PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Question on recruits coming in

Obviously some discussion on the year Trey Lewis had in the other thread. Now that essentially their senior years are almost over, can somebody rundown PSU’s other three recruits and how they did senior year and whether their stock seemed to have went up or down.

From the Trey Lewis postings, it seems as if his stock went up as he grew a couple of inches since signing and had a great senior year. Sounds like a legit Big Ten player that should be able to contribute as a true frosh and the potential to be an All Big Ten type player as an upperclassmen.

What about the other guys. Either from newspaper/internet reviews or first hand experience in seeing them.

I can chime in on Pete Alexis from Wilkes-Barre Holy Redeemer. He’s 6’11" and reportedly about 265lbs. His season ended when Redeemer lost to Lancaster Catholic in the AAA State semi’s. He averaged right around 20 ppg. Don’t know about rebounds. He’s raw, but he has good size and good hands. Shoots fouls at about 60% which is good for a big guy at his age. It would be great to redshirt him next year, but I think we’ll need his size in the middle unless Ed can find a JUCO who can play center next year.

From what I’ve seen it seems like Travis, Lewis, and Alexis all had good senior seasons. I’m not sure on Ackerman. Rivals final rankings update should come out in a few weeks, I’ll be interested to see if those three see a boost to their ratings.

[quote=“Crisp(in)Rain, post:3, topic:2231”]From what I’ve seen it seems like Travis, Lewis, and Alexis all had good senior seasons. I’m not sure on Ackerman. Rivals final rankings update should come out in a few weeks, I’ll be interested to see if those three see a boost to their ratings.[/quote]If you go off stats alone , Pat by far had the least productive year.

Trey Lewis is the best player on one of the top 25 high school teams in the country (if you believe those polls). He seems to have a game similar to Talor Battle. I know it’s unfair to compare him to perhaps the best player we’ve ever had, but it’s the guy he was recruited to replace. I think he’ll be up to the task.

Ross Travis missed half of his junior season, so I’m hoping he’s a stud who slid under the radar because of injury. Early in the season, it seemed like his stats were kinda average. But from what I’ve read, it seems like he’s been a beast down the stretch. I really think he’ll contribute a lot during his career at PSU.

Peter Alexis is a bit of a wild card. He is a huge man. But he played against pretty mediocre competition. He did dominate that competition to a degree. But it’s always hard to judge big men in high school – they can’t do everything on their own the way a guard might be able to do. Given our lineup next year, it seems a given that Peter or Pat has to play some minutes. I’d guess that will be Peter since he has the size.

Pat Ackerman, as Battlesway stated, had the worst stats by far. Some games his stats were rather mediocre. But we don’t know what he contributes. We all know Andrew Jones contributed a lot of things that don’t show up in the stats. So we can’t just go by that. Pat is tall but from the pictures people have posted here, looks to be very thin. That is the main reason most speculate a redshirt year is probable.

Sorry I don’t have any stats. But hope this summary is helpful. It’s based only on info I’ve read here and various articles I’ve read. I have never seen any player in a game, just highlight videos. I am by no means an authority, so take that under consideration.

I’ve been trying to keep up with these guys as best as I can. Sure, I’ve seen some highlight videos, but anyone can look good in a highlight video. Trey Lewis, and Ross Travis seem to be our best prospects heading forward. I also think it’s interesting to note that despite statistically having the worst season, Pat Ackerman still remains a 3 star Center on Rivals, and Peter Alexis has no stars. I found this to be quite strange.

Lewis shared All-Ohio Player of the Year, so that’s at least promising. Ross Travis has great size, looks to have a good handle, and everything else. One player who I think should be thrown in with this class is Jonathan Graham. Especially since we medical redshirted him this year, and I recently read an article where Ed was quoted to be pretty high on Jonathan’s potential.

If we can get three good Big 10 starters out of Lewis, Travis, and Graham, then this class will be a success. I’m cautiously optimistic, but I think it would be unreasonable of us to expect a whole lot next season. The inexperience is going to be a killer, most importantly in crunch time.

2012 and beyond looks pretty good for the program though.

[quote=“mjg, post:5, topic:2231”]Trey Lewis is the best player on one of the top 25 high school teams in the country (if you believe those polls). He seems to have a game similar to Talor Battle. I know it’s unfair to compare him to perhaps the best player we’ve ever had, but it’s the guy he was recruited to replace. I think he’ll be up to the task.

Ross Travis missed half of his junior season, so I’m hoping he’s a stud who slid under the radar because of injury. Early in the season, it seemed like his stats were kinda average. But from what I’ve read, it seems like he’s been a beast down the stretch. I really think he’ll contribute a lot during his career at PSU.

Peter Alexis is a bit of a wild card. He is a huge man. But he played against pretty mediocre competition. He did dominate that competition to a degree. But it’s always hard to judge big men in high school – they can’t do everything on their own the way a guard might be able to do. Given our lineup next year, it seems a given that Peter or Pat has to play some minutes. I’d guess that will be Peter since he has the size.

Pat Ackerman, as Battlesway stated, had the worst stats by far. Some games his stats were rather mediocre. But we don’t know what he contributes. We all know Andrew Jones contributed a lot of things that don’t show up in the stats. So we can’t just go by that. Pat is tall but from the pictures people have posted here, looks to be very thin. That is the main reason most speculate a redshirt year is probable.

Sorry I don’t have any stats. But hope this summary is helpful. It’s based only on info I’ve read here and various articles I’ve read. I have never seen any player in a game, just highlight videos. I am by no means an authority, so take that under consideration.[/quote]Long story short look for us to get nice contributions from Trey and Ross , but we shouldn’t expect much of anything from either big next year with one of them probably red shirting

[quote=“rwd5035, post:6, topic:2231”]I’ve been trying to keep up with these guys as best as I can. Sure, I’ve seen some highlight videos, but anyone can look good in a highlight video. Trey Lewis, and Ross Travis seem to be our best prospects heading forward. I also think it’s interesting to note that despite statistically having the worst season, Pat Ackerman still remains a 3 star Center on Rivals, and Peter Alexis has no stars. I found this to be quite strange.

Lewis shared All-Ohio Player of the Year, so that’s at least promising. Ross Travis has great size, looks to have a good handle, and everything else. One player who I think should be thrown in with this class is Jonathan Graham. Especially since we medical redshirted him this year, and I recently read an article where Ed was quoted to be pretty high on Jonathan’s potential.

If we can get three good Big 10 starters out of Lewis, Travis, and Graham, then this class will be a success. I’m cautiously optimistic, but I think it would be unreasonable of us to expect a whole lot next season. The inexperience is going to be a killer, most importantly in crunch time.

2012 and beyond looks pretty good for the program though.[/quote]

Isn’t “no stars” the same as being unrated? I’d bet Pete is rated soon.

[quote="rwd5035, post:6, topic:2231"]I've been trying to keep up with these guys as best as I can. Sure, I've seen some highlight videos, but anyone can look good in a highlight video. Trey Lewis, and Ross Travis seem to be our best prospects heading forward. I also think it's interesting to note that despite statistically having the worst season, Pat Ackerman still remains a 3 star Center on Rivals, and Peter Alexis has no stars. I found this to be quite strange.

2012 and beyond looks pretty good for the program though.[/quote]

Isn’t “no stars” the same as being unrated? I’d bet Pete is rated soon.

Sure, I don’t think it really matters. It’s like the different pronunciations of water, still the same thing.

Highly doubt this happens. No centers besides Alexis and Ackerman, two freshmen.

I can chime in on Pete Alexis from Wilkes-Barre Holy Redeemer. He's 6'11" and reportedly about 265lbs. His season ended when Redeemer lost to Lancaster Catholic in the AAA State semi's. He averaged right around 20 ppg. Don't know about rebounds. He's raw, but he has good size and good hands. Shoots fouls at about 60% which is good for a big guy at his age. [b] It would be great to redshirt him next year, but I think we'll need his size in the middle unless Ed can find a JUCO who can play center next year.[/b]

Highly doubt this happens. No centers besides Alexis and Ackerman, two freshmen.

If Ed can pull in a JUCO center or PF, it would guarantee that at least one of the freshmen centers will redshirt. I think that’s the wildcard right now.

[quote="Great Santini, post:2, topic:2231"]I can chime in on Pete Alexis from Wilkes-Barre Holy Redeemer. He's 6'11" and reportedly about 265lbs. His season ended when Redeemer lost to Lancaster Catholic in the AAA State semi's. He averaged right around 20 ppg. Don't know about rebounds. He's raw, but he has good size and good hands. Shoots fouls at about 60% which is good for a big guy at his age. [b] It would be great to redshirt him next year, but I think we'll need his size in the middle unless Ed can find a JUCO who can play center next year.[/b][/quote]

If Ed can pull in a JUCO center or PF, it would guarantee that at least one of the freshmen centers will redshirt. I think that’s the wildcard right now.

ED has indicated that he’s still trying to fill that scholarship. So who knows. A JUCO could really help next year.

[quote="Crisp(in)Rain, post:3, topic:2231"]From what I've seen it seems like Travis, Lewis, and Alexis all had good senior seasons. I'm not sure on Ackerman. Rivals final rankings update should come out in a few weeks, I'll be interested to see if those three see a boost to their ratings.[/quote]If you go off stats alone , Pat by far had the least productive year.

But he might have played on the best team and for sure played in the best conference.

Travis is the guy in the class I am excited about. He is a legit 6-7, is very athletic, and can handle the ball. I think his jumper needs a bit of work, but from some film I have seen it isn’t bad.

If this class produces 2 solid starters, it will be more than a success in my opinion. I think each year you need to have at least 1 solid starter from each recruiting class, with some years you get lucky and get 2.

I will be interested to see who ED can pull in after our NCAA bid. I’m hoping he can carry some of that momentum on to the recruiting trail this summer… That will be the true test.

Sounds pretty typical for PSU hoops recruiting … the guards coming in seem promising, but who knows about the bigs. Is that the sense everyone else gets?

Can someone fill me in a little bit more on Travis. Seems like Lewis is hopefully a good scoring guard. Two 6’-10"+ centers that like any center PSU is going to get is going to need some time to mature and grow into a role. Barring Ed getting a Juco PF type, most likely one will play (Alexes because of size) and Ackerman will redshirt.

So Travis seems like the wildcard. Is he more of a 3 or 4 or combo? Is he a guy listed at 6’7" but more like 6’4" in reality? Is he more of an inside guy or slasher/leaper/swing man?

[quote=“Cletus11, post:17, topic:2231”]Can someone fill me in a little bit more on Travis. Seems like Lewis is hopefully a good scoring guard. Two 6’-10"+ centers that like any center PSU is going to get is going to need some time to mature and grow into a role. Barring Ed getting a Juco PF type, most likely one will play (Alexes because of size) and Ackerman will redshirt.

So Travis seems like the wildcard. Is he more of a 3 or 4 or combo? Is he a guy listed at 6’7" but more like 6’4" in reality? Is he more of an inside guy or slasher/leaper/swing man?[/quote]Doesn’t it seem like every year a majority of us are hoping for one of these ? ;D

[quote=“Cletus11, post:17, topic:2231”]Can someone fill me in a little bit more on Travis. Seems like Lewis is hopefully a good scoring guard. Two 6’-10"+ centers that like any center PSU is going to get is going to need some time to mature and grow into a role. Barring Ed getting a Juco PF type, most likely one will play (Alexes because of size) and Ackerman will redshirt.

So Travis seems like the wildcard. Is he more of a 3 or 4 or combo? Is he a guy listed at 6’7" but more like 6’4" in reality? Is he more of an inside guy or slasher/leaper/swing man?[/quote]

OK…I greatly encourage you to check the “recruiting” or the “tracking the committments” threads above. There are (or was, anyway) some video of Travis. Plus “google” him. You will get info.
Info from “your own eyes” will have more meaning to you about Travis.
BUT, I will also give “my opinion.” I like what I see about Travis. He appears to have good ball skills and a nice handle. He looks tall. 6-7 at least. He seems to be a perimeter player (3 position.)
I believe, Travis had a back injury earlier in his HS career. This my have limited his progress and recruiting ratings. I think, in summary, Travis is a Upside type of player, for a postion of PSU “need.” (3 position)

I’ve only seen the highlight reels of him but I’d say he’s more of a point forward. It looked like he had a similar game to Evan Turner.