PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

PSU Volleyball

Women’s Volleyball Ranked No. 1 in Preseason Poll

2014-2015 SCHEDULE

[quote=“CAPPY, post:1, topic:4229”]Women’s Volleyball Ranked No. 1 in Preseason Poll

2014-2015 SCHEDULE[/quote]

“. . . Aside from that, the Nittany Lions will feature a primarily young squad with eight freshmen.”

What went unmentioned is that those eight freshman have the following honors: FIVE first team All-Americans, FOUR Gatorade State Players of the Year (including one 3-time player of the year and one 2-time player of the year), and ONE National Player of the Year.

To put it in perspective, the rest of our returnees honors are: THREE first team All-Americans and FOUR Gatorade State Players of the Year, with the highest ranked recruit being fourth in the nation.

The freshman class is probably Russ’s highest ranked ever. Of course, they’ll have a long way to go to prove themselves on the court as the best class ever.

[quote=“CAPPY, post:1, topic:4229”]Women’s Volleyball Ranked No. 1 in Preseason Poll

2014-2015 SCHEDULE[/quote]

As per the article…

Wisconsin, the only other Big Ten team to receive first place votes with eight, will begin the season[b] ranked No. 6[/b]. Fellow Big Ten members Nebraska and Purdue followed the Badgers, at [b]No.’s 6[/b] and 7, respectively.

So, Wiscy is #6, followed by Neb and Purdue at #6 and #7? How can one team at #6 be behind another team at #6 !?!?!

They cannot be tied, or Purdue would be #8, not #7. :-[

Six Championships in Eight Years? 2014 Women’s Volleyball Preview

Nebraska’s football team is playing a HUGE game at Michigan State Saturday night.

That Nebraska crowd is going to be INSANE !!!

PSU gals match @ Nebraska will air live on the BTN Friday 10-3 at 8 pm.

Nebraska’s football team is playing a HUGE game at Michigan State Saturday night.

I would think that the crowd may be smaller/tamer due to the football team playing that night.
[quote="CAPPY"]PSU gals match @ Nebraska will air live on the BTN Friday 10-3 at 8 pm.[/quote]

I would think that the crowd may be smaller/tamer due to the football team playing that night.

The volleyball game is Friday night. The football game is Saturday night.

[quote="CAPPY"]PSU gals match @ Nebraska will air live on the BTN Friday 10-3 at 8 pm.[/quote]

The volleyball game is Friday night. The football game is Saturday night.

They always fill the joint against us (and everyone else) I’m not sure they can get any more jacked than they usually are. Nebraska probably has the best atmosphere for collegiate women’s volleyball in the country - and they go nuts when they play us, so I don’t think it will make much difference.

We’ve posted a pre-Nebraska match Q&A with Club Coach and Talking Head at DigNittanyVolleyball.com. Here’s a link, followed by an excerpt: http://www.dignittanyvolleyball.com/penn-state-vs-nebraska-q-a-with-club-coach-and-talking-head/

DigNittany: Nebraska, which finished 26-7 in 2013 and made it to the NCAA Regional Final – entered the season ranked #7 in the preseason AVCA Coaches’ poll and #2 in the B1G coaches’ preseason poll. After 11 matches this season, Nebraska stands at 8-3 (2-0 in the B1G). Although all three losses were at the Devaney Center, all of them also were against AVCA Top-5 ranked teams: #5 Florida State 1-3 on August 29th, #1 Stanford 0-3 on August 31st, and #2 Texas 2-3 on September 20th. That’s a Murderer’s Row in anyone’s book.

Still, although Nebraska only lost one starter from its 2013 team, that one starter – 6-2 OH Kelsey Robinson – was an AVCA 1st Team All-American and the 2013 Big Ten Player of the Year. There are lots of theories as to why Nebraska has failed to pull off the big win so far. In your view, is it that Nebraska has been underperforming, or did they just run into three really good teams who all played well against them? And, Part 2 of that question, is there one area on which Nebraska needs to focus and show improvement if they’re going to break into the “W” column against a Top-5 team?

Club Coach: There may be as many as five teams in the current top ten who would be 8-3 at this point with Nebraska’s schedule. With losses to the #1, #2, and #6 ranked teams, Nebraska’s record is significantly a function of their schedule. Having said that, I don’t think Nebraska has played as well as they expected. Their setting hasn’t been up to par, and they have struggled to kill the ball, which is a function of attackers underperforming combined with inconsistent setting. They are very well coached, have gotten better, and will continue to do so. A win vs Penn State will make those three losses a distant memory, but that is far easier said than done.

Talking Head: The often-heard key to beating Nebraska last year was to focus on Robinson and try and slow her down, on the theory that the Huskers then became one dimensional. Looking at the three losses that Nebraska has this year, it must be understood that these are indeed all top tier teams. So a loss to these top teams is not a bad loss. With that being said, it seems the one constant in all three matches was the poor production of the Rolfzen twins.

Which raises the question, is the key to beating the 2014 Nebraska team to slow down, negate or concentrate primarily on those two? Are they the key to this team’s success, like Robinson was the year before? I would argue yes, as I am not sure Nebraska has the arms elsewhere to carry the load offensively.

Micha Hancock is such an awesome athlete.

Here’s a picture perfect play (in slo-mo) from last night as Michigan state mishandles her powerful serve.

Look how everyone is charging the net as Micha prepares to set the ball. She has all four options available.

It all starts with her wicked serve.

Picture Perfect Play

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-volley/recaps/121214aaa.html

PSU vs. Wiscy today at 4 pm on ESPNU.

[quote=“CAPPY, post:11, topic:4229”]http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-volley/recaps/121214aaa.html

PSU vs. Wiscy today at 4 pm on ESPNU.[/quote]

…or as PSU put it…

Penn State is set two meet No. 4 Wisconsin in the round of eight Saturday, Dec. 13 at 4 p.m. ET in Louisville. The matchup will broadcast live on ESPNU.

Women’s Volleyball (@TDC_WVolleyball)
12/13/14, 6:09 PM
Penn State takes the set 25-19 and the match 4-1. The Lions are headed to the final four for their third consecutive year.

Women's Volleyball (@TDC_WVolleyball)

12/13/14, 6:10 PM
Penn State has advanced to the final four in seven out of the last eight seasons.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-volley/recaps/121314aac.html

[quote=“CAPPY, post:13, topic:4229”]Women’s Volleyball (@TDC_WVolleyball)
12/13/14, 6:09 PM
Penn State takes the set 25-19 and the match 4-1. The Lions are headed to the final four for their third consecutive year.

Women's Volleyball (@TDC_WVolleyball)

12/13/14, 6:10 PM
Penn State has advanced to the final four in seven out of the last eight seasons.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-volley/recaps/121314aac.html[/quote]

Penn State and Wisconsin were very evenly matched. Micha Hancock provided the difference. She’s stunningly good. She’ll be heading home to Oklahoma for the Final Four this week. I like our chances.

Thursday

7:00 ET on ESPN2
BYU vs Texas

9:30 ET on ESPN2
Stanford vs PSU

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/volleyball/ncaa-women-s-volleyball-final-four-primer/article_1743f46a-2f64-5cab-853a-05e6aa694ff1.html

Onward State (@OnwardState)
12/18/14, 11:50 PM
PENN STATE VOLLEYBALL IS GOING BACK TO THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! The Lions beat Stanford 3-1 and will play BYU for a second straight title!

:+1:

Seemed to me that the Stanford/PSU match was for the national title. BYU is a nice story, but if Penn State plays its game, they’ll have their 7th title.

Saturday 7:30 on ESPN2.

Kind of surprised that this thread hasn’t gotten more play out of all of you.

A Penn State team sits on the brink of its sixth national title in the last eight years and all we can muster is a line from Cappy and a sentence from yours truly about a very exciting semifinal match last night.

Is it the fact that it’s women playing a sport that just doesn’t get you excited? I’ll tell you something…for anyone who is a die-hard Blue and White fan, what Russ Rose and this team of Lady Lions is doing is UCLA/Wooden worthy.

This is not fencing or chess…this is a legitimate sport played at a ridiculous high level of competition that is much more exciting than watching Hackenburg get sacked time and again by a crappy Illini defense or Penn State squeak on by a crappy Marshall team.

Yes, it’s a Penn State Hoops board…I get that. But I also have known many a folk on here to bleed Blue and White for many other sports.

With all that said, I’ll be at a couple parties on Saturday night and will have to tune in the title match after midnight…but I hope others on here will take an interest and share their thoughts during what I believe will be title number seven. For We Are…(oh, I’ve always hated that chant :smiley: )

[quote=“NittanyILL, post:17, topic:4229”]Kind of surprised that this thread hasn’t gotten more play out of all of you.

A Penn State team sits on the brink of its sixth national title in the last eight years and all we can muster is a line from Cappy and a sentence from yours truly about a very exciting semifinal match last night.

Is it the fact that it’s women playing a sport that just doesn’t get you excited? I’ll tell you something…for anyone who is a die-hard Blue and White fan, what Russ Rose and this team of Lady Lions is doing is UCLA/Wooden worthy.

This is not fencing or chess…this is a legitimate sport played at a ridiculous high level of competition that is much more exciting than watching Hackenburg get sacked time and again by a crappy Illini defense or Penn State squeak on by a crappy Marshall team.

Yes, it’s a Penn State Hoops board…I get that. But I also have known many a folk on here to bleed Blue and White for many other sports.

With all that said, I’ll be at a couple parties on Saturday night and will have to tune in the title match after midnight…but I hope others on here will take an interest and share their thoughts during what I believe will be title number seven. For We Are…(oh, I’ve always hated that chant :smiley: )[/quote]

The match was on too late for me to watch. I checked twitter as soon as I woke up to see who won. It’s great that we won, but I don’t know enough about it to really sit here and type up a comment. I will just say that it’s not done unless we finish of BYU on Saturday. Seems like everyone assumes last night against Stanford was the National Championship match. But BYU, unseeded or not, knocked of the #2 seed. So they are legitimate and can beat us if we don’t bring our A game and A attitude (had to slip in a hoops reference) to the match.

I usually will tune in when they make it this far, which is pretty often lately. But I completely forgot the game was on last night, even though i heard it mentioned like 4 times throughout the last 2 days.

Incredible run they’re on though, one of the most remarkable in sports that I can remember.

Visiting at my daughters house, and had it recorded and watched all 4 sets late last night. Great match, thought Megan Courtney had her a career (from what I have seen) best game.
Agree that the athleticism these lady athletes demonstrate is at the very highest levels. With the freshman class we have, the next few years of continuing this dynasty are well positioned.
BYU is a big surprise and the first unseeded team to ever make it this far. Look forward to Saturday’s match.