PSU-NW post game thoughts & comments

1. Brooks doesn’t need a coach, I think he needs a psychiatrist. When he plays against NW or other teams where he knows he can out athlete the guy guarding him, he goes crazy. As soon as somebody mans up against him with similar size and athleticism, he disappears. Can only hope somehow some light bulb goes off in his head and he has a Cline-heard type jump his senior year. He has some real raw skills, but at some point, the ‘potential’ thing ends and he is what he is.

2. When Babb hits his first couple of shots, he is a different player. Only wish that this new found confidence had happened about 10 games earlier.

3. Jones should never have a specific play actually called for him. He is just bad when he gets the ball with his back to the basket. All of his points should come on put backs and when he gets the ball because somebody else broke down there guy or a great pass and he has an open shot.

4. Why didn’t Frazier play more in the second half. PSU is up 20 points with 10 minutes to go and Battle is still playing. Get in Frazier and let him run the team for the rest of the game. If NW scores a couple of quick three’s and PSU looks lost on defense, then Ed can call a TO, stop momentum and put Battle back in.

5. I see Woodyard play today and I still say that PSU has to rotate more guys and play with a whole lot more energy. The difference between Woodyard and Babb and Brooks and DJ and Jones and Ott and Edwards and Frazier, is just not that much. The PSU offense should have more motion and defense more intensity and rotate guys in every 3-4 minutes to keep them fresh. If somebody is hot, they stay in, but PSU has enough bench where they could have a shot a wearing some teams down if they played the right type of game.

6. I still think Sasa should get more minutes. When he is on the court, the offense runs smoother. He knows spacing and where he has to be on the court at all times on offense. He doesn’t draw his defender to people when they drive, he finds the open spot for the pass. He is constantly moving. He just makes the offense run better. When the opposing team substitutes and has in a bench 4/5 player (making the assumption that the bench 4/5 doesn’t have much of an offensive game because Sasa is going to have trouble on D), Sasa should get in the game.

7. I am interested to see what PSU does these last two games. They have tended to play MSU tough over the past couple of years and Purdue has lost Hummel, so is it possible to steal one win? I at least want to see very competitive games for both of them. This season is obviously a disaster, but PSU can win one of two, and then maybe win the play in game of the Big Ten tourney and pull an upset in round two, at least gives a little momentum into the offseason.

Just wanted to add some props for a great all-around game by Chris Babb. Check out his stat line:

14 points on 4/5 from 3. Also, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, and 0 turnovers

When was the last time a player had 3 blocks in a game?

Cletus, I disagree with #5. I applaud Camm for the way he played today, but in the previous B10 games he played he hasn’t been able to hit water if he fell out of a boat. Again, Camm played a great game really hope he keeps the momentum going.

I disagree on Sasa. He scored within the zone offense, off of good looks from passers. He just benefited from it. Defensively he was beaten several times and showed limited fight on post defense. Woodyard played because of the zone. period. Let’s not annoint these two off of a victory over Northwestern.

I agree to basically all Cletus. On Sasa, not sure why he didn’t play more. He did get beat on D, but so do other guys. He scores 5 points, then Ed takes him out.

Think you nailed Brooks too.

Remember we were playing Northwestern.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:4, topic:896”]Cletus, I disagree with #5. I applaud Camm for the way he played today, but in the previous B10 games he played he hasn’t been able to hit water if he fell out of a boat. Again, Camm played a great game really hope he keeps the momentum going.[/quote]In Cam’s defense I don’t think Ed has given him enough run to gain any kind of confidence. A min here and there won’t help you find your shooting touch.

Steve Jones said that both Cam and Sasa have started to perform much better in practice the last few weeks. Apparently, to earn PT, you have to perform well in practice. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes - this was NW. But this NW team is more athletic than previous NW teams. This NW team doesn’t hold the ball for 30 seconds and then run five backdoor cuts. This NW team beat ND, NC St, Purdue, Illinois and Minny this year and has 18 wins.

OK, so we’re living through a better late than never situation with this team this season.

The guys played their most complete game of the season and by that I mean that they got positive contributions from almost everyone who touched the ball.

One day removed from watching my “other team” sleepwalk through a home game…a game they should have walked over a Nolen-less Gopher squad had they just played the first 35 minutes like the last 5…I get to see a much more inspired effort from a team that sits 7 games behind that team clad in orange in the standings.

Are the Nits better than those 10-6 Illini? Well as our old friend “fanofpsu” says, “you are what your record says you are”…or was that Dennis Green who said something to that effect. (Somewhere Bill Carmody is mumbling “and we let em off the hook” in his sleep.)

PSU is obviously better than their record suggests, and if I’m Minnesota or Illinois or even NW or Michigan, I’m hoping I don’t see the Nittany blue and white in the first round of the Big Ten tourney. Because from my vantage point, PSU is playing like the fifth or sixth best team in the conference right now and could very well give some of the big boys of the conference a run for their money in a one game situation. (OK, the “big boys” who don’t wear red).

[quote=“Great Santini, post:9, topic:896”]Steve Jones said that both Cam and Sasa have started to perform much better in practice the last few weeks. Apparently, to earn PT, you have to perform well in practice. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes - this was NW. But this NW team is more athletic than previous NW teams. This NW team doesn’t hold the ball for 30 seconds and then run five backdoor cuts. This NW team beat ND, NC St, Purdue, Illinois and Minny this year and has 18 wins.[/quote]

Good point about the prior NW wins. Some nice wins. They just seem so hard to believe due to the way they played against us. They still have the weakest, skinniest white guys I have every seen. Remember the old Jack LaLanne ads. These would the guys getting sand kicked in their face. Remember we had 7 blocks!!

#1 on on the list is the most telling. If Brooks can get his head screwed on straight PSU is much better. He really may the key to this team’s success. At one point during yesterday’s game Ed took him out and he came to the bench and pouted. One other player on the bench, don’t remember who, seated beside him tried to talk to him and turned away. He hadn’t done anything wrong, it was just a rest substitution. I understand he was playing well and probably didn’t want to come out, but that just sums him up to me. One other time he came out and went all the way down the bench to the last manager slapping hands. IMO one of the assistants should be with him as soon as he comes to the bench just to work on his psyche.

The middle of the league (Minny,Illi,NW and Mecheatem) are quite vulnerable. Maybe because they are not very good. I agree that we have a good chance if we draw one of them in the 1st round.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:10, topic:896”] Because from my vantage point, PSU is playing like the fifth or sixth best team in the conference right now and could very well give some of the big boys of the conference a run for their money in a one game situation. (OK, the “big boys” who don’t wear red).[/quote]Wow our 3rd win gives you that much confidence!! :o . I need some of what you are taking. I will agree that was PSU’s most complete game of the season but unfortunately we won’t be seeing NW in the B10 tourney.

???

One would think reading the board about 2 weeks ago, that NW is really good, and Bill Carmody is awesome.

Don’t mean to call you out specifically Tundra, I’m just tired of the fickle nature of sports.

[quote="tundra, post:7, topic:896"]Remember we were playing Northwestern.[/quote]

???

One would think reading the board about 2 weeks ago, that NW is really good, and Bill Carmody is awesome.

Don’t mean to call you out specifically Tundra, I’m just tired of the fickle nature of sports.

We do seem to have their # for whatever reason. In fairness to them they are missing 2 big pieces in Coble and Ryan . They still have a shot at a 20 win season with some nice wins.

[quote="tundra, post:7, topic:896"]Remember we were playing Northwestern.[/quote]

???

Good point. The Carmody love fest was strong. I think it’s human nature for many to think that the coach’s who play “funny/unusual offenses” and have players who do not look like ( skinny weak white guys) quality players are judged as "excellent coaches. Carmody is 48-110 in Big Ten. One tied for 5th and one 7th. The rest are lower finishes.
In years past Vandy and Princeton were always said to “out coach” other teams.

???

Good point. The Carmody love fest was strong. I think it’s human nature for many to think that the coach’s who play “funny/unusual offenses” and have players who do not look like ( skinny weak white guys) quality players are judged as "excellent coaches. Carmody is 48-110 in Big Ten. One tied for 5th and one 7th. The rest are lower finishes.
In years past Vandy and Princeton were always said to “out coach” other teams.

I think it was more because his teams run an actual offense and for a majority of the year Ed’s team has run the dribble hand off chuck n duck O.

Remember we were playing Northwestern.

???

Yes, it’s fickle, but as one who was a cheerleader for Carmody, I’ll stick to that. They have 7 conference wins. Yes, we seem to have their number, and they did look awful the other day, but they have 7 wins. Would you rather have their record, or ours? Yes, it’s better to be peaking late than early, but not so late that you’re the worst team in the conference and lose your 1st 12.

Besides their games vs. PSU, I’ve seen two complete games of theirs, MSU, where they got blown out, and Minny, where they won. In the latter, sans Nolen, they were smart enough to press Minny late, and despite being down 13 at the 8 minute mark, won that game, helped in great part by several Minny TO’s brought on by the press. In our second loss, we didn’t press at the 8 minute mark. Sorry, but NW was more prepared for this season.

In recent games, I’m scratching my head at Ed’s substitutions. Beilein mentions Frazier, then he hardly plays vs. OSU; Sasa comes in vs. NW, scores 5 quick points, then goes to the bench; Cam looks great, scores 9, then sits; Battle plays way too many minutes vs. Frazier in NW game with 36 vs. Tim’s 11. Tim shot 4-4 and had 9 points. Sasa played 9 minutes. Those 3 had 23 points in 32 minutes.

Yes, I’d take Carmody in a minute. He wins games he shouldn’t win. We don’t, not this year, at least not yet. Ed took 12 conf losses to figure something out. After so many seasons, and having most of these players for a bit, it’s incomprehensible how badly they played during OOC and the 1st 12. Okay, if we win the BTT, I’ll eat my hat, but getting yourself into this position is just awful.

Looking ahead to next season, I’d put Jones as the #1 key to the success, and Brooks as #2. Between the two of them, we really need one to make the “leap” and give us both another scoring option and better interior defense.