PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Recruiting

6 foot 3 guard Marquel Curtis from JC Williston State commits to Tulsa

http://www.willistonherald.com/sports/marquel-curtis-chooses-to-play-for-tulsa/article_4b56a4f0-8933-11e2-9581-0019bb2963f4.html

Monty Boykins to Lafayette.

[quote=“PSUstjBALL1, post:4036, topic:27”]This is totally random, but there was a kid that we were heavily recruiting under DeChellis named Terry Turner, and I was wondering if anyone knew where he was at now?

He originally committed to Rider. Then he decommitted, and committed to the State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota (Juco?). I just checked their roster, and he is not on that team. So, I was curious if anyone knew what he was up to.[/quote]

Heavily recruiting is a stretch, in regards to Turner and PSU. They looked, he didn’t pass the test, and they moved on. My understanding is an eye injury really set back his game. Last I heard, high-level PSAC’s had been on him by the end of his senior year. No idea what happened to him after the juco stint.

I remember Penn State wanting him badly under DeChellis. He was one of the more common names thrown around on here. There were even some articles written about it. It seemed to me that the interest ended when DeChellis left and Chambers became the coach.

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Article/Turner-liking-the-Lions-19339

Link states that he held an offer from PSU.

I was able to find something on Terry Turner by doing a simple google search.

The article says he did verbally commit to Rider but signed with the State College of Florida.
http://www.scfmanatees.com/sports/mbkb/2012-13/releases/terryturnersigns

One thing that you have to be careful doing is equating fans wanting a player with the team wanting a player. Just because some fans want a kid to come here, doesn’t mean that the coaches share the same feeling.

We’ve been publishing the UncleLar Recruiting Matrix for three regimes now - Dunn, DeChellis, and Chambers. I can tell you that several coaches on each of the staffs have told me that they occasionally check out the matrix – for laughs. They get a big kick out of seeing who claims to have an offer from us.

I have no idea what either the DeChellis or Chambers regime really thought of Turner. I do know a lot of fans in the northeast liked him but I wouldn’t be willing to say that translated into an offer from us.

Every few months I have to remind people that the only thing that the matrix purports to do is reflect what has been published about PSU’s hoops recruiting. I make zero claims about it accurately reflecting what’s going on (in fact if I had to put odds on it, I’d say it’s probably only about 30% right).

[quote="PSUstjBALL1, post:4040, topic:27"]I remember Penn State wanting him badly under DeChellis. He was one of the more common names thrown around on here. There were even some articles written about it. It seemed to me that the interest ended when DeChellis left and Chambers became the coach.

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Article/Turner-liking-the-Lions-19339

Link states that he held an offer from PSU.[/quote]

One thing that you have to be careful doing is equating fans wanting a player with the team wanting a player. Just because some fans want a kid to come here, doesn’t mean that the coaches share the same feeling.

We’ve been publishing the UncleLar Recruiting Matrix for three regimes now - Dunn, DeChellis, and Chambers. I can tell you that several coaches on each of the staffs have told me that they occasionally check out the matrix – for laughs. They get a big kick out of seeing who claims to have an offer from us.

I have no idea what either the DeChellis or Chambers regime really thought of Turner. I do know a lot of fans in the northeast liked him but I wouldn’t be willing to say that translated into an offer from us.

Every few months I have to remind people that the only thing that the matrix purports to do is reflect what has been published about PSU’s hoops recruiting. I make zero claims about it accurately reflecting what’s going on (in fact if I had to put odds on it, I’d say it’s probably only about 30% right).

OK. Really my only point in all this was that I remembered Penn State interest, and that claimed offers from VCU, Temple, St. Joes, and Penn State. He then committed to Rider. Then, he decommitted and committed to the State College of Florida, and he is no longer there either. So, I was just wondering if anyone knew what he was up to now? Curiosity

I was able to find something on Terry Turner by doing a simple google search.

The article says he did verbally commit to Rider but signed with the State College of Florida.
http://www.scfmanatees.com/sports/mbkb/2012-13/releases/terryturnersigns

I mentioned in my first post that he signed with them, but is not on their roster, and never played a game for them.

Micah Mason, played HS at Highlands, and spent last season at Drake, is looking to transfer to a college closer to home. Mason, iirc, was one of the top 3 pt shooters in college basketball this past season.

Another Philly kid, F Jaylen Bond is leaving TX.

Gonna be an interesting few months around here…

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:4045, topic:27”]Another Philly kid, F Jaylen Bond is leaving TX.

Gonna be an interesting few months around here…[/quote]

Situation’s sounds a little like Newbill’s was. Signed an NLI to Pitt, then was told he didn’t have a scholarship. Pitt wanted to stash him at a prep school for a year. Texas had a scholarship open and made an offer. Now looking to transfer.

Another Philly kid, F Jaylen Bond is leaving TX.

Gonna be an interesting few months around here…

Situation’s sounds a little like Newbill’s was. Signed an NLI to Pitt, then was told he didn’t have a scholarship. Pitt wanted to stash him at a prep school for a year. Texas had a scholarship open and made an offer. Now looking to transfer.

Not the way I heard it. I heard he decommitted on ~itt. ~itters I know were pretty ticked about it! They thought he was going to a huge star!
[quote="BleedPSU, post:4045, topic:27"]Another Philly kid, F Jaylen Bond is leaving TX.

Not the way I heard it. I heard he decommitted on ~itt. ~itters I know were pretty ticked about it! They thought he was going to a huge star!

He signed his NLI. The Pitt website had him on it. He couldn’t just decommit without Pitt releasing him. If it was his choice, they wouldn’t have released him.

[quote="BleedPSU, post:4045, topic:27"]Another Philly kid, F Jaylen Bond is leaving TX.

He signed his NLI. The Pitt website had him on it. He couldn’t just decommit without Pitt releasing him. If it was his choice, they wouldn’t have released him.

Your story may make sense, John. I think ~itt was 2 ships over the limit at that time.

Who will Chambers have a Carefrontation with to add another transfer?

Can poorly performing assistant coaches face the caring Carefrontations? Would it go something like this, “We love you but this isnt working, you’re fired!”?

Drew Cook and Beaver Falls advance to the PIAA title game in Hershey!

[size=12pt]Isn’t Penn State facing the same situation, we have one TOO MANY players scheduled to be on next year’s roster.[/size]

Bankshot is not sure of the numbers but what do you think “Carefrontations” are for? In my opinion, it’s an insincere way of stating we dont require your services anymore.

I’m guessing the overage was accounted for long ago, just us fans aren’t yet privy to the details.

[quote="pap17754, post:4052, topic:27"][size=12pt]Isn't Penn State facing the same situation, we have one TOO MANY players scheduled to be on next year's roster.[/size][/quote]

I’m guessing the overage was accounted for long ago, just us fans aren’t yet privy to the details.

Our season is over, yet we STILL are not privy. Something is fishy here. :-[

Gavin Schilling, a 6-foot-9, 235-pound center from Findlay Prep in Nevada via Wilmette, Ill commits to Michigan State

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story/_/id/9075515/gavin-schilling-commits-michigan-state-spartans