Radio Broadcast Comments from Dick Jerardi and Steve Jones

I listened to Dick and Steve while watching on Justin TV. I don’t get the BTN here in Connecticut. Dick and Steve had some interesting comments about the game and PSU. In no particular order of importance:

1. Dick is really impressed with Bill Edwards. Thinks he will be even better once he gets his knee brace off and gets into basketball shape.

2. Steve commented that he was very impressed with Edwards during pre-season workouts and it looked like he would get a lot of minutes this year.

3. Once again, both were really high on Frazier.

4. Dick made the comment early on that he thought this was the best group of players that Ed has had while at PSU and maybe the best group of players ever at PSU. He said this team is not as good as last year’s team but that they had the potential to be. He went on to say that it will take a while for all the parts to mesh, but the potential was there.

5. In the few minutes that Sasa played, Dick liked what he saw. He especially liked the way he handled the ball and passed - looks like he knows what he’s doing on the court.

6. Both thought that PSU played well on offense and couldn’t explain why they couldn’t shoot in Charleston.

7. Dick said Ed would be happy with the win and the offense, but wouldn’t be happy with the defense.

8. Dick thought that SHU played exceptionally well on offense and opined that they would go far in the NEC. He thought they would be an NCAA tournament team. He said it was clear that most of these guys had played together for several years and really understood how each other played.

9. Dick said this was probably the first time in Ed’s tenure at PSU that there would be actual competition for positions and for playing time. He repeated that he thought the team would be good at the end of the year.

10. Dick thinks Cam Woodyard might be the best pure shooter on the team.

11. Both said the pace in the Virginia game would be much different - which I took to mean there would be a more plodding, Wisconsin type game from Virginia.

That’s about all I can remember. If anyone else who listened can remember anything else, feel free to add.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:357”]I listened to Dick and Steve while watching on Justin TV. I don’t get the BTN here in Connecticut. Dick and Steve had some interesting comments about the game and PSU. In no particular order of importance:

1. Dick is really impressed with Bill Edwards. Thinks he will be even better once he gets his knee brace off and gets into basketball shape.

2. Steve commented that he was very impressed with Edwards during pre-season workouts and it looked like he would get a lot of minutes this year.

4. Dick made the comment early on that he thought this was the best group of players that Ed has had while at PSU and maybe the best group of players ever at PSU. He said this team is not as good as last year’s team but that they had the potential to be. He went on to say that it will take a while for all the parts to mesh, but the potential was there.

5. In the few minutes that Sasa played, Dick liked what he saw. He especially liked the way he handled the ball and passed - looks like he knows what he’s doing on the court.

6. Both thought that PSU played well on offense and couldn’t explain why they couldn’t shoot in Charleston.

7. Dick said Ed would be happy with the win and the offense, but wouldn’t be happy with the defense.

8. Dick thought that SHU played exceptionally well on offense and opined that they would go far in the NEC. He thought they would be an NCAA tournament team. He said it was clear that most of these guys had played together for several years and really understood how each other played.

9. Dick said this was probably the first time in Ed’s tenure at PSU that there would be actual competition for positions and for playing time. He repeated that he thought the team would be good at the end of the year.

11. Both said the pace in the Virginia game would be much different - which I took to mean there would be a more plodding, Wisconsin type game from Virginia.

That’s about all I can remember. If anyone else who listened can remember anything else, feel free to add.[/quote]

As always, those guys are spot on. I liked the comments on Sasa. I thought he looked pretty good as well, but has to continue adjusting to the size and skill of the college game.

I haven’t gotten to listen to Steve and Dick at all this year - thanks for sharing their comments!

Considering how Tony Bennett’s Wazzou teams played, I also take from that statement that this will be a pretty slow-paced, grind it out game.

Luckily for us, that style can be tough to implement immediately - and UVA ain’t all that great.

Still - winning in an ACC building is never easy.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:357”]I listened to Dick and Steve while watching on Justin TV. I don’t get the BTN here in Connecticut. Dick and Steve had some interesting comments about the game and PSU. In no particular order of importance:

That’s about all I can remember. If anyone else who listened can remember anything else, feel free to add.[/quote]
Always interested in Dick’s critique, thanks for the info and your post.übersetzungsbüro Portugiesisch
hair loss cure

I think #9 is the key. We lost a lot of points last year and are now trying to fill that hole and mesh 3 new guys in. Only saw the 2nd half. Frazier and Edwards both looked REAL GOOD. Frazier was playing a little fast but reminded me of Stanley his first year, but we have Tim for another 3 after this year ;D. Edwards was much better than I had hoped which kind of makes me think Ed had this kid hid somewhere because he is very good.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:3, topic:357”]Considering how Tony Bennett’s Wazzou teams played, I also take from that statement that this will be a pretty slow-paced, grind it out game.

Luckily for us, that style can be tough to implement immediately - and UVA ain’t all that great.

Still - winning in an ACC building is never easy.[/quote]

I watched the 2nd half of the Virginia-Cleveland St game tonight after our game was over. This Virginia team looks very similiar to those last few Washington St teams, moving the ball constantly on offense, looking for a layup or open 3, and if nothing else chucking up a long 3 and the end of the shot clock. I really worry about whether our defense can stay disciplined enough to give 35 seconds of good D each possession without a breakdown somewhere. They really have some guys that can knock down open 3’s. It’s gonna be a really tough game down there, we’ll have to play very well at both ends of the court to pull out a win.

I agree that Sasa really knows what he is doing out there on the floor. He might have the best head for the game that we have. He will have to figure out how to get his shot off against better competition though.

Thanks Santini. I have respect for Steve and Dick’s opinion.
Couple of things. Sacred Heart was Sacred Heart. They may do well in the NEC but it would not be because they have superior athletes than the rest of the conference. Robert Morris appeared to me to have superior “athletes.” In watching the game last night my son (who has played against DJ) noted that DJ could score at will against the guy guarding him in the low post because the defender “looked about 5 inches shorter and can’t jump.” We all know DJ probaly will not score like this very often.
Sasa is Sasa. He has good ball skills and court sense BUT he can’t play UP. Last night in the shot that he had blocked his right shoulder (shooting shoulder) dropped as he shot. THUS he had very little arm extension upward. I like Sasa as a future potential contributor…but I don’t think he is ready yet. Plus PT minutes are going to be hard to come by with Edwards now in the mix. Also with Cam having a very good game.
I think this is going to be a very interesting season…hopefully it will be a lot of fun also.

[quote=“tundra, post:8, topic:357”]Thanks Santini. I have respect for Steve and Dick’s opinion.
Couple of things. Sacred Heart was Sacred Heart. They may do well in the NEC but it would not be because they have superior athletes than the rest of the conference. Robert Morris appeared to me to have superior “athletes.” In watching the game last night my son (who has played against DJ) noted that DJ could score at will against the guy guarding him in the low post because the defender “looked about 5 inches shorter and can’t jump.” We all know DJ probaly will not score like this very often.
Sasa is Sasa. He has good ball skills and court sense BUT he can’t play UP. Last night in the shot that he had blocked his right shoulder (shooting shoulder) dropped as he shot. THUS he had very little arm extension upward. I like Sasa as a future potential contributor…but I don’t think he is ready yet. Plus PT minutes are going to be hard to come by with Edwards now in the mix. Also with Cam having a very good game.
I think this is going to be a very interesting season…hopefully it will be a lot of fun also.[/quote]

Good point about Cam having a good game. I thought he looked better on defense - at least better than last year.

[quote="tundra, post:8, topic:357"][/quote]

Good point about Cam having a good game. I thought he looked better on defense - at least better than last year.

One optimistic aspect of this year’s team is that clearly teams are focusing on Talor as the guy they have to stop. This year we have other guys who can step up such as Cam Woodyard, DJ last night, Jeff Brooks and Bill Edwards. Quality depth is keeping us from being a one trick pony this year.