PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Q&A with Coach Chambers

Note the reference to “ESPN and Old Spice” tournaments.

I’m not sure if he’s speaking literally or figuratively there, though I’m guessing figuratively.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/penn-state-basketball-qa-with-new-hoops-coach-patrick-chambers-part-i-813707/

Quality Q & A.

Quite!

I’m telling everyone right now - Chambers will be the real deal. I can just tell by the way he communicates, his charisma, and the energy he brings to the table. The guy lights up a room. PSU hoops has never has anything close to this before. Users always list excuses to why this program has failed in the past. (location, lack of support, ect). I was always in the camp that we simply have never hired the right man for this job. Well ladies and gentleman, I believe the time has finally come. You will see that although the challenges may be real, Chambers will overcome it all. We have a great school, largest alumni in the country, good facilities, and a top conference. In my opinion, coach Chambers will finally awaken this long sleeping giant. Sure it’s super early in the game. You might say wait a minute? The guy hasn’t coached a game or recruited players yet. Well, I don’t need to wait. I can just tell, it’s ON.

I hope you are right. I’ve heard arguments that he isn’t doing anything different than ED when he first arrived in '03. But to me, it sure seems a lot different. It seemed to me that ED was saying all the right things, but PC actually believes what he is saying.

Possibly funny story, I’m sure related here before. Years ago, I was working at a software company that had a difficult sell. We were trying to get big bucks to develop custom applications that would help specify (and sell) engineered products - things like pumps that had to take into account a lot of math to ensure the right one was purchased for the job. Our salesman thought I was the one guy on the tech team he could take with him to help explain the products because I was not quite as asocial as the rest of the engineering team.

I told him that never considered myself a salesman, but that I could sell our products because I believed in them.

“That’s not selling,” he said. “Anybody can sell something if they believe in it.”

I would be far more likely to buy what ED was selling because I had the sense he wouldn’t be BSing me. If he told me something, it was because he could believe in it, and I could too.

But I am not the target audience, and 2., just because PC more enthusiastically believes things that might not hold up to comparisons with objective reality doesn’t make him wrong, or sleazy.

I believe in the power of “believing” against all odds, because it’s the only way anyone really succeeds.

Is it possible that 2 different people could go about doing the exact same thing and achieve different results?

So much of making the hoops team successful is about getting others to see and do things differently. Two different people might DO the same things, but if one can convince others of the changes better than the other, then it’s logical that a different result is possible.

It would also be fair to admire the 1st guy for doing the right things, even if he was never able to convince enough others of his intended path.

[quote=“MarkH, post:7, topic:2560”]Is it possible that 2 different people could go about doing the exact same thing and achieve different results?

So much of making the hoops team successful is about getting others to see and do things differently. Two different people might DO the same things, but if one can convince others of the changes better than the other, then it’s logical that a different result is possible.

It would also be fair to admire the 1st guy for doing the right things, even if he was never able to convince enough others of his intended path.[/quote]

And it should be noted that if PC is successful right away, part of that success can be directly attributed to the solid foundation ED laid out in his 8 seasons here.

Is it possible that 2 different people could go about doing the exact same thing and achieve different results?

It would also be fair to admire the 1st guy for doing the right things, even if he was never able to convince enough others of his intended path.

And it should be noted that if PC is successful right away, part of that success can be directly attributed to the solid foundation ED laid out in his 8 seasons here.

Good gravy…I believe, Ed was 41-95 in the league. We have NO (or very little) student fanbase and little fanbase as a whole.
It seems most people feel we project to last in the conference this season!
Solid foundation…???..you have got to be kiddin!!

If PC is successfu… PC is responsible…in spite of PSU’s past

BUT, in fairest we should wait and see this years new players before we make a final statement on Ed’s legacy.

[quote="MarkH, post:7, topic:2560"]Is it possible that 2 different people could go about doing the exact same thing and achieve different results?

It would also be fair to admire the 1st guy for doing the right things, even if he was never able to convince enough others of his intended path.[/quote]

Good gravy…I believe, Ed was 41-95 in the league. We have NO (or very little) student fanbase and little fanbase as a whole.
It seems most people feel we project to last in the conference this season!
Solid foundation…???..you have got to be kiddin!!

If PC is successfu… PC is responsible…in spite of PSU’s past

BUT, in fairest we should wait and see this years new players before we make a final statement on Ed’s legacy.

Isn’t that sorta what I said? “…should be noted that if PC is successful right away…” PC wouldn’t have a chance to be successful right away if there was NO foundation. PC won’t have a single player he recruited on his first team. And maybe just one on his second. Possibly 2 or 3 on his third. All that could change if players transfer, etc, but as it stands, this is the foundation ED put together.

If he turns the lemons into lemonade who gets the credit?

As unfair as it might sound, if this team does well next season, I think it is because PC will have done a great coaching job. If the team does not do well next season, I think it is because the players weren’t in place to compete. I’m sure I sound like a PC fanboy, but this roster does not jump out at me as one ready to compete in the Big 10 without the head coach doing a great job. Additionally, with all the youth on the team, it’s not like PC is getting handed a team that the previous staff had years to develop.

I would agree that if a coach came in last season and succeeded, it would have been largely due to the previous staff. I just don’t think that is the case with this team.

[quote=“NICU, post:11, topic:2560”]If he turns the lemons into lemonade who gets the credit?

As unfair as it might sound, if this team does well next season, I think it is because PC will have done a great coaching job. If the team does not do well next season, I think it is because the players weren’t in place to compete. I’m sure I sound like a PC fanboy, but this roster does not jump out at me as one ready to compete in the Big 10 without the head coach doing a great job. Additionally, with all the youth on the team, it’s not like PC is getting handed a team that the previous staff had years to develop.

I would agree that if a coach came in last season and succeeded, it would have been largely due to the previous staff. I just don’t think that is the case with this team.[/quote]

Okay, fair enough. This is another chicken / egg discussion. The players were recruited by ED. So if they succeed, is it because they were good recruits? Or because PC coached them up? I think it takes both. We’ll see. Based on our predicted last place finish (see the preview thread), anything above double digit wins might be considered an amazing coaching feat. I have more faith in the staff and this group of players. I think there’s a couple hidden gems in that group. That’s why I’m giving ED more credit than others.

If he turns the lemons into lemonade who gets the credit?

I would agree that if a coach came in last season and succeeded, it would have been largely due to the previous staff. I just don’t think that is the case with this team.

Okay, fair enough. This is another chicken / egg discussion. The players were recruited by ED. So if they succeed, is it because they were good recruits? Or because PC coached them up? I think it takes both. We’ll see. Based on our predicted last place finish (see the preview thread), anything above double digit wins might be considered an amazing coaching feat. I have more faith in the staff and this group of players. I think there’s a couple hidden gems in that group. That’s why I’m giving ED more credit than others.

IF there are several hidden gems THEN Ed does desire a fair amount of the credit!

Chambers seems very different, to me he seems more real and inspires more confidence.

Part 2 of the interview:

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/penn-state-basketball-part-2-qa-with-new-hoops-coach-patrick-chambers-815042/

[quote=“Tom, post:15, topic:2560”]Part 2 of the interview:

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/penn-state-basketball-part-2-qa-with-new-hoops-coach-patrick-chambers-815042/[/quote]

Believe it or not but this

[i]"You’ve already have an early commitment (Akosa Madueg- bunam, a 6-foot-3 swingman from Charlestown, Mass.), right? Can you talk about him?

I can’t. He is a verbal. A good one."[/i]

will probably wind up being an NCAA self reported violation.

[quote="Tom, post:15, topic:2560"]Part 2 of the interview:

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/penn-state-basketball-part-2-qa-with-new-hoops-coach-patrick-chambers-815042/[/quote]

[i]"You’ve already have an early commitment (Akosa Madueg- bunam, a 6-foot-3 swingman from Charlestown, Mass.), right? Can you talk about him?

If “A good one” was referring to Akosa being a solid verbal, would that be a violation?

[quote="Tom, post:15, topic:2560"]Part 2 of the interview:

If “A good one” was referring to Akosa being a solid verbal, would that be a violation?

Yes.

I thought “A good one” was in reference to Chambers’ approval of the interviewer’s question :slight_smile:

Actually, he’s misquoted a bit.

If you watch the video:

Interviewer: …can you talk about him?
Chambers: I can’t. [interviewer interjects with something like ‘is that because of NCAA rules’] yeah, can’t…he’s a verbal (pause) and uh (longer pause) he’s a good player.