Recruiting Visit/Student Ticket Update

Two things, unrelated, but both important–

1. Student Season Ticket sales are up to a little over 900 tickets. The sideline student section hold about 800. So we’re already at overflow.

2. Ohio State Football weekend is going to be a big time visit on the basketball recruiting level. Maybe the biggest we’ve had. I dont know who but I can tell you with very strong knowledge that we have a top 40 recruit as well as a few others who would be coming here the year after Buie does. Got this info from somebody who works for the program so I’m positive on it’s accuracy.

[quote=“NGameday, post:1, topic:122”]Two things, unrelated, but both important–

1. Student Season Ticket sales are up to a little over 900 tickets. The sideline student section hold about 800. So we’re already at overflow.

2. Ohio State Football weekend is going to be a big time visit on the basketball recruiting level. Maybe the biggest we’ve had. I dont know who but I can tell you with very strong knowledge that we have a top 40 recruit as well as a few others who would be coming here the year after Buie does. Got this info from somebody who works for the program so I’m positive on it’s accuracy.[/quote]

They had a few guys that were supposed to come in this past weekend but were told to stay home because of the weather. Hopefully, their visits will be for the Ohio State weekend and the whole atmosphere will get them pumped up for PSU.

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:122"]Two things, unrelated, but both important--

2. Ohio State Football weekend is going to be a big time visit on the basketball recruiting level. Maybe the biggest we’ve had. I dont know who but I can tell you with very strong knowledge that we have a top 40 recruit as well as a few others who would be coming here the year after Buie does. Got this info from somebody who works for the program so I’m positive on it’s accuracy.[/quote]

They had a few guys that were supposed to come in this past weekend but were told to stay home because of the weather. Hopefully, their visits will be for the Ohio State weekend and the whole atmosphere will get them pumped up for PSU.

We’re going to try and push for a good exibition game crowd. It could be tough to do…but it helps it’s the first game of any kind.

I intend on making “revenge” signs for that game

According to FightOnState’s recruit photos, this guy was there Saturday:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/4vSuyZuLsUW2dxr1a4uZ_g/basketball-winter-08-09/profile-randy-mallinger.htm

[quote=“Tom, post:4, topic:122”]According to FightOnState’s recruit photos, this guy was there Saturday:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/4vSuyZuLsUW2dxr1a4uZ_g/basketball-winter-08-09/profile-randy-mallinger.htm[/quote]

Thats cool, why do we keep bringing in those guys from that class when we dont have any scholarships left?

[quote="Tom, post:4, topic:122"]According to FightOnState's recruit photos, this guy was there Saturday:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/4vSuyZuLsUW2dxr1a4uZ_g/basketball-winter-08-09/profile-randy-mallinger.htm[/quote]

Thats cool, why do we keep bringing in those guys from that class when we dont have any scholarships left?

He’s a junior. We have ships for that class.

[quote="Tom, post:4, topic:122"]According to FightOnState's recruit photos, this guy was there Saturday:

He’s a junior. We have ships for that class.

Oh yeah my bad, got the graduation date wrong. My best guess for the visitor would be Myles Davis

The top 40 kid is Desmond Hubert who we already knew was visiting for the Ohio State game.

Here is the link. http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/09/27/desmond-hubert-recruiting-update/

If I had to guess, they had to be talking about Desmond Hubert. We already knew he was coming for the OSU game. Glad to hear there will be multiple prospects though. Those 5 scholarships in '11 are really going to determine whether we keep our program momentum rolling or not.

Jinx ;D

[quote=“byake, post:8, topic:122”]The top 40 kid is Desmond Hubert who we already knew was visiting for the Ohio State game.

Here is the link. http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/09/27/desmond-hubert-recruiting-update/[/quote]

Thanks guys, the person I was talking to wasn’t at the liberty to say who it was. I think they try and keep things on the dl in regards to details so I’m not suprised it was already known.

[quote=“Tom, post:4, topic:122”]According to FightOnState’s recruit photos, this guy was there Saturday:

It was Randy Mallinger Fox Chapel 5-9 140. I could not find much hoop stuff but it’s looks like he is a good football player also (WR/DB/Place kicker.)

Desmond Hubert would be a HUGE get, which is why I’m not going to be wishing and hoping very much…

…Can’t pick a better weekend than the Ohio State game to have him come look around, though. :wink:

[quote=“Slash, post:13, topic:122”]Desmond Hubert would be a HUGE get, which is why I’m not going to be wishing and hoping very much…

…Can’t pick a better weekend than the Ohio State game to have him come look around, though. ;)[/quote]

Unlike some of the recent post prospects Desmond talks about us with genuine interest in the interviews I’ve seen, not as an also-ran. While it’s still gonna be a tough battle to land him I think we’ve got as good a shot as anyone.

[quote="Slash, post:13, topic:122"]Desmond Hubert would be a HUGE get, which is why I'm not going to be wishing and hoping very much...

…Can’t pick a better weekend than the Ohio State game to have him come look around, though. ;)[/quote]

Unlike some of the recent post prospects Desmond talks about us with genuine interest in the interviews I’ve, not as an also-ran. While it’s still gonna be a tough battle to land him I think we’ve got as good a shot as anyone.

I think it all depends what interests a kid like this has as far as choosing a school. We have a nice warm cozy family thing happening. If a kid likes that and takes his education seriously, we have a chance. If he wants to get “superstar treatment” (Max Talbot commercial for Penguin fans) then he will look elsewhere. And if he hopes to win a national championship, then we probably don’t have a prayer. We’ll see.

[quote="Slash, post:13, topic:122"]Desmond Hubert would be a HUGE get, which is why I'm not going to be wishing and hoping very much...

Unlike some of the recent post prospects Desmond talks about us with genuine interest in the interviews I’ve, not as an also-ran. While it’s still gonna be a tough battle to land him I think we’ve got as good a shot as anyone.

I think it all depends what interests a kid like this has as far as choosing a school. We have a nice warm cozy family thing happening. If a kid likes that and takes his education seriously, we have a chance. If he wants to get “superstar treatment” (Max Talbot commercial for Penguin fans) then he will look elsewhere. And if he hopes to win a national championship, then we probably don’t have a prayer. We’ll see.

I’m hoping that he wants to be the big guy in a growing program. And we have the fact that we’ll be playing top notch teams for most of the year. We might not have the Big East Press ClusterF** but we do play tough nationally known teams.

I’m hoping that he wants to be the big guy in a growing program. And we have the fact that we’ll be playing top notch teams for most of the year. We might not have the Big East Press ClusterF** but we do play tough nationally known teams.

And, thanks to our Conference’s nationally available network, we play a lot of nationally televised games.

I would also think that as much fun as it is to play for one of the huge programs that playing here on a rising program could possibly help him out in the long run. For example, as much as we love Talor there is a chance that he rides the bench at Duke for a year or two, doesn’t develop as far as he has at this point, and doesn’t get nearly as much good press.

Instead Talor plays here, becomes a top point guard in the country, plays overseas, wins the NIT and is respected across the conference and is gaining national attention. The whole NBA thing is still up in the air but if you give Talor a bigger body and keep the story the same he has a better chance at getting noticed at the NBA level at this point than he would have if he had been somewhere else.

We have to be a place where it is plausible to win. Not win it all – there are only a couple of places that can really lay complete claim to that. Just win more than you lose, get to the tourney, be big time.

We’re on the verge of that, but not there yet. This year is important as everyone knows.

[quote=“NGameday, post:18, topic:122”]I would also think that as much fun as it is to play for one of the huge programs that playing here on a rising program could possibly help him out in the long run. For example, as much as we love Talor there is a chance that he rides the bench at Duke for a year or two, doesn’t develop as far as he has at this point, and doesn’t get nearly as much good press.

Instead Talor plays here, becomes a top point guard in the country, plays overseas, wins the NIT and is respected across the conference and is gaining national attention. The whole NBA thing is still up in the air but if you give Talor a bigger body and keep the story the same he has a better chance at getting noticed at the NBA level at this point than he would have if he had been somewhere else.[/quote]

You give Talor a bigger body and take away his ankle injury his senior year and he wouldn’t be riding the pine anywhere. We can play this game all night and it won’t get us anywhere.

As for Desmond, he has stressed in interviews that he values a good education along with basketball and that is one of his reasons he likes us.