PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Quality of Basketball Conversation on this Board

Dave Jones’s insertion of his ignorance of economics and/or his political views into Phil’s Knight’s speech yesterday, as well as the recent topic of Peter Alexis being/not being “run off” has let me to start this topic.

I have been a long time lurker here but rare poster, due mainly to the fact that one cannot have a discussion of PSU and B1G basketball hear without the thread devolving into personalty battles, an injection of politics or being reprimanded for talking about “taboo” areas, such as mild criticism of a player’s performance or the lack of a particular skillset (‘would you say this to his mother?’).

I would love to talk more about recruiting, in game strategy, other B1G teams and road trip experiences (i recently finished a degree at UIUC and was at the Big ten Tourney in Indy last year). Yet it seems in game threads devolve into blaming the referees and other threads veer into personal attacks. Politics shows up in places where it shouldn’t and personal friendships (most discussions involving ED) bias arguments.

The purpose of this thread is the hope of getting more topics on this board to focus on an intelligent discussion of PSU basketball (and opponents) and less agenda driven.

You say you want to change the way we discuss, and that we need to discuss recruiting more? We have like a 160+ page thread on recruiting specifically. What more do you want to see us discuss on this topic?

I understand your points, not entirely sure I agree with them.

“Intelligent discussion” is relative. :smiley: I understand your point. But that’s life - this is a “melting pot” of discussor’s. :wink:

I’d say the political and societal discussions that occur on this board are handled generally calmly and professionally.

And having a freshman decide mid-season he’s turning in his scholarship for the following season is certainly a relevant topic to discuss since it’s not exactly a common event.

This isn’t going to change.

Personally, I think the quality of basketball conversations here are way above par of the average board. Most boards are full of crap and useless discussions or rants by one or two posters. TJB has provided a board that we can speak our mind and discuss the topics at hand with regard to the team and our occasional OT areas. I applaud TJB for providing us a home. PSH.com is far and away the best basketball board out there for PSU BB.

tjb:

So I am doing a midpoint evaluation of the team. When talking about Jermaine Marshall, it’s no-go to mention his inconsistent defense and propensity to commit charges but allowable to mention that if he can clean up the two weaknesses and stay on the court, his ability to create his own shot might be a key for this team to reach the post season next year? This is what i am talking about, not after a poor shooting effort saying “(Name redacted) sux!!!”.

I realize this is your board, but come on. Anyone who strives to excel at anything knows they need to improve their weaknesses and they have no doubt identified those areas. I’ll bet the player’s parents know what their son’s need to work on and in fact mention it to them quite often. I don’t see the problem mentioning it within thios type on context. Otherwise, the board’s name should be changed to pennstatecheerleading.com.

You don’t have to worry, I’ll most likely just go back to lurking. What I may do for next season is start a blog with a former poster from this site, similar in style to the one eric had before he went to BSD. The tone would be objective, with an emphasis on strategy (offense and defensive styles and systems) and tempo-free analysis, with frank criticism given whenever deserved.

CC, I think you’d be fine with the first part of your critque on a player, but to just say a player sucks would probably be harsh.

How often does someone say “_____ sux!!!” That’s not a post I’m very familiar with on this board.

Okay, so if someone says what you said about Jermaine Marshall (which I agree with btw), what does everyone say in response as it relates to a discussion? If you bring up a point like if this player improves here ____, he’ll be a lot better. Then, what type of discussion spins off of that? Mostly it’ll be people saying “I agree, good post.” or it will be “Yea he can improve here, and also here too.” Which is then followed by more nodding, and agreement.

Good luck on your blog if you go that route next year.

[quote=“crimsoncrusher, post:7, topic:3018”]tjb:

So I am doing a midpoint evaluation of the team. When talking about Jermaine Marshall, it’s no-go to mention his inconsistent defense and propensity to commit charges but allowable to mention that if he can clean up the two weaknesses and stay on the court, his ability to create his own shot might be a key for this team to reach the post season next year? This is what i am talking about, not after a poor shooting effort saying “(Name redacted) sux!!!”.

I realize this is your board, but come on. Anyone who strives to excel at anything knows they need to improve their weaknesses and they have no doubt identified those areas. I’ll bet the player’s parents know what their son’s need to work on and in fact mention it to them quite often. I don’t see the problem mentioning it within thios type on context. Otherwise, the board’s name should be changed to pennstatecheerleading.com.

You don’t have to worry, I’ll most likely just go back to lurking. What I may do for next season is start a blog with a former poster from this site, similar in style to the one eric had before he went to BSD. The tone would be objective, with an emphasis on strategy (offense and defensive styles and systems) and tempo-free analysis, with frank criticism given whenever deserved. [/quote]

“What you would say to his mother” is not that difficult a concept! Though I am occasionally surprised at what people are willing to say to other people’s mothers.

What you posted here is perfectly acceptable. I just hope for people to remember that these are real people.

I would add that over the years, I have anecdotes from parents about how they appreciate this place, but they still don’t hang out here for he most part. They are parents, after all. Every slight is painful, even the well-mannered ones.

I try to have a ‘no graffiti’ policy - the idea that once a place gets tagged and not cleaned up, all hell breaks loose. So I have stopped some stuff that reasonable people may feel is reasonable.

The thing is, if you like football, you can stay away from the football boards (and their poison) and still find it easy to engage in a good Nittany Lion conversation with someone. Not as easy for basketball, so this place was created for like mindeds to do so. Or as some used to say, “The Stepford Board.” :slight_smile:

[quote=“crimsoncrusher, post:7, topic:3018”]tjb:

You don’t have to worry, I’ll most likely just go back to lurking. What I may do for next season is start a blog with a former poster from this site, similar in style to the one eric had before he went to BSD. The tone would be objective, with an emphasis on strategy (offense and defensive styles and systems) and tempo-free analysis, with frank criticism given whenever deserved.[/quote]

ACCEPTIBLE:
“inconsistent defense and propensity to commit charges”

UNACCEPTIBLE:
“he is a lifeless blob that holds back any success. If he blew out his knee and never came back, it would be a victory for this team”

We are not entirely PC nazis on this forum. I’m just about the biggest azzhole you can meet, but I haven’t been banned yet.

Please, visit this forum… PennLive - Penn State Basketball Forum.

After spending about an hour over there, return to this forum. It is literally like coming up for air !!!

tjb:

You don’t have to worry, I’ll most likely just go back to lurking. What I may do for next season is start a blog with a former poster from this site, similar in style to the one eric had before he went to BSD. The tone would be objective, with an emphasis on strategy (offense and defensive styles and systems) and tempo-free analysis, with frank criticism given whenever deserved.

ACCEPTIBLE:
“inconsistent defense and propensity to commit charges”

UNACCEPTIBLE:
“he is a lifeless blob that holds back any success. If he blew out his knee and never came back, it would be a victory for this team”

We are not entirely PC nazis on this forum.

But we do like to point out spelling and grammar mistakes :slight_smile:

[quote=“Skeeza, post:11, topic:3018”]…
Please, visit this forum… PennLive - Penn State Basketball Forum.

After spending about an hour over there, return to this forum. It is literally like coming up for air !!![/quote]

You’ve been able to stand the PennLive board for an entire hour? I’m duly impressed! :wink:

Not to interrupt, but does this imply that I’ve changed my tone or my writing since I went to BSD?

Oh, and I’d be careful what you say about Jermaine. Speaking from personal experience ;).

I think part of the reason there is not a lot of “technical” discussions on this board this season is because the team as a whole has no identity. The players are not consistent game to game or even half to half. I guess most of the posters here dont want to simply list a long set of grievances game after game. So they just say something to the effect of “It will get better next year” or “when PC has his players”.

Lately, only the IGT has any of the kind of discussions the OP is talking about. Nothing wrong with that.

May be, it will get better next season? ;D

So has anyone heard is Billy sitting a couple of games or the rest of the year with his injury?

How’s that for quality of basketball conversation? :wink:

This board is very good and Tim has provided an invaluable service by maintaining it. The other PSU boards are football-centric. There’s nothing wrong with that - they just are because football has been the big sport at PSU for as long as anyone can remember. This is the board that focuses on hoops.

You won’t find too many “PSU has to recruit Philly” or “PSU basketball is unacceptable” posts here like you do from the casual fans on the other boards.

As with any board, if you don’t like it, don’t read the posts. If you don’t like the board, start your own.

As for me, I’m staying.

And a special thanks to Tim once again. 8)

I doubt that more than a couple of posters (if that) were “friends” with Ed, just as I’m guessing few if any posters are friends with Pat. Though back when I supported keeping Ed around, I was accused of being his friend. I just don’t get that comment that you made.

Politics on sports message boards rarely ever show up in places where they should.

[quote="crimsoncrusher, post:7, topic:3018"]You don't have to worry, I'll most likely just go back to lurking. What I may do for next season is start a blog with a former poster from this site, similar in style to the one eric had before he went to BSD. The tone would be objective, with an emphasis on strategy (offense and defensive styles and systems) and tempo-free analysis, with frank criticism given whenever deserved.[/quote]

Not to interrupt, but does this imply that I’ve changed my tone or my writing since I went to BSD?

Oh, and I’d be careful what you say about Jermaine. Speaking from personal experience ;).

Eric:

No, I did not mean to imply you changed your tone from your blog to BSD. You do seem to temper you comments on this board, though, relative to what you post on BSD or the blog (like last year early in the season concerning the frustration over the “chuck and duck” offense we were running and the wide open 3s being given up on D due to poor rotation and doubling down in the post against nonscoring threats). I like your previews and tempo-free stats and summaries; I refused to post over there because no one other than yourself knows or cares about b-ball. It would be nice to post those things over here, to possibly jump start the type of conversation I am looking for (I sure BSD would not be thrilled, though).