PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Purging JoePa - Ugliness Yet to Come

Unfortunately the ugliness has barely begun for Joe.

Next up is the statue outside Beaver Stadium, his name on the Library, scholarship funds, pictures on walls, awards in show cases etc etc

Sooner rather than later, the mob, will reason …well … you fired him …ergo he’s guilty … so how can you possibly have his statue outside your stadium and his name on the library

Those that feel the ‘beast’ has been sated are naive … we’ve simply empowered them to demand a complete purging of Joe
[/quote]

[quote=“jlr820, post:1, topic:2795”]Unfortunately the ugliness has barely begun for Joe.

Next up is the statue outside Beaver Stadium, his name on the Library, scholarship funds, pictures on walls, awards in show cases etc etc

Sooner rather than later, the mob, will reason …well … you fired him …ergo he’s guilty … so how can you possibly have his statue outside your stadium and his name on the library

Those that feel the ‘beast’ has been sated are naive … we’ve simply empowered them to demand a complete purging of Joe[/quote]

First up. The trophy for the championship game. I could easily see the Big Ten deciding to rename it.

[quote="jlr820, post:1, topic:2795"]Unfortunately the ugliness has barely begun for Joe.

Those that feel the ‘beast’ has been sated are naive … we’ve simply empowered them to demand a complete purging of Joe[/quote]

First up. The trophy for the championship game. I could easily see the Big Ten deciding to rename it.

What aboutthe Gary Schultz Child Care Center at Hort Woods?

It also seems that "Town & Gown’s Renaissance Honoree of the Year award is like the John Madden-Sports Illustrated curse when it comes to PSU people. Rene Portland was the honoree when she blew up, and now Graham & Sandra Spanier were this year’s honorees.

What a crock. They should not take his name off of anything.

Joes mistake was not telling MM that if he saw a crime go directly to the police. Instead he told Curley and the person the chief of police reports to about what he heard about a former employee, not saw.

[quote=“Locksmith, post:4, topic:2795”]What a crock. They should not take his name off of anything.

Joes mistake was not telling MM that if he saw a crime go directly to the police. Instead he told Curley and the person the chief of police reports to about what he heard about a former employee, not saw.[/quote]

Actually, Paterno told Curley. Then MM went in front of Curley and the person the chief of police reports to, and MM told both of them HIMSELF, first hand. They still did nothing.

GA, as someone smarter than me pointed out, is a star witness. Joe Pa is second billing. The prosecution is dividing and conquering.

I’m really wishing that my fellow Penn Staters would stop parsing the ethical details of this mess. I don’t think it reflects well on us. Just my opinion - but it’s considered, and I don’t mean to call anyone out personally. It’s a gut-wrenching time.

I think you can be sorry for Paterno, his treatment and his reputation without having to rationalize or justify his actions, which even he says (at potential risk to him personally) were not enough.

TJB:

Are you calling for the janitors and a supervisor that allegedly failed to report the incident one of their colleagues evidently saw in 2000 to be fired? You seem to have a good grasp of what is right and wrong.

http://m.npr.org/news/front/1059?page=2

Jim Calhoun: A temporary worker whose job as a janitor at Penn State lasted only eight months, Calhoun told co-workers and a supervisor in 2000 that he witnessed Sandusky engaging in sexual activity with a boy in a campus locker-room shower. Several staff members later said that Calhoun, a veteran of the Korean War, was visibly shaken by what he reported seeing. He now resides in an assisted living facility and reportedly has dementia.

I haven’t given much thought to the janitors. I’ve been more concerned with the leadership.

I really don’t have a good grasp of what is right and wrong, just my own beliefs and opinions.

It is my opinion that ferreting out all the little people who were involved at this moment in time seems like more of an effort to protect Joe’s reputation than a concern that the culpability is appropriately proportioned.

I don’t see how it’s so hard to see that everyone involved is probably going to get theirs in this thing, and that we are just at the beginning. The BOT drew a line in the sand that there is something rotten here, they started at the top - in a move that may be primarily and on some level unfairly symbolic - and they say they will conduct a thorough investigation.

If there is any sense here that Paterno is going to be scapegoated here and that everyone else is going to be fine, I think that is unlikely. Highly. Paterno and Spanier are just the very highly visible step 1 - I hope and expect.

That was actually my first thought last night. “If they fire him, does that mean they have to give back the library?”

[quote="jlr820, post:1, topic:2795"]Unfortunately the ugliness has barely begun for Joe.

Did they name anything after Woody Hayes? I can see the B1G initially taking the name off and just calling it the B1G championship trophy until this sorts itself out. Then they can reattach Joe’s name to it if things shake out okay.

Did they name anything after Woody Hayes? I can see the B1G initially taking the name off and just calling it the B1G championship trophy until this sorts itself out. Then they can reattach Joe’s name to it if things shake out okay.

The Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year Award.

[quote=“tjb, post:8, topic:2795”]I haven’t given much thought to the janitors. I’ve been more concerned with the leadership.

I really don’t have a good grasp of what is right and wrong, just my own beliefs and opinions.

It is my opinion that ferreting out all the little people who were involved at this moment in time seems like more of an effort to protect Joe’s reputation than a concern that the culpability is appropriately proportioned.

I don’t see how it’s so hard to see that everyone involved is probably going to get theirs in this thing, and that we are just at the beginning. The BOT drew a line in the sand that there is something rotten here, they started at the top - in a move that may be primarily and on some level unfairly symbolic - and they say they will conduct a thorough investigation.

If there is any sense here that Paterno is going to be scapegoated here and that everyone else is going to be fine, I think that is unlikely. Highly. Paterno and Spanier are just the very highly visible step 1 - I hope and expect.[/quote]

I don’t think Paterno supports are ferretting out blame to protect Joe, so much…

I think there is a huge concern that Joe is being Scapegoated, and I think poeple are defensive of that happening. The media is crashing on Joe as if he did the crimes himself, and the person who cause this persecution of Paterno is still on PSU’s payroll.

I think the true question on people’s minds are if Paterno was intentionally put out there to be the scapegoat. The hungry media mob wanted Joe’s head, and the BoT, whether intentionally or not, handed him over.

Does curley survive until “a thorough investigation” is conducted? Why does Paterno NOT get the same benefit of the doubt?

Just walked by it over lunch, and his name is off the building. The sign has been replaced by two 2x8s.

[quote="timauman, post:3, topic:2795"]What about[url=http://live.psu.edu/story/55302]the Gary Schultz Child Care Center at Hort Woods[/url]?[/quote]

Just walked by it over lunch, and his name is off the building. The sign has been replaced by two 2x8s.

I’m telling you, the dominoes are falling. Not to worry about a lack of scapegoats!

well, the sign was a black rectangle, like a domino

[quote="timauman, post:3, topic:2795"]What about[url=http://live.psu.edu/story/55302]the Gary Schultz Child Care Center at Hort Woods[/url]?[/quote]

I’m telling you, the dominoes are falling. Not to worry about a lack of scapegoats!

Another domino falls - Ashton Kutcher’s Twitter Account

Talked to an OPP guy I know. The sign at the Schultz building was ripped down at night, most likely by students. OPP covered up the holes with the plans the following morning.

Sandusky Blitz gone, Peachy Paterno stays.

http://news.yahoo.com/penn-state-tries-pick-pieces-abuse-fallout-130010884.html

Paterno gets a lawyer.