PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Question: Last PSU player to win PIAA

Just wondering who was last PSU player to win a PIAA state championship?

Did David “DJ” Jackson win it his senior year, or did he lose that game?

[quote="PSUdraw, post:1, topic:3207"]Just wondering who was last PSU player to win a PIAA state championship?[/quote] Did David "DJ" Jackson win it his senior year, or did he lose that game?

They lost

Walker

I thought Walker’s team lost to Sto Rox in the State Final.

I believe Darren Tielsch won playing for Blackhawk in his soph season??

Walker
I thought Walker's team lost to Sto Rox in the State Final.

Sto-Rox beat Mike Walker’s Trinity team in the state final in 2004 - Mike’s senior year.

However, Trinity beat Sto-Rox in 2003, when Walker was a junior (he also on Trinity’s 2001 State Championship team, albeit as a reserve). So, as far as I can tell, that makes Mike the answer to the trivia question (Tielsch did win a state crown for Blackhawk as a soph in 1999 but that was before Walker’s two titles).

BTW - Walker was also the AA Player of the Year in 2003.

[quote="JohnT, post:4, topic:3207"]Walker[/quote] I thought Walker's team lost to Sto Rox in the State Final.

Sto-Rox beat Mike Walker’s Trinity team in the state final in 2004 - Mike’s senior year.
However, Trinity beat Sto-Rox in 2003, when Walker was a junior (he also on Trinity’s 2001 State Championship team albeit as a reserve). So that makes Mike the answer to the trivia question (as far as I can tell).

Thanks Lar, that who I thought it was but I wondered if I was missing someone after that (walk on or maybe Newbill). I knew DJ Jackson team played in the finals and lost.

[quote="JohnT, post:4, topic:3207"]Walker[/quote] I thought Walker's team lost to Sto Rox in the State Final.

However, Trinity beat Sto-Rox in 2003, when Walker was a junior (he also on Trinity’s 2001 State Championship team albeit as a reserve). So that makes Mike the answer to the trivia question (as far as I can tell).

Thanks Lar, that who I thought it was but I wondered if I was missing someone after that (walk on or maybe Newbill). I knew DJ Jackson team played in the finals and lost.

I had to do some digging before I committed to that answer because I thought there might be some trick answers to it.

For example, maybe a football player. Sean Lee and Shawn Oakman both had exceptional basketball careers but neither won a PIAA title.

A walk-on was another distinct possibility. Adam Highberger was the first athlete in PA history to score over 2000 points in basketball and throw for 4000 yards in football but he didn’t win the PIAA hoops crown (Terelle Pryor was the second - and he did win a state hoops championship)

Drew Astorino I think is most recent Football player to bring home a PIAA basketball title.

You’re right. Missed him. 2006 at General McLane. I thought I remembered that someone had won both crowns but I was thinking that it was Sean Lee and was surprised when I discovered Lee hadn’t. I had confused him with Astorino. Astorino not only won the championship, he hit the shot that won the game (and scored the game winning TD in the PIAA title game).

I believe AQ Shipley won a PIAA title in basketball at Moon (2004) and Jordan Hill won one at Steelton-Highspire (2008).

Don’t forget about Jordan Norwood. Was he ever officially on the basketball team too or was it just talk. Can’t remember clearly

Jordan was on the PSU team as a walk on one season.

Newbill played in the championship game with Strawberry mansion but lost.

Good point. That was 2003, the same year that Mike Walker won his, but the AAAA game is after the AA game so I suppose Norwood is technically the correct answer.

Don't forget about Jordan Norwood. Was he ever officially on the basketball team too or was it just talk. Can't remember clearly

Good point. That was 2003, the same year that Mike Walker won his, but the AAAA game is after the AA game so I suppose Norwood is technically the correct answer.

The question was the “last player to win … championship,” not the player that won the last championship. Walker played for Penn State after Norwood. Walker is technically correct. :wink:

[quote="laoDan, post:12, topic:3207"]Don't forget about Jordan Norwood. Was he ever officially on the basketball team too or was it just talk. Can't remember clearly[/quote]

The question was the “last player to win … championship,” not the player that won the last championship. Walker played for Penn State after Norwood. Walker is technically correct. :wink:

Better point. :wink:

I say Willie Morse. Oh, boy, this is gonna be a classic Larry Fall semantics debate now. ;D

That’s too easy, since he never played for us. He’d be in the last commit category, but not the last player category.

But, now that you’ve brought it up, I’m going to go back and change my vote to Walker. Jordan Norwood was only on the PSU team January through March of 2007, while Walker played the entire 2007-08 season. By JohnT reasoning, that makes Walker the LAST PLAYER. :wink:

What about the last manager? 8)