PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Reminder: THON Sunday

Just a reminder that it’s THON weekend. I just got back from trying to get in but they locked the doors even earlier this year (about 8:15 this morning). Bummer. :frowning:

However, you can watch and/pr donate online.

Check out their website - www.THON.org

They’re live-streaming it on Ustream. I was watching on my computer, but then realized if I downloaded the Ustream app on my iPhone, I could stream to my AppleTV and have it on the big screen. Surprisingly good picture. Good background as I’m doing some work around the house.

27 years since I danced For The Kids. One of the highlights of my life.

We are…and will always be, Penn State.

What an unbelievable weekend. I moraled for the Hope Express this year, and THON raises over $10 million for the first time. Dancing in 2010 is still the highlight of my life. Nothing has even come close to it.

Great job everyone.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:3094”]27 years since I danced For The Kids. One of the highlights of my life.

We are…and will always be, Penn State.[/quote]

Wow, that would be mid-80’s sometime?? Where was it held? When I was a student 88-92 it was still in the White building. (hard to imagine looking at it now).

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:3094”]27 years since I danced For The Kids. One of the highlights of my life.

WOW !!! Did they have recorded music back then, or did they just bang to rocks together rhythmically? ;D :wink:

27 years since I danced For The Kids. One of the highlights of my life.

We are…and will always be, Penn State.

WOW !!! Did they have recorded music back then, or did they just bang to rocks together rhythmically? ;D :wink:

I think it was 1986 when I bought my first CD. I can’t believe it was that long ago. Wow.

I have a question about Thon. Within the last year or so we had a lengthy discussion about “ownership”, etc. of the BJC. I’m sure using the BJC for a weekend would get pretty expensive – electric bill, water bill, etc. Does Thon pay rent for the weekend? Or does Penn State pick up the tab for it?

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:3094"]27 years since I danced For The Kids. One of the highlights of my life.

I think it was 1986 when I bought my first CD. I can’t believe it was that long ago. Wow.

I have a question about Thon. Within the last year or so we had a lengthy discussion about “ownership”, etc. of the BJC. I’m sure using the BJC for a weekend would get pretty expensive – electric bill, water bill, etc. Does Thon pay rent for the weekend? Or does Penn State pick up the tab for it?

Was looking at my wife’s Rolling Stone and the latest issue has a article titled “Is the CD Dead?” Whenever a band puts out a new CD, I still ask my friends if they have heard the latest album from so and so band. Guess I’m dating myself, huh. :wink:

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:3094"]27 years since I danced For The Kids. One of the highlights of my life.

THON pays the BJC for its use. It’s one of THON’s few expenses.

Yes, but the needle on the record player kept skipping.

What’s amazing to me is that back in 1985 we thought that raising close to a quarter-million ($226,000 to be nearly exact) was such a big deal. That 10 million mark they hit this past weekend is nothing short of extraordinary. Here’s a history of what THON has raised over the years:

http://www.thon.org/whatisthon/history/awesome

BTW, any reporters from the NY Times in town for this momentous occasion of Penn State helping and caring about the kids. Just asking. ::slight_smile:

Actually, I saw one at the Tavern :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, any reporters from the NY Times in town for this momentous occasion of Penn State helping and caring about the kids. Just asking. ::)
Actually, I saw one at the Tavern :P
Did you see the article of ESPN saying that this was the first THON without JoePa. I thought what the heck does THON have to do with Joe and football. They couldn't put an article up that they have raised umpteen million dollars for the Four Diamonds Fund could they.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:10, topic:3094"]BTW, any reporters from the NY Times in town for this momentous occasion of Penn State helping and caring about the kids. Just asking. ::)[/quote] Actually, I saw one at the Tavern :P
Did you see the article of ESPN saying that this was the first THON without JoePa. I thought what the heck does THON have to do with Joe and football. They couldn't put an article up that they have raised umpteen million dollars for the Four Diamonds Fund could they.

You mean this article…

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7588755/penn-state-nittany-lions-dance-marathon-goes-joe-paterno

Hey, at least they’re giving THON some publicity. Maybe through that article they’ll raise some $$$. The one good thing is that the headline with Joe’s name might draw some people to the cause who normally wouldn’t know anything about it. Without “Paterno”, people would pass it right on by.