PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Purdue

I know we just don’t match up well with Purdue, but they’ve lost two close games in a row on the road and they may be hitting their mid-season slump. I think we have a chance against them - especially if Talor can have a good shooting night. I’d love to end this five games against ranked opponents stretch with a 3-2 record. No doubt, it’s a tough task at Purdue, but our guys should be confident and hungry.

I would’ve felt better if they won at WVU to be honest. Painter is going to have them chomping at the bit after these two losses on the road…especially at Mackey.

I don’t know. People were all over the “OSU” thread saying the same thing about how Matta was going to light a fire under his guys as they were just scraping by the likes of Iowa and Minny. Yet the Nits were able to hang with them for the most part.

The thing that doomed PSU the first time vs Purdue was the incredible pressure they put on Battle. Causing him to force way too much crap. Since then, the other starters have stepped up in a very big way. Purdue just can’t lock down Talor every time he gets the ball now, yet Talor has to be smart enough to look for his teammates. Though if Timmy does what he did in Columbus, this game could be very interesting. I’d love to see him drive the lane on a consistent basis, forcing Purdue’s JJ to make a decision.

The Nits bigger issue will lie with Johnson. The refs will protect him on both sides of the court, just like they managed to do with Sullinger. He will look to block everything in his path and probably be able to get away with a hack here or a body there. And on the offensive end, we breathe on him, the whistle will blow. I don’t like to play the sour grapes card, but if Talor is not going to get the benefit of the doubt with a freshman guarding him (Craft), then neither should either of the JJs.

Purdue plays as physical as any team in the big10, which never bodes well for us in my opinion.

If we’re able to execute I think we can win, but this is probably my least favorite team to face in the big10 right now given the way we match up against them. If I hated our chances against OSU, I despise them even moreso against Purdue. But we gave the buckeyes all they wanted, so let’s hope I’m wrong again and we give the boilers a little something to remember us by. :wink:

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:1794”]I don’t know. People were all over the “OSU” thread saying the same thing about how Matta was going to light a fire under his guys as they were just scraping by the likes of Iowa and Minny. Yet the Nits were able to hang with them for the most part.

The thing that doomed PSU the first time vs Purdue was the incredible pressure they put on Battle. Causing him to force way too much crap. Since then, the other starters have stepped up in a very big way. Purdue just can’t lock down Talor every time he gets the ball now, yet Talor has to be smart enough to look for his teammates. Though if Timmy does what he did in Columbus, this game could be very interesting. I’d love to see him drive the lane on a consistent basis, forcing Purdue’s JJ to make a decision.

The Nits bigger issue will lie with Johnson. The refs will protect him on both sides of the court, just like they managed to do with Sullinger. He will look to block everything in his path and probably be able to get away with a hack here or a body there. And on the offensive end, we breathe on him, the whistle will blow. I don’t like to play the sour grapes card, but if Talor is not going to get the benefit of the doubt with a freshman guarding him (Craft), then neither should either of the JJs.[/quote]

Good post. Right on! At home I would think Purdue would be even more aggressive on defense…and "get the calls."
I think we will see a faster tempo over all and more total team fouls starting from the opening whistle. Again, our bigs are going to have to play very smart!!
We will see…

I agree that Johnson will get the calls, but I do think that Talor is getting some calls too. Maybe not as many as some, but there were several calls late that he got late in the OSU game that were questionable, and the OSU players reacted accordingly. Aside from the one offensive foul-pushoff called on Talor, he did get to the line quite a bit at the end of the day. I’m remembering the one play where he drove the lane, tried to lean into Craft to get the foul and it looked like he simply lost his footing because Craft backed away. Talor fell down and got the call. A couple other minor-ish hand-checks were called in his favor on the perimeter.

When I watched the OSU game, I was pretty PO’ed about the two late calls that went for Sullinger, but in retrospect, I think it was a fairly evenly called game. Especially after the first call Sullinger got against Jones that fouled him out, you just knew that the next time they went to him, the same thing was likely to be called, and it was. Give OSU credit for recognizing the situation and making the play.

But back on topic, I’m excited about the Purdue game. We’ve really struggled against them recently, but I do think this will be better than last game. If Timmy and Talor can drive and draw Johnson, that may open up Jones for some easy points. In the first game, Jones had a few baskets early but then disappeared… that was the first sign of offense from him in quite a while. Now, he is more of a threat with his ability to knock down that 15’ jumper. Pulls Johnson from the hoop, and if he keeps hitting it, Purdue will have to make a choice with Johnson… does he go for the block, or does he stay home on Jones? That could be the key to the game on the offensive side.

[quote=“ronb89, post:6, topic:1794”]When I watched the OSU game, I was pretty PO’ed about the two late calls that went for Sullinger, but in retrospect, I think it was a fairly evenly called game. Especially after the first call Sullinger got against Jones that fouled him out, you just knew that the next time they went to him, the same thing was likely to be called, and it was. Give OSU credit for recognizing the situation and making the play.

But back on topic, I’m excited about the Purdue game. We’ve really struggled against them recently, but I do think this will be better than last game. If Timmy and Talor can drive and draw Johnson, that may open up Jones for some easy points. In the first game, Jones had a few baskets early but then disappeared… that was the first sign of offense from him in quite a while. Now, he is more of a threat with his ability to knock down that 15’ jumper. Pulls Johnson from the hoop, and if he keeps hitting it, Purdue will have to make a choice with Johnson… does he go for the block, or does he stay home on Jones? That could be the key to the game on the offensive side. [/quote]

Foul on Jones was bogus. He had 4 and was avoiding contact. Sullinger initiated the contact AND drew the foul. You see it all the time, though, when anyone’s matched up one-on-one in the paint. One of my pet peeves about hoops and foul calls how the offensive player can initiate contact and get a foul call. Foul on Oliver was legit, though. He did wrap his arm around at the end. (of course, all in my humble opinion)

In terms of Purdue, There are 2 things at play here:

1. Purdue’s physical D can be even more physical at home. It’s just a fact. That doesn’t bode well for us.
  2. I’ll call it the Jets factor (on honor of their big win yesterday). The team that won the 1st matchup big has no incentive for adjustments or motivation. Therefore, they could be susecptiple to a letdown, and to coaching adjsutments that they don’t anticipate.

Given that, OSU is a team we’ve had close games in the past… Purdue under Painter, we haven’t. There have been some real uglies. If we lose in single digits I’d say we got through the 2 tough road games “in tact”…

I for one was shocked that Purdue lost to Huggy’s Mountaineers. If there is one team in the Big 10 that plays a Big East style of game it’s Purdue. Purdue is the one team that scares the he-double hockey sticks out of me. Johnson is a freak of nature: big, quick, athletic. And Moore is shifty and just plain good. So we take them out and Ryan Smith who was averaging about 6 ppg goes off for 20. So it was pick your poison and we chose arsenic.

Although I think the team could play with anybody in the Big 10, Purdue is the one team that I don’t like the matchups we have. That being said, I think the Boilers did not get our A game at the BJC and from what I read after the OSU our guys did not take solace in a 3 point loss to OSU and that they expected to win.

It is always tough to beat the same team twice in one season. E’Twaun Moore has been struggling. I wonder if we take a chance and put our defensive focus on Johnson and Smith. It really could be risky to do that, but sometimes you have to take risks to win games like this.

Penn State Basketball: Next Game Primer with Coach Preston - at Purdue

I feel like we’ll have to get lucky to beat Purdue

Lunardi pre-Purdue has us in the next 4 out category in his bracketology. We’re getting close. I expect a close game vs Purdue.

Every year there is a big conference team that has the big wins but you look at their record and you go “yuck”. Penn State is going to be one of those teams this year. Even if they go 10-8 in conference (17-12 overall pre BTT), that 12, which will end up being a 13, will stick out.

That’s why games like tonight’s are difference makers. When the committee sits down and pours over resumes, PSU better have a big road win over one or two of the top six in conference. Still have Minny, Wisconsin, Illinois and MSU to go, but a win in West Lafayette would really keep the PSU love flowing within the media and specifically with the talking heads at ESPN.

Another close loss might keep status quo, but eventually this team needs to break through the ice.

We played them well there last year, save for the early second half dip.

I think you’re correct, but AJ needs to be at the high post. If so, maybe JJ can’t help on the drives as easily. If AJ is 8’ to 10’ from the basket, facing it as he often does, JJ will stop anything from the guards driving. Yes, they can kick to AJ, but I wouldn’t want to rely on AJ making 10’ shots to win this one. Get JJ away by making AJ play the high post. Yes, he won’t be as comfortable if he receives the ball there, but IMO, this should be done to draw JJ away, not make it easier for AJ, but easier for anyone else, including the forwards, to drive. We should’ve done this vs. OSU. With AJ playing where he does, it allows opposing centers to help on D too much. IMO, he needs to either low post and go at JJ(which would help open the arc), or high post and draw him away. Not in between.

[quote="bballguy, post:12, topic:1794"]Lunardi pre-Purdue has us in the next 4 out category in his bracketology. We're getting close. I expect a close game vs Purdue.[/quote]

We played them well there last year, save for the early second half dip.

Our first game against them this year was pretty bad. I remember thinking that Purdue was just better, period. They had a lead early, and was never threatened.

Hopefully, there is something that ‘clicked’ in this team since. Otherwise, judging from the last gaem, this one is unwinnable.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:15, topic:1794”]Our first game against them this year was pretty bad. I remember thinking that Purdue was just better, period. They had a lead early, and was never threatened.

Hopefully, there is something that ‘clicked’ in this team since. Otherwise, judging from the last gaem, this one is unwinnable.[/quote]

I’m with you. And I thought we were playing hard. Just couldn’t seem to make any headway.

You do get the feeling this team is going to break through the ice soon. They come so close that at some point we are going to get a really big win. The more I see this team play the more I think we’re going to have a nice long season.

Ugh, I can only catch the first half of this one. Hopefully at 5:30 tomorrow morning I accidentally wake the roommate up and wear one of my Penn State ties to work.