PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

PSU Hoops on the BTN

Set your DVR’s now…both games are Student U productions and are tape delayed:

Monday, November 8 3:00PM 4:00PM ET East Stroudsburg vs Penn State

Sunday, November 14 9:00PM 10:00PM ET Lehigh vs Penn State

Enjoy :slight_smile:

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/subindex/programming

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:1, topic:1444”]Set your DVR’s now…both games are Student U productions and are tape delayed:

Monday, November 8 3:00PM ET East Stroudsburg vs Penn State

Sunday, November 14 9:00PM ET Lehigh vs Penn State

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/subindex/programming[/quote]

FYI … I just looked them up on DirecTV, and they both show up an hour later there:

Monday, November 8 4:00PM ET East Stroudsburg vs Penn State

Sunday, November 14 10:00PM ET Lehigh vs Penn State

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:1, topic:1444"]Set your DVR's now...both games are Student U productions and are tape delayed:

Monday, November 8 3:00PM ET East Stroudsburg vs Penn State

Sunday, November 14 9:00PM ET Lehigh vs Penn State

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/subindex/programming[/quote]

FYI … I just looked them up on DirecTV, and they both show up an hour later there:

Monday, November 8 4:00PM ET East Stroudsburg vs Penn State

Sunday, November 14 10:00PM ET Lehigh vs Penn State

That’s weird, blue. On the BTN site, it clearly states “All Times ET”. I guess we’ll have to check that day. Maybe it’s one of those daylight savings things, since we do turn the clocks back this weekend. Who knows.

I just set my recordings via Comcast in Pgh. Both say the later times (4:00 and 10:00.)

As does TiVo.

4:00 and 10:00 on my ATT Uverse as well.

I’ll change it above…and keep tabs on it as well.

To watch the exhibition on TV is amazing, no matter what time it airs. No complaints here.

Gees, its just now really hitting me how close we are to the start of the season!

tell me about it! I just watched purdue vs Indianapolis and later tonight, the Indiana game is on! I’m so pumped!

I agree that the ability to watch an exhibition game on TV (in beautiful High-Definition, no less), is just awesome!

One interesting side effect, though. I am going up to PSU for the weekend with some friends that are not basketball fans. I was thinking about trying to convince them that we should stay around on Sunday for the exhibition game, but since it is going to be on TV, I’m not going to bother. I’ll just watch it on TV on Monday (ok, maybe I’ll record it and watch it on Tuesday - the Steelers are playing in the MNF game).

Since the State College area does not have a large number of people and a lot of the fan base lives several hours away, the BigTen Network probably has an unintended negative consequence of reducing the attendance at the BJC for certain games. Not that I’m complaining, mind you, just thought that was interesting.

[quote="noobd, post:8, topic:1444"]To watch the exhibition on TV is amazing, no matter what time it airs. No complaints here.[/quote]

I agree that the ability to watch an exhibition game on TV (in beautiful High-Definition, no less), is just awesome!

One interesting side effect, though. I am going up to PSU for the weekend with some friends that are not basketball fans. I was thinking about trying to convince them that we should stay around on Sunday for the exhibition game, but since it is going to be on TV, I’m not going to bother. I’ll just watch it on TV on Monday (ok, maybe I’ll record it and watch it on Tuesday - the Steelers are playing in the MNF game).

Since the State College area does not have a large number of people and a lot of the fan base lives several hours away, the BigTen Network probably has an unintended negative consequence of reducing the attendance at the BJC for certain games. Not that I’m complaining, mind you, just thought that was interesting.

What about the 43,000+ mostly within walking distance. :slight_smile:

[quote="noobd, post:8, topic:1444"]To watch the exhibition on TV is amazing, no matter what time it airs. No complaints here.[/quote]

What about the 43,000+ mostly within walking distance. :slight_smile:

Yeah, we definitely need a good turnout from them!

Good point blue2blue. I don’t know the details, but I heard on a forum, that in England, they don’t air certain games on TV in order to get more butts in the seats (were talking about soccer). Its a very interesting marketing plan, if you want to call it that. It would probably be a lot more effective 10-20 years ago due to the internet… This plan can also turn away potential fans since games aren’t on TV, but I’m pretty sure the market for soccer in England is so well known, you don’t have to market the EPL at all. Not so much for college hoops in Central PA (not saying you advocate this plan).

The NFL does this too. They blackout games in local markets if they’re not sold out.

Really? I’ve always been in the Giants market, and I don’t remember any games being blacked out. I guess they sell out every time?

Many, if not most, NFL teams (including the Giants) sell out their games on a season ticket basis, so their games are never blocked out. However, there have been more non-sellouts recently which has put pressure on the NFL to lift their blackout policy. While they have yet to do so, the NFL has compromised a bit and does put up their non-sellouts on NFL.com at midnight on the day of the game.

[quote="noobd, post:16, topic:1444"]Really? I've always been in the Giants market, and I don't remember any games being blacked out. I guess they sell out every time?[/quote]

Many, if not most, NFL teams (including the Giants) sell out their games on a season ticket basis, so their games are never blocked out. However, there have been more non-sellouts recently which has put pressure on the NFL to lift their blackout policy. While they have yet to do so, the NFL has compromised a bit and does put up their non-sellouts on NFL.com at midnight on the day of the game.

A couple of seasons ago, the Detroit Lions only win was during a blackout game.

bump

And, BTN lists the scrimmage as being aired right now, but instead they have a college hockey game (that just started at 4). Good job, BTN.