PSU hoops articles, videos, etc

Newcomers key to Lions’ success

Chambers instilling confidence in players

Men’s basketball freshmen to see time in exhibition opener

Support Group

Coaching Change Thread
G (D) League vs. Europe

Trey Burke? Nice 247.

Trey Burke has been battling with Tim Frazier since arriving on campus.

DJ Newbill hopes more Philly guards will come to Penn State

Now I know why DJ wins the “Attitude Club”, did anybody notice when he said he was an icon in Philly.

I’m a gazillion times more excited about Newbill than I was about Staten. I can’t wait to see him play and I love his confidence. My buddy is a bigtime philly hoops guy who has been giving me the business about PSU hoops for years. I sent him a text asking what he knew about Newbill and he gave him glowing reviews and said he was respected in the city and if he really was coming to PSU it was a great get.

Too bad about his shoulder but better this year than next.

Some more food for thought from our man eric17:

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2011/11/4/2537676/penn-state-basketball-frontcourt-preview-2012

Newbill is the Xfactor next season for many reasons. If has sucess it could really good things for the team and Coach Chambers in recruiting. Chambers give lots positive buzz about all the players, got be really fun and positive experience as young players. I am anxious to see what everyone season predictions will be after getting the first eyeball looks at the team and playing style.

Nittany Lions Take On Slippery Rock Saturday

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/110411aaa.html

Nittany Nation begins Chambers Era

Kudos to Jeff Rice for getting some celebrity quotes in this one :slight_smile:

[quote=“Tom, post:9, topic:2775”]Nittany Nation begins Chambers Era

Kudos to Jeff Rice for getting some celebrity quotes in this one :)[/quote]

Very cool! 8)

[quote=“Tom, post:9, topic:2775”]Nittany Nation begins Chambers Era

“The site, which creator and moderator Tim Beidel has been running, in various forms, for more than 15 years, has a core of about 500 fans, some of whom have been watching since the John Bach days.”

At least one of us has been watching since the John Egli days.

[quote="Tom, post:9, topic:2775"][url=http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/05/2975252/nittany-nation-beginning-chambers.html]Nittany Nation begins Chambers Era[/url]

“The site, which creator and moderator Tim Beidel has been running, in various forms, for more than 15 years, has a core of about 500 fans, some of whom have been watching since the John Bach days.”

Make that at least two of us.

[quote="Tom, post:9, topic:2775"][url=http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/05/2975252/nittany-nation-beginning-chambers.html]Nittany Nation begins Chambers Era[/url]

Trois!

Trois!

I wanted to go back to the right era, but wasn’t sure off the top of my head which era that was. But I was thinking of all you guys. (I only go as far back as Bach.)

GROSS and EGLI, boy does that make me a senior citizen.

I guess I go back to Bach too. But I don’t remember knowing the coach by name at the time. The first coach who I knew was Dick Harter. I remember when he was hired, so I must have been following the team at the time. As hard as it is now to find info on PSU hoops compared to other sports, imagine how hard it was back then. About the only way to follow was through magazines like The Sporting News (I’m pretty sure that’s the one) which showed the results of every game played. And I’d get to read a few paragraphs here and there in the Patriot News. That’s about it.

All-out effort: Penn State wins exhibition

Penn State Basketball: Chambers Emphasizes Hustle in Exhibition Game

Lions Roll the Rock

Didn’t get to see the game so I’m trying to piece some things together via the boxscore.

• Were Graham and Sasa ever on the court together?
  • I assume Billy and Travis did play together at the 4 and 5 given the distribution of their minutes
  • Did we ever play a four guard set (meaning only one of Travis, Billy, Graham, and Sasa were on the court)?
  • I’m gonna bet that if Marshall gets back he’ll take Colella’s minutes

All in all, it looks like it a pretty decent opening game. Gotta love the performances from Trey and Travis.

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:18, topic:2775”]Didn’t get to see the game so I’m trying to piece some things together via the boxscore.

• I assume Billy and Travis did play together at the 4 and 5 given the distribution of their minutes
  • Did we ever play a four guard set (meaning only one of Travis, Billy, Graham, and Sasa were on the court)?

All in all, it looks like it a pretty decent opening game. Gotta love the performances from Trey and Travis.[/quote]

I don’t remember Graham and Sasa ever on the court at the same time. I am pretty positive Billy and Ross were however.

A lot of our sets featured four guys around the perimeter with a post man working inside to get open, but I can’t recall ever doing it with 4 guys that I would consider guards on the floor at the same time.

And I agree with you on Marshall taking Colella’s minutes, but he did not look too bad to me either. High energy, seems to have enough quickness to play at this level, and looked fairly confident to me also. I was pleasantly surprised with him considering I had not really ever seen him before.

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:18, topic:2775”]Didn’t get to see the game so I’m trying to piece some things together via the boxscore.

All in all, it looks like it a pretty decent opening game. Gotta love the performances from Trey and Travis.[/quote]

1. Nope never on the court at the same time.
  2. they did play together a good amount but it was at 3 and 4 positions, not 4 and 5
  3. No 4 guards, much because we have good depth at front court and Billy is being used as guard more then as forward at least offensively
  4. Marshall is going to have to really play hard to take Colella minutes. Colella got nice size for a guard and isn’t afraid to shoot and hustles hard. You never guessed he was a walk-on by the way he played.