PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Report: Lewis Preston to Kennesaw State

Per Dave Jones.
http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/04/lewis_preston_to_leave_psu_for.html

What’s Cal Booth up to these days? :slight_smile:

Hate to lose Lewis, but if it’s to get a HC job, good for him.

Here’s an interesting quote from the story:

“The league has been dominated recently by two schools – Belmont and East Tennessee State – one of which has represented it in the last six NCAA tournaments.”

Hmmm - what no name, no load coach started ETSU to prominence in the league?

[quote=“Great Santini, post:3, topic:2335”]Here’s an interesting quote from the story:
"The league has been dominated recently by two schools – Belmont and East Tennessee State – one of which has represented it in the last six NCAA tournaments."
Hmmm - what no name, no load coach started ETSU to prominence in the league?[/quote]
I think ETSU was in the Southern Conference when Ed was the HC.

Best of luck to Coach Preston. I enjoyed reading his tweets on the team, and know he really cares about his players and the game.

Good luck to him. I think PSU will miss him. He seemed like a good recruiter!

A little interesting that he’s leaving. This would be the time to do it though, Drew was his project, now that all of his big men are gone for the most part he gets a chance to bolt. Interesting to see who we pick up, a lot of next year will have to do with our bigs getting better. In the back of my head Preston was a possible in house hire if Ed goes. He even got a technical which is pretty much unheard of around these parts.

Hey they can hire Talor now and turn him lose as a recruiter…let him learn coaching as he goes along. What the heck. (I guess he will have to graduate first) :slight_smile:

I don’t mean to “be that guy” but it’s Talor not Taylor.

Interesting that he’s leaving? ???

He’s doubling his salary and gets a D1 head coaching job. It’s a no-brainer move.

Plus, if DeChellis were fired, no one on the current staff would get the job. ???

[quote="NGameday, post:7, topic:2335"]A little interesting that he's leaving. This would be the time to do it though, Drew was his project, now that all of his big men are gone for the most part he gets a chance to bolt. Interesting to see who we pick up, a lot of next year will have to do with our bigs getting better. In the back of my head Preston was a possible in house hire if Ed goes. He even got a technical which is pretty much unheard of around these parts.[/quote]

He’s doubling his salary and gets a D1 head coaching job. It’s a no-brainer move.

Plus, if DeChellis were fired, no one on the current staff would get the job. ???

I’m just saying when I woke up this morning I didn’t assume Preston would be leaving today. There are plenty of things that make sense, that doesn’t mean they’ll happen.

Can’t argue with the timing. Coming off the tournament bid, his stock is peaking.

Looks like an uphill struggle though. Kenn St in it’s 2nd year of D-I ball? Yikes.

Good luck to him.

[quote="NGameday, post:7, topic:2335"]A little interesting that he's leaving. This would be the time to do it though, Drew was his project, now that all of his big men are gone for the most part he gets a chance to bolt. Interesting to see who we pick up, a lot of next year will have to do with our bigs getting better. In the back of my head Preston was a possible in house hire if Ed goes. He even got a technical which is pretty much unheard of around these parts.[/quote]

It is a no brainer, but did he really develop Drew into an effective big man? Today, most big men seem to like to play facing the basket, and it seems most coaches want that as well, and I suppose he developed those games for the front line somewhat. Just be good to see Pete Newell big man development, in the real sense. Sort of like new-Keynesianism, this “new big men” play. Kind of an oxymoron, developing a big man into a perimeter player facing the basket. I’m with Jerry West on this, not a good development. Wish him well, but if he doesn’t develop inside play, I don’t see him lasting. Points in the paint over your opponent is what wins games.

It is a no brainer, but did he really develop Drew into an effective big man? Today, most big men seem to like to play facing the basket, and it seems most coaches want that as well, and I suppose he developed those games for the front line somewhat. Just be good to see Pete Newell big man development, in the real sense. Sort of like new-Keynesianism, this “new big men” play. Kind of an oxymoron, developing a big man into a perimeter player facing the basket. I’m with Jerry West on this, not a good development. Wish him well, but if he doesn’t develop inside play, I don’t see him lasting. Points in the paint over your opponent is what wins games.

Has anyone seen a wet blanket emoticon? I see an immediate use for one.

EVERY PROFESSIONAL COACH at any level should be qualified to coach “big man” moves. It’s NOT brain surgery!! It’s basic basketball moves (footwork, etc.) Unfortunately this does not project that every D1 big man being a quality player.

I think Ed and his staff deserve a big time “that-a-boy” for the development of Andrew Jones from a project recruit to player deep into schools record books!! Andrew was a 4 year contributor. Not that common at this level. I see lots of BigTen big guys who could use some serious coaching-up!!

Also, Andrew deserves a BIG LEAGUE “THANK YOU” for his career performance.

P.S. Sorry for rant!

Who can dey bring in being so cheap?

Did you really just compare developing big men to Keynesian economics?

Dear God,
Please send us another NYS High School player so kid can develop another 4 year plus man-crush. His posts since Talor’s last game have become more and more “out there”. We need some divine intervention.

Amen.
:wink:

Did you really just compare developing big men to Keynesian economics?

Dear God,
Please send us another NYS High School player so kid can develop another 4 year plus man-crush. His posts since Talor’s last game have become more and more “out there”. We need some divine intervention.

Amen.
:wink:

Should have put a wink, but big man play has become perimeter play. To me, that’s not big man play. If a coach wants to develop a face the basket perimeter game, why use a big man coach? Use a perimeter coach. I find it funny that most will respond and say, “I usually don’t agree with kid…but”. Well, if more than half my post have been on Talor, his ability and his good chances of making the pros, that means they don’t agree with that, since that’s a majority of my posts, and usually means a majority. Of course, when he does, they’ll change their tune. So, do you usually not agree with me? :wink:

EVERY PROFESSIONAL COACH at any level should be qualified to coach "big man" moves. It's NOT brain surgery!! It's [b]basic basketball moves [/b] (footwork, etc.) Unfortunately this does not project that every D1 big man being a quality player.

I think Ed and his staff deserve a big time “that-a-boy” for the development of Andrew Jones from a project recruit to player deep into schools record books!! Andrew was a 4 year contributor. Not that common at this level. I see lots of BigTen big guys who could use some serious coaching-up!!

Also, Andrew deserves a BIG LEAGUE “THANK YOU” for his career performance.

P.S. Sorry for rant!

If true, why hire a big man coach? I agree entirely that all should be able to do it. I just don’t recall seeing it. Brooks had the best big man moves, but was more comfortable facing the basket. This is the new trend, but it begs the question of why there is a big man coach. I think you’re making quite the assumption that they tried to teach inside play but that the talent wasn’t there. Few coaches teach it, preferring facing the basket play. So, does a team hire a big man coach to teach 15 foot jumpers and footwork at the arc?

Strike this guy off the potential candidate list (and congrats to him)

http://www.wvmetronews.com/sports.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=44844

Actually, I agree with a lot of your posts. I just found this particular post to be deserving of a little jab.