Recruiting Pre-Ed

I’m looking for some facts, or at the very least opinions with some sort of factual base. I’d just like a little bit of info on where we recruited, if we recruited, and why it did or did not happen. I’d rather that we only delt with the past two head coaches. I’ve got a pretty good idea but I want to see what others think.

You say “pre-ED”, so do you mean Dunn and Parkhill? Or do you mean ED and Dunn? I’m assuming the former for now.

Yea the former,Ive got Ed’s recruiting down.lol

Answer: Not much has changed. Dunn used to go all over the place to find big men that never panned out (Colorado, Idaho, etc). Ed seems to stay closer to home and similarly find big men that never pan out.

Here is 2002: http://rivals.yahoo.com/bwi/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2002
and 2003: http://rivals.yahoo.com/bwi/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2003

For 2003, remember Luber was a Dunn recruit (and Kelly), only Smith was an ED recruit

On the subject of Ed’s recruiting, I’ve always wondered about how he pulled Marlon Smith out of NYC and hasn’t gotten anyone from NYC since.

Wasn’t ED put on Marlon’s trail by the Kelly family when he was first talking to them after being hired? Not saying that was the reason he got Marlon, but I think it was a right time, right place situation.

I don’t know but weren’t we Marlon’s only real offer of note? I’ve always felt that his numbers were in large part due to the complete lack of bodies on that team. And in particular guards. I think where he ended up supports that view.

As for the Dunn vs Ed comparison regarding recruiting, I think I am in the minority here but I don’t agree that Ed has clearly upped the talent level here.

[quote="PSUBaller, post:6, topic:1122"]On the subject of Ed's recruiting, I've always wondered about how he pulled Marlon Smith out of NYC and hasn't gotten anyone from NYC since.[/quote]

I don’t know but weren’t we Marlon’s only real offer of note? I’ve always felt that his numbers were in large part due to the complete lack of bodies on that team. And in particular guards. I think where he ended up supports that view.

As for the Dunn vs Ed comparison regarding recruiting, I think I am in the minority here but I don’t agree that Ed has clearly upped the talent level here.

I think ED has improved his own recruiting year after year – not necessarily better than the best part of the Dunn era. However, this thread was intended to be about Parkhill and Dunn – not ED.

[quote="PSUBaller, post:6, topic:1122"]On the subject of Ed's recruiting, I've always wondered about how he pulled Marlon Smith out of NYC and hasn't gotten anyone from NYC since.[/quote]

I think ED has improved his own recruiting year after year – not necessarily better than the best part of the Dunn era. However, this thread was intended to be about Parkhill and Dunn – not ED.

I see. Looks like I’m not the only one who made that mistake. I don’t really have much knowledge of PSU players prior to 1990. My sense is that Parkhill was better. Or at least his players played the game better which is probably more a comment on coaching ability. I contend that the 1995 team with guys recruited while Parkhill was the coach was better than the 2001 Sweet 16 team.

While were at it I’d like to get an idea of people’s perception of Egli vs Bezdek.

I see. Looks like I’m not the only one who made that mistake. I don’t really have much knowledge of PSU players prior to 1990. My sense is that Parkhill was better. Or at least his players played the game better which is probably more a comment on coaching ability. I contend that the 1995 team with guys recruited while Parkhill was the coach was better than the 2001 Sweet 16 team.

You aren’t the only. I was just trying to get the topic back to where NGameday intended it. I don’t remember much from the early years of Parkhill. I know by the end he had a roster with Earl, Booth and Lisicky among some other pretty good players.

I think Bruce was able to recruit decent talent at the 1-3 spots, about the same as Dunn and Ed. The difference is that Bruce was able to develop the “big men” to round out the roster… Even when he went to assist at OSU, their post play improved dramatically while he was there. I think his post-play teaching was some of the best in his time (for which he never really got the proper credit)

The difference between the Bruce era and the others is that development of the bigs… I don’t think he was able to recruit the bigs any better, he just was very good at getting the most out of them.

I’d also like to discuss early to mid 1990s 76ers coaches. Who was best - Doug Moe, Fred Carter, or John Lucas? I find this debate to be equally inconsequential and trivial - we are missing the bigger picture that the recruiting and W/L records of the last 3 of Penn State’s coaches has left a ton to be desired. The common thread being that they all are linked to Parkhill’s staff that operated in a mid major conference with some limited success. The times, facilities, and conference have changed. Only the PSU athletic administration has not changed, because the are all myopic, provincial products of State College. I think it is time to make a clean break.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:11, topic:1122"]While were at it I'd like to get an idea of people's perception of Egli vs Bezdek.[/quote]

I’d also like to discuss early to mid 1990s 76ers coaches. Who was best - Doug Moe, Fred Carter, or John Lucas? I find this debate to be equally inconsequential and trivial - we are missing the bigger picture that the recruiting and W/L records of the last 3 of Penn State’s coaches has left a ton to be desired. The common thread being that they all are linked to Parkhill’s staff that operated in a mid major conference with some limited success. The times, facilities, and conference have changed. Only the PSU athletic administration has not changed, because the are all myopic, provincial products of State College. I think it is time to make a clean break.

Oh, for the love of god. NGameday just asked for some information and opinions on a specific topic. Can’t you respect anyone here? Or do you have to twist every thread into something sarcastic? If you don’t want to discuss his topic, then don’t. But don’t ridicule the topic.

Parkhill’s good big men: Booth-OH, Amaechi-UK, Degitz-FL, J.Barnes-MD, Fogell-PA

I think these guys were better than Dunn’s big men during their respective first year and senior year on campus.

[quote=“MillionaireMagic, post:16, topic:1122”]Parkhill’s good big men: Booth-OH, Amaechi-UK, Degitz-FL, J.Barnes-MD, Fogell-PA

I think these guys were better than Dunn’s big men during their respective first year and senior year on campus.[/quote]

I don’t think Parkhill actually went to the UK to recruit John so I wouldn’t want to suggest that Bruce was big about going overseas.

[quote=“MillionaireMagic, post:16, topic:1122”]Parkhill’s good big men: Booth-OH, Amaechi-UK, Degitz-FL, J.Barnes-MD, Fogell-PA

I think these guys were better than Dunn’s big men during their respective first year and senior year on campus.[/quote]

And none of those guys were highly touted or heavily recruited… And the 2 most successful were Amaechi (a transfer) and Booth (who lived under the nose of OSU who wasn’t interested). Both these guys did much better, and had success at the lext level, beyond what their High-school recruiting reputation would have indicated. Fogell was solid, but never really became a go-to guy until his senior year (which was great, BTW).

Athletic big man are hard to come by, and we’ve never really landed one. I just think that the above list is well regarded because they were so well coached.

[quote=“PSUBaller, post:6, topic:1122”]On the subject of Ed’s recruiting, I’ve always wondered about how he pulled Marlon Smith out of NYC and hasn’t gotten anyone from NYC since.[/quote]From what I remember ED talked to some very knowledgeable NYC hoops guy and asked him who was the best unsigned player. That guy told him it was Marlon so ED invited him for a visit. I remember Marlon commenting on the drive into SC for his visit. Seeing the cows and smelling the manure was completely foreign to him.

Thanks for the info guys, I’m writing a paper for my english class and I’m working on figuring out the major recruiting bases pre Ed. I remember hearing once that we didn’t even recruit in the Philly area much before him. I’m not positive on that one though. Generally I think Ed has done a better job getting talent. If anything his record would indicate that he has stuck with players that other teams have given up on and been rewarded.