this great university. Together, we did something very special here.”

A member of the University of Maryland Alumni Hall of Fame, University of Maryland Sports Hall of Fame, Greater Washington Sports Hall of Champions, and the Baltimore Sports Legends Museum Hall of Legends, Williams is the 5th winningest active coach in the country, and 3rd in the Atlantic Coast Conference behind only Dean Smith and Mike Krzyzewski. In his 33 years as a head coach, he amassed an overall record of 668-380 (.637) and 461-252 (.646) at Maryland.

His career is nothing short of extraordinary: Fourteen NCAA tournament appearances, three ACC regular season titles, ACC tournament championships, seven Sweet Sixteens, two Elite Eights, two Final Fours and National Championship in 2002. Williams was the National Coach of the Year in 2002, and the ACC Coach of the Year in 2002 and 2010.

“Gary Williams is a legend,” Anderson said. “His accomplishments on the court have earned him a place among the elite in college basketball history. But Gary’s legacy here at Maryland goes far beyond basketball. From his philanthropic efforts to his tireless work with fans and alumni to his impact with our students, Gary has left an indelible mark of excellence on this university.”

Since 2004, Williams has served as the scholarship co-chair for Great Expectations, Maryland’s $1 billion fundraising campaign. His efforts on behalf of Maryland students have helped raise over $240 million for scholarships at the University of Maryland.

Williams will stay on with Maryland as Assistant Athletic Director and Special Assistant to Kevin Anderson, where he will continue to serve as scholarship campaign co-chair, work with the Terrapin Club to fundraise for athletics, and serve as an ambassador for the University.

“I am delighted that Coach Williams will remain a part of the Maryland community,” said Loh. “His work on behalf of the Great Expectations campaign has provided support for thousands of Maryland students. He embodies the spirit of Terrapins everywhere.”

If you do not wish to receive future emails from Maryland Athletics, please click here or send an email to: unsubscribe-88@pacmail.em.marketinghq.net

Looks like new Maryland AD Kevin Anderson engineered turnover in both Terp football and MBB coaches.

I wonder if Williams assistant Keith Booth would be interested in replacing Lew Preston?

Wonder if that nixes a spot for Buie.

Just heard Faust decommited.

That sucks for college basketball. He was one of the few who simply refused to cheat but had the resume to be able to stand firm. Kind of like a big Wall Street bank watching its competitors cleaning up through phony securities, but refusing to go along “just because it is wrong.” Doesn’t happen enough and keeps it hard for everyone else.

I don’t know how many of you follow Taran Buie, but he let’s me follow him. He says he headed to DC tomorrow.

Coolin man outta here soon DC tmro
[url=http://twitter.com/#]http://twitter.com/#[/url]!/MoneyBags_YNC/status/66241473846325249

Williams sure made “a lot” of money. BUT Lefty Driesell laid the groundwork at Maryland.

[quote=“lynkpsu, post:8, topic:2367”]I don’t know how many of you follow Taran Buie, but he let’s me follow him. He says he headed to DC tomorrow.

http://twitter.com/#!/MoneyBags_YNC/status/66241473846325249[/quote]

According to his tweets, Talor’s been hanging out a lot in DC, so this isn’t surprising.

[quote=“lynkpsu, post:8, topic:2367”]I don’t know how many of you follow Taran Buie, but he let’s me follow him. He says he headed to DC tomorrow.

http://twitter.com/#!/MoneyBags_YNC/status/66241473846325249[/quote]

Hmm well Paul Hewitt just took over George Mason, plausable place for him to land.

That’s putting it mildly regarding Williams.

Strong rumbles in DC that the Terps are going to pursue Jay Wright hard.

He’d be great there but it is lateral. His next move should be to one of the biggies: NC, Duke, Indiana, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA. And of course I strongly suspect this is forum talk.

I have a feeling a lot of folks here have no memory of Gary at BC or OSU.

Talor lives and trains in DC ;D

The rivals board is buzzing with comments about MD pursuing Sean Miller really hard. Some MD fans think the five coaches they are targeting are Brad Stevens, Jamie Dixon, Mike Brey, Sean Miller, and Jay Wright.

I think many fail to realize how good of a job MD is (I don’t view it as a lateral move for Wright at all, other than the fact he is a Philly-area guy, and very well might view Nova as his dream job). The DC/Baltimore area might just be home to the best talent base in the country. Williams didn’t recruit that area well, but if somebody could…look out! While MD has been “down” since winning the NC, it is still a great program that has had success in recent years. They also have Under Armour money, great facilities (Nova’s are awful), and a wild fan base.

Good set of coaches and I think it would be good for any of them. It would be really interesting if Dison takes the job and who Pitt would replace him with.

Agree. Howland and Dixon sure made it work at ~itt…not sure it would be so easy for a new guy. If Gibbs does go pro…~itt will not be a power next year. Maybe the next several years!! Looking at it from that angle, it would be a good time for Dixon to move on!

[quote=“NICU, post:16, topic:2367”]The rivals board is buzzing with comments about MD pursuing Sean Miller really hard. Some MD fans think the five coaches they are targeting are Brad Stevens, Jamie Dixon, Mike Brey, Sean Miller, and Jay Wright.

I think many fail to realize how good of a job MD is (I don’t view it as a lateral move for Wright at all, other than the fact he is a Philly-area guy, and very well might view Nova as his dream job). The DC/Baltimore area might just be home to the best talent base in the country. Williams didn’t recruit that area well, but if somebody could…look out! While MD has been “down” since winning the NC, it is still a great program that has had success in recent years. They also have Under Armour money, great facilities (Nova’s are awful), and a wild fan base.[/quote]

I agree. It’s an ACC program. They recently won it all. They sit between Baltimore and DC – near some of the best HS talent in the country. They have strong academic programs, great facilities, nice campus, hot women, etc. I think they could lure any of those coaches for the right price.

Crappy football program with no fans though :slight_smile: