PSU confirms Ott, Highberger, Babb and Edwards

http://pennstate.scout.com/2/955620.html

If this is the end, then I am no longer in a panic. Some tough losses with Babb and Edwards, but certainly not the end of the world. Not with Buie and Marshall playing next year. We need another big or two and we’ll be fine.

Exactly mjg…what can you do, you move on.

I had three 8 year old boys burst into tears today on the Little League field even though their team was destroying its opponent. A couple of them struck out, another didn’t get to score a run, but you teach them that there’s nothing they can do about it and to just move on.

If my three 8 year old boys can learn that lesson, then we as die-hard (or is that dead) PSU hoop fans need to as well.

Terrible news, sure. But if their heart wasn’t into playing their ball at PSU, then they would certainly be better elsewhere. I just hope that ED doesn’t fill the vacancies with guys with the names of Joonas, Milos and/or Nikola ;D

EDIT: For those who think I’m questioning the three Euros hearts, far from it. My point is more geared toward ED just rushing to fill vacancies. I would hope he learned a lesson the first time. I, myself, liked the attitudes that these players brought to the team. Could ED have done better by being a little more patient or extending the scholarships another year, perhaps, but I do not mean to belittle their contribution to the program.

[quote="Tom, post:1, topic:1015"][url=http://pennstate.scout.com/2/955620.html]http://pennstate.scout.com/2/955620.html[/url][/quote]

If this is the end, then I am no longer in a panic. Some tough losses with Babb and Edwards, but certainly not the end of the world. Not with Buie and Marshall playing next year. We need another big or two and we’ll be fine.

We will not be fine-this is bad news on many levels. Our National Press right now is not about tournament wins & losses. It is about 4 players leaving for whatever reasons you want to believe. It is a low point equal to the JD era except now our coach is JJ - Jerry Junior

[quote="Tom, post:1, topic:1015"][url=http://pennstate.scout.com/2/955620.html]http://pennstate.scout.com/2/955620.html[/url][/quote]

We will not be fine-this is bad news on many levels. Our National Press right now is not about tournament wins & losses. It is about 4 players leaving for whatever reasons you want to believe. It is a low point equal to the JD era except now our coach is JJ - Jerry Junior

I’m with the non-panic group. Ott should’ve been behind Sasa, Highberger didn’t play; the other two are losses, IMO, Babb being the worse loss. That said, this will force Ed to use Frazier and Buie. That could be good. I like freshmen being thrown to the wolves. They succeed or fail, and you know quickly. I thought Tim was underused, as was Sasa, and now Buie will be thrown in. He’s great on D, great going to the hole, he’ll rebound big time, and he’ll get to the line…he just needs to make them.

On Ott, hopefully Ed learned a lesson. Don’t take a player who gets close to zero minutes from another DI school. I don’t care what the program’s legacy is. Nova’s play yesterday shows they’re not the unassailable program one thinks. After that game, would you now take Nova’s 12th man if he was available?

Had Andrew Jones shown up this year, Ott would have been an ideal backup. Unfortunately Ott was asked to do some things he wasn’t quite able to do.

ED may have made a lot of mistakes in his career, but bringing in Ott wasn’t one of them.

Does it really matter? We were a pretty bad team last year with them ,we are going to be a bad team next year with or without them.

Not with Buie and Marshall playing next year. We need another big or two and we’ll be fine.

What? Buie and Marshall have yet to play 1 min of D1 basketball and it’s no big deal? Sorry don’t buy it.You lose your 2nd leading scorer (who made huge improvements this year) and a freshmen who showed some promise. Marshall and Buie might contribute down the road but Chris and Bill would be contributing next season.

Not with Buie and Marshall playing next year. We need another big or two and we’ll be fine.

What? Buie and Marshall have yet to play 1 min of D1 basketball and it’s no big deal? Sorry don’t buy it.You lose your 2nd leading scorer (who made huge improvements this year) and a freshmen who showed some promise. Marshall and Buie might contribute down the road but Chris and Bill would be contributing next season.

Where did I say it was no big deal? I didn’t. I said losing Babb and Edwards was tough. But the backcourt is not our problem. We need big dudes (Ott wasn’t the problem, but also not the answer). So freeing up a couple of ships to bring in a wide body or two may not mean the end of the world as you seem to be predicting. Also, note that I said “we need another big or two and we’ll be fine”. Meaning as it stands, we are not fine. Stop spinning posts to meet your agenda.

AND … you can add Battle to the list of great kids and terrific basketball players from PSU who never got to experience the NCAA tourney. See-Claxton, Cornley, etc., etc., etc.,

Where did I say it was no big deal? I didn’t. I said losing Babb and Edwards was tough. But the backcourt is not our problem. We need big dudes (Ott wasn’t the problem, but also not the answer). So freeing up a couple of ships to bring in a wide body or two may not mean the end of the world as you seem to be predicting. Also, note that I said “we need another big or two and we’ll be fine”. Meaning as it stands, we are not fine. Stop spinning posts to meet your agenda.

"Some tough losses with Babb and Edwards, but certainly not the end of the world. Not with Buie and Marshall playing next year. " Looks like you are putting your eggs in the baskets of 2 kids who haven’t played a second of college basketball.

It’s pretty obvious we need a lot of help everywhere,but losing Chris and Bill just made a bad team even worse. :-\

Cool your jets folks. Sure losing Chris and Bill is tough but let’s see who fills the vacancy. We need PF’S and C’s.

[quote="battlesway2, post:7, topic:1015"]Does it really matter? We were a pretty bad team last year with them ,we are going to be a bad team next year with or without them.[/quote]

AND … you can add Battle to the list of great kids and terrific basketball players from PSU who never got to experience the NCAA tourney. See-Claxton, Cornley, etc., etc., etc.,

That’s who I feel for the most in this mess. Talor has given this program everything he has. It stinks someone with his talent will never get the chance to dance. I know everyone involved is giving it everything they have (coaches included) it’s just not happening.

Like I said calm down. We need to see who we replace them with. If we end up with a Guy like Travis Parker it may not be all bad.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:14, topic:1015”]Like I said calm down. We need to see who we replace them with. If we end up with a Guy like Travis Parker it may not be all bad.[/quote]Travis Parker his senior year

All I’m saying is we don’t even know who we are looking at. Heck last year when we signed Edwards we thought oh great another undersized PF and now we are crying because he left. Let’s see who we end up with before we scream the sky is fall.

Actually, I think most of us were saying great another big guard. Edwards was never portrayed as a power forward. He’s always been carried in the matrix as a shooting guard. I know kid and some wanted him to play at PF but the guy has always been a guard.

On Ott, hopefully Ed learned a lesson. Don't take a player who gets close to zero minutes from another DI school. I don't care what the program's legacy is. Nova's play yesterday shows they're not the unassailable program one thinks. After that game, would you now take Nova's 12th man if he was available?

Had Andrew Jones shown up this year, Ott would have been an ideal backup. Unfortunately Ott was asked to do some things he wasn’t quite able to do.

ED may have made a lot of mistakes in his career, but bringing in Ott wasn’t one of them.

Don’t agree. Singlehandedly cost PSU the game at the Kohl Center. Didn’t like him. What do you mean, an ideal backup? So, if Jones is better and shows up, Ott plays less and that makes him more valuable? ???

Why do people have such an aversion to freshmen? John Wall and Demarcus Cousins are freshmen. Some freshmen can play. Yes, the OOC games can be rough, but look at Battle’s first year, and Stan’s adjustment. They struggled for a bit. Keep in mind, it’s not the 1st 15 games that matter, it’s the last 15. IMO, this was Ed’s mistake this year, not playing Sasa, and to a lesser extent, Frazier. Sasa got minutes in the last 5 games or so. IMO, if Sasa played over Ott, he would have developed sooner.

As mjg points out, the backcourt hasn’t been the problem. In some ways this could help fix the problem, and it will certainly force Buie and Frazier to step up big time. I’m confident. After an adjustment, good players figure it out. I like Tim, he just needs some minutes. IMO, Buie’s better than anybody who left, and his ratings support that by a wide margin. He can just do so much. He’s not the 3 machine Chris is, but so what? Wouldn’t we rather see someone take it to the hole with abandon? Chris ever do that? This will free up the arc somewhat. Add in rebounding, defense and handle, and it’s clear to me he’s really going to help. And Marshall could be a surprise. espn had him higher than Frazier, Sasa and Edwards.

On Ott, hopefully Ed learned a lesson. Don't take a player who gets close to zero minutes from another DI school. I don't care what the program's legacy is. Nova's play yesterday shows they're not the unassailable program one thinks. After that game, would you now take Nova's 12th man if he was available?

Don’t agree. Singlehandedly cost PSU the game at the Kohl Center. Didn’t like him. What do you mean, an ideal backup? So, if Jones is better and shows up, Ott plays less and that makes him more valuable? ???

Why do people have such an aversion to freshmen? John Wall and Demarcus Cousins are freshmen. Some freshmen can play. Yes, the OOC games can be rough, but look at Battle’s first year, and Stan’s adjustment. They struggled for a bit. Keep in mind, it’s not the 1st 15 games that matter, it’s the last 15. IMO, this was Ed’s mistake this year, not playing Sasa, and to a lesser extent, Frazier. Sasa got minutes in the last 5 games or so. IMO, if Sasa played over Ott, he would have developed sooner.

As mjg points out, the backcourt hasn’t been the problem. In some ways this could help fix the problem, and it will certainly force Buie and Frazier to step up big time. I’m confident. After an adjustment, good players figure it out. I like Tim, he just needs some minutes. IMO, Buie’s better than anybody who left, and his ratings support that by a wide margin. He can just do so much. He’s not the 3 machine Chris is, but so what? Wouldn’t we rather see someone take it to the hole with abandon? Chris ever do that? This will free up the arc somewhat. Add in rebounding, defense and handle, and it’s clear to me he’s really going to help. And Marshall could be a surprise. espn had him higher than Frazier, Sasa and Edwards.

That’s great. Who is it going to free it up for?

Earth to Tim Curley: This is not working

And to those who think this is not a big deal - let me know what an acceptable outcome is next year. Because we’re staring at 3-6 wins again (B10). How long is this supposed to go on before it’s obvious that a change needs to be made? Bring in Donahue for an interview when Cornell gets eliminated - a clear upgrade over what we have now.