PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

PSU Hoops - least desirable coaching job in the B1G

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/59881/ranking-the-coaching-jobs-big-ten

Discuss

A panel of “our writers and television analysts”.

Ahem.

I’m not a Kool-Aid drinker, but I’d be interested in what coaches believe.

Typical ESPN, all they did was cut and paste a paragraph from just before (or after) Chambers getting hired. The least they could have done is had an updated comment from Dana. I’m sure she has something different to say since she knows Chambers and what his potential is.

That doesn’t necessarily change her perception of the job, which was the question: “This is not an attempt to rank the programs or their histories. A school’s tradition was taken into account of course, but more emphasis was given to recent years and how hard or easy it is for a new coach to win there.”

My coach is on the floor.

I’m sure they would point out the history of our last 3 coaches

Dechellis left for the Patriot League after his most successful season.
Dunn fired after twice failing to capitalize on NCAA teams.
Parkhill ‘retired’ because of the pressure and took an assistant position at Ohio State.

Though I have no idea how Northwestern isn’t 12.

[quote="byake, post:3, topic:3310"]Typical ESPN, all they did was cut and paste a paragraph from just before (or after) Chambers getting hired. The least they could have done is had an updated comment from Dana. I'm sure she has something different to say since she knows Chambers and what his potential is.[/quote]

That doesn’t necessarily change her perception of the job, which was the question: “This is not an attempt to rank the programs or their histories. A school’s tradition was taken into account of course, but more emphasis was given to recent years and how hard or easy it is for a new coach to win there.”

True but when she wrote that it was in reference to Penn State’s hiring woes and lack of administrative support prior to Chambers’ hiring. After his hire she changed her tune if only slightly lauding Chambers background and the respect he’s earned in Philly.

You may be right and Dana said use her prior comment but the outlook of the program is different from when she wrote that. Not to at least have a little blurb about Chambers trying to change the perception or adding something new is just lazy.

[quote="byake, post:3, topic:3310"]Typical ESPN, all they did was cut and paste a paragraph from just before (or after) Chambers getting hired. The least they could have done is had an updated comment from Dana. I'm sure she has something different to say since she knows Chambers and what his potential is.[/quote]

True but when she wrote that it was in reference to Penn State’s hiring woes and lack of administrative support prior to Chambers’ hiring. After his hire she changed her tune if only slightly lauding Chambers background and the respect he’s earned in Philly.

You may be right and Dana said use her prior comment but the outlook of the program is different from when she wrote that. Not to at least have a little blurb about Chambers trying to change the perception or adding something new is just lazy.

She was very enthusiastic about the Chambers hire but still wanted more signs that the administration was going to toss their full support behind him.

We need to figure out how to increase attendance. I know it’s always been a chicken/egg thing but it seems as bad now as it has ever been. I’m hopeful that the uptick in recruiting will generate more excitement. Chambers is clearly frustrated by the lack of support and, if it continues, he won’t stick around. Then, IMHO, we are stuck in our abyss for the rest of my life.

They didn’t have anything positive to say about our program :frowning:

I have faith that Coach Chambers is going to turn this job into a desirable one. My thinking is that his 2013 class is what will turn things around. We just need to get the good in-state players to believe in the program and we’re set.

Of PSU fans have proven anything, it’s that they’ll show up for a winner. Pat keeps bringing in kids who can play, the fannies will be in the seats, don’t worry…

How can a job that pays about a million a year with low expections and very good job security be a least desirable job???

I think, PSU may be the MOST desirable job!!!

[quote=“tundra, post:13, topic:3310”]How can a job that pays about a million a year with low expections and very good job security be a least desirable job???

I think, PSU may be the MOST desirable job!!![/quote]

Good point!

[quote=“tundra, post:13, topic:3310”]How can a job that pays about a million a year with low expections and very good job security be a least desirable job???

I think, PSU may be the MOST desirable job!!![/quote]Agreed. Job security and a nice paycheck. They could give 2 sh*ts if you win or lose (well at least for the first 5+ years ) :wink:

[quote="tundra, post:13, topic:3310"]How can a job that pays about a million a year with low expections and very good job security be a least desirable job????????????

I think, PSU may be the MOST desirable job!!![/quote]

Good point!

Maybe…
-the other jobs pay $1 million to $2.5 million more.
-no coach at this level goes into the job expecting to fail. Their egos require the glamor of success, not job security.
-low expectations from your management (and fans) can be very disheartening.
-even if they do fail, they will get bought out and then probably land a job at a 2nd level school paying close to $1 million. So, they are still way ahead financially.

[quote="tjb, post:2, topic:3310"]I'd be interested in what coaches believe.[/quote]

Parkhill ‘retired’ because of the pressure and took an assistant position at Ohio State.

As the article says:

In short: If you were an agent and every single job was open in a particular conference, where would you direct your client? Where would you tell him to avoid if there are better options?

Carmody has been head coach at Northwestern since the year 2000, without every making a tourny appearance. Although you and Tundra like to talk about Penn State’s “low expectations”, it doesn’t match Northwestern.

Penn State has disposed of 2 coaches for lack of production while Carmody has been at Northwestern.

[quote="tjb, post:2, topic:3310"]I'd be interested in what coaches believe.[/quote]

As the article says:

In short: If you were an agent and every single job was open in a particular conference, where would you direct your client? Where would you tell him to avoid if there are better options?

Carmody has been head coach at Northwestern since the year 2000, without every making a tourny appearance. Although you and Tundra like to talk about Penn State’s “low expectations”, it doesn’t match Northwestern.

Penn State has disposed of 2 coaches for lack of production while Carmody has been at Northwestern.

Just one, after 8 years. The “other” coach left after 8 years for his dream job by his own choice.

8 years X big bucks = really big bucks. Sounds like a pretty desirable gig! :wink:
Isn’t the goal in a capitalistic society to make mucho money??? (I think, I learned that in the OT Thread)

P.S. Why do some folks worry that some/a few other coaches make more money. Don’t hundreds/thousands of coaches make MUCH less money. Close to a million a year is BIG bucks…and to have security and limited pressure = Goldmine

I read somewhere (and I would be pleased to be reminded where - perhaps it was in an email, though) that Spanier had been putting pressure on Curley to be less satisfied with OK results and less enamored with alumni in the athletic department, and that that’s part of what contributed to the significant change we’ve seen in the last half-dozen or so years.

I know that among faculty and staff it was a sore point that when a position, any position, opened up in the university proper, an extensive nationwide search was conducted but that the athletic department was seen as a glaring exception to that rule.

Tundra, I think your reasoning (and that of many others) is colored by an outdated understanding of why people make decisions. Money certainly matters, but the desire to succeed and the tools to be able to are much bigger drivers. I do think Penn State can be great at basketball. Certainly if we cut corners (looks like Larry Brown may snag Savon Goodman, by the way) it would be easy. But I think Chambers can do it.

The biggest impediment is the lack of success and the conclusions recruits draw because of that. I’ve been saying that for years, and it hasn’t changed. Chambers is a really strong candidate to change that. I don’t think marketing will. Hopefully the crowds will catch on quickly to any success he has so that he doesn’t grow disaffected and looking for greener pastures when it happens.

IF FACILITIES WERE REALLY FACTORED IN AND PERFORMANCE WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABOVE NEBRASKA AND NORTHWESTERN. IT WAS AOBUT CURRENT, NOT FUTURE FACILITIES. IF YOU FACTOR IN FUTURE, FACTOR IN RECRUITS COMMITTED. ONCE AGAIN WE ARE NOT ROCK BOTTOM.

THEN AGAIN, I COULD CARE LESS WHAT ESPN, THE WORLD WIDE LEADER IN BLUSTER THINK OF PSU ANYMORE.

PC HAD HIS BYE YEAR, ALSO NOTE THAT IT WAS A SHORT SUMMER SINCE ED QUIT LATER IN THE OFFSEASON THAN MOST WOULD HAVE QUIT. I EXPECT GREAT STRIDES THIS YEAR.