PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Real reason Coble left NW

Sounds like Carmody stepped in one this time. Should be good recruiting fodder.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/11/19/coble.northwestern/index.html

Wow :o

Carmody can’t afford to be giving ultimatums like that.

Hey Kevin, can I interest you in taking a few grad courses at PSU next year?

[quote=“blue2blue, post:2, topic:1521”]Wow :o

Carmody can’t afford to be giving ultimatums like that.[/quote]

Agree with you 100%, that is not the way to handle that situation. I don’t see a problem with letting Coble stay in the US an continue to rehab at the time.

I doubt it’s as simple as this article seems to make us believe. I usually side with the adult.

A 22 year old that had the maturity to miss half a season to help care for his mother (who had breast cancer) isn’t considered an “adult” in your book?

Coble seems like a smart kid - i mean, this is Northwestern we’re talking about here, not Tennessee. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, what does he have to gain from lying about it?

[quote="tundra, post:5, topic:1521"]I doubt it's as simple as this article seems to make us believe. I usually side with the adult.[/quote]

Coble seems like a smart kid - i mean, this is Northwestern we’re talking about here, not Tennessee.

;D yeah clearly. this is northwestern, where they play by the rules and have never been to an ncaa tournament. this is northwestern, where bill carmody doesn’t host parties with recruits like bruce pearl does

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, what does he have to gain from lying about it?

yeah i mean, this isn’t tennessee we are talking about here. and, hey don’t take my word for it. all you need to know is northwestern has never been to an ncaa tournament. and word on the street is northwestern has some pretty darn good graduation rates too!

My guess is that it went something like this. Carmody either sensed or heard from players that they wanted to know what was going on with Coble. I think its a fair question. For the benefit of the team Carmody confronted Coble and told him what he wanted done. I don’t think anybody is really at fault here.

If Carmody is smart he’ll wait a few weeks and then privately approach Coble to rejoin the team for the winter semester. He’d have the entire break to get in shape and fit back into the team. His foot should be 100% by now.

That would be smart. Some front line with him, Shurna and Mirkovic. Is Crawford a #2? If he’s the #3, that might be the complication for Carmody. Does he sit Crawford? Didn’t he make the all frosh team? I can only think of Mirkovic, Shurna, Thompson and Crawford as last year’s starters, but if Crawford plays or can play the #2, they’d be tough with Coble.