Psu @ osu

Nittany Lions Take On No. 13 Buckeyes In Columbus Wednesday

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/020210aaa.html

PSU game notes

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release.pdf

Penn State Up Next for Buckeyes

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87813&SPID=10421&DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=204879228

OSU game notes

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf4/668621.pdf?ATCLID=204879228&SPSID=87813&SPID=10421&DB_OEM_ID=17300

PSU hoping to force issue at Ohio State by Jeff Rice

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/story/1769135.html

Turner brings potency to Buckeyes offense

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/02/03/turner_brings_potency_to_bucke.aspx

New role lets Woodyard mimic opponents’ best

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/02/03/new_role_lets_woodyard_mimic_o.aspx

I see Oliver is out for the season in one of the articles.

IMO, what Ed should do going forward is to start Frazier, Battle, Babb & Edwards and somebody esle, who I don’t know. I saw something last game I hadn’t seen or noticed before. This team’s edge over Big 10 opponents, if there is one, is speed at guard. With Frazier and Battle in, teams are going to have trouble pressing, trapping and doubling any of the guards, esp since Frazier’s at the 1. It completely changes the way defenses play vs. PSU. Tim Doyle has it right, “send 1, 2, 3 players at Battle and you beat PSU.” Well, if he doesn’t have the ball, you can’t do that. IMO, if Ed recognizes this, the team will compete better. I love inside play, but I just don’t think PSU has the horses to do this, yet 3 guards will make bigger players more open.

Playing Frazier is key. He doesn’t need points, but my bet is that he will get more comfortable scoring with more court time. That article the other day about Jay Wright is dead on. You have to let younger players make mistakes. If juniors and seniors keep making them, sit them down(and they’re making them). Playing Frazier also will allow Babb better looks, as teams 1st have to be concerned with the ball(in Frazier’s hands) then Battle, so Babb will be more open. Haven’t really looked at the matchups for tonight, but I’d like to see PSU use this quicker team if possible. Playing 17+ minutes together, the score in the Purdue game was 25-23 PSU when both in. Probably DJ and Babb have to play vs. Turner.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:3, topic:783”]I see Oliver is out for the season in one of the articles.

IMO, what Ed should do going forward is to start Frazier, Battle, Babb & Edwards and somebody esle, who I don’t know. I saw something last game I hadn’t seen or noticed before. This team’s edge over Big 10 opponents, if there is one, is speed at guard. With Frazier and Battle in, teams are going to have trouble pressing, trapping and doubling any of the guards, esp since Frazier’s at the 1. It completely changes the way defenses play vs. PSU. Tim Doyle has it right, “send 1, 2, 3 players at Battle and you beat PSU.” Well, if he doesn’t have the ball, you can’t do that. IMO, if Ed recognizes this, the team will compete better. I love inside play, but I just don’t think PSU has the horses to do this, yet 3 guards will make bigger players more open.

Playing Frazier is key. He doesn’t need points, but my bet is that he will get more comfortable scoring with more court time. That article the other day about Jay Wright is dead on. You have to let younger players make mistakes. If juniors and seniors keep making them, sit them down(and they’re making them). Playing Frazier also will allow Babb better looks, as teams 1st have to be concerned with the ball(in Frazier’s hands) then Battle, so Babb will be more open. Haven’t really looked at the matchups for tonight, but I’d like to see PSU use this quicker team if possible. Playing 17+ minutes together, the score in the Purdue game was 25-23 PSU when both in. Probably DJ and Babb have to play vs. Turner.[/quote]

Agreed that the lineup is worth a shot at times. However, I’m skeptical of the Purdue numbers b/c of what I said earlier - i.e. the game was out of hand in the second half when Frazier re-entered. Agreed that Battle off the ball may give him more open looks, however, he looked disinterested lasst game as off guard…

[quote="kidcoyote, post:3, topic:783"]I see Oliver is out for the season in one of the articles.

Playing Frazier is key. He doesn’t need points, but my bet is that he will get more comfortable scoring with more court time. That article the other day about Jay Wright is dead on. You have to let younger players make mistakes. If juniors and seniors keep making them, sit them down(and they’re making them). Playing Frazier also will allow Babb better looks, as teams 1st have to be concerned with the ball(in Frazier’s hands) then Battle, so Babb will be more open. Haven’t really looked at the matchups for tonight, but I’d like to see PSU use this quicker team if possible. Playing 17+ minutes together, the score in the Purdue game was 25-23 PSU when both in. Probably DJ and Babb have to play vs. Turner.[/quote]

Agreed that the lineup is worth a shot at times. However, I’m skeptical of the Purdue numbers b/c of what I said earlier - i.e. the game was out of hand in the second half when Frazier re-entered. Agreed that Battle off the ball may give him more open looks, however, he looked disinterested lasst game as off guard…

Dis-interested? Battle had 10 points in 17 minutes playing with Frazier, 3 while playing 15 minutes without. Did you miss the 3 baseline runs he made playing with Frazier? How’s that dis-interested? Yes, game was out of hand, but you assume it would have been with Frazier in. I don’t think it can be assumed either way. IMO, guard speed is the only edge we have. OSU usually starts Turner, Diebler, Buford, Lighty and Lauderdale, kind of a short team at the high end, but tall average height. Their guards are 6’5", 6’5" and 6’6". Turner’s 6’7" and Lauderdale is 6’8". Tough matchup with small lineup, as not sure who Battle and Frazier cover. Might have to play zone, but this will help beat OSU down the court. Maybe this small lineup doesn’t work vs. OSU, unless Babb plays the 3 in a 2-1-2 zone, otherwise OSU will post up all day due to height advantages at the guard spots. This way, Battle and Frazier can break, and defend on the 3 attempts. Diebler is a killer on 3’s, and likes the corner shot. Maybe Babb, Edwards and DJ split the forward positions, with Brooks in last. Babb playing some at the 2 to give some rest to Frazier and/or Battle.

We should break, get it inside to Ott/Jones, and play zone with our quickest guys out front. Have to get it inside in the halfcourt, otherwise we’ll get lousy 3 looks, unless in transition. We need some break points though to have any chance, IMO.

Against just about everyone - that lineup is going to get manhandled inside. We got away with it against Purdue because their only “big” guy - Johnson - is rail thin. Of course, at this point it is time try some drastic measures, so what the heck…