PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

PSU Basketball Marketing

To: PSU Athletic Department:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE spend a few dollars and market PSU Basketball. This seems to be a perfect time. Billboards…TV adds…whatever.
The PSU hoop programs could use positive marketing!

I work at an Advertising Agency, and I am a Keynesian when it comes to stimulating economies, but I don’t believe Penn State could spend enough to make any difference.

I could see buying what has to be some pretty cheap media (signage, cable TV ads) within driving distance of the BJC and juicing attendance a little, but as we’ve seen, the place starts to fill when we are winning more than a few games in a row, and then it immediately bottoms out when we lose (to top-ranked teams!!!).

I think the best marketing investment would be transforming – not just improving – the BJC experience. Some of the things djones has told me about the Citizens Park experience would be great at the BJC. And if it had a laser-like customer focus that Apple and the greatest companies have, they might get some return business even in mediocre seasons.

I’m curious - what would your plan be and what do you anticipate the results of this plan could be?

They have had billboards and TV ads though.

I have ideas. Billboards…TV adds. Thoes are state wide ideas.
Market positive things.
Recent NCAA
Talor Battle
Recent history of good guard play
Eddy’s hometown area
Locally - student oriented ideas

BUT…I am NOT a marketing professional! I was hoping board members could provide ideas…or maybe the PSU Administration may think of some ideas on their own. In years past this board has had MUCH discussion on marketing (maybe before your time.) I remember many people having many good ideas. Ideas from other teams/other sports. Minor league baseball and NBA games don’t leave a second of quiet time. They try to create a “party atmosphere.” There should be tons of ideas. We live in a society where people drink imported water out of a bottle, buy $50,000+++ cars, super expensive jewelry JUST to be COOL. SO…the general goal would be to attract attention to PSU. This would state wide program. My largest specific goal would be to attraction student. Make attending PSU hoop games COOL.I keep saying…we have 40,000 students close to the BJC…we should be able to get 6-10 thousand to games (league games, anyway.) 4-6 for cupcake games!!

I know my ideas…what are some OTHER ideas!!
and…again most of my ideas are NOT very expensive…Do you know the $$$$$$$$$$$ the PSU athletic department collect??

[quote="Craftsy21, post:3, topic:2378"]I'm curious - what would your plan be and what do you anticipate the results of this plan could be?[/quote]

I have ideas. Billboards…TV adds. Thoes are state wide ideas.
Market positive things.
Recent NCAA
Talor Battle
Recent history of good guard play
Eddy’s hometown area
Locally - student oriented ideas

BUT…I am NOT a marketing professional! I was hoping board members could provide ideas…or maybe the PSU Administration may think of some ideas on their own. In years past this board has had MUCH discussion on marketing (maybe before your time.) I remember many people having many good ideas. Ideas from other teams/other sports. Minor league baseball and NBA games don’t leave a second of quiet time. They try to create a “party atmosphere.” There should be tons of ideas. We live in a society where people drink imported water out of a bottle, buy $50,000+++ cars, super expensive jewelry JUST to be COOL. SO…the general goal would be to attract attention to PSU. This would state wide program. My largest specific goal would be to attraction student. Make attending PSU hoop games COOL.I keep saying…we have 40,000 students close to the BJC…we should be able to get 6-10 thousand to games (league games, anyway.) 4-6 for cupcake games!!

I know my ideas…what are some OTHER ideas!!
and…again most of my ideas are NOT very expensive…Do you know the $$$$$$$$$$$ the PSU athletic department collect??

And so what makes you think there haven’t been people doing this kind of thing for years now? Just because it’s not working doesn’t mean they aren’t trying it. There’s a strong possibility that it’s not working because nobody cares.

Side note, when is the last time a billboard convinced you to do anything? Yeesh, talk about an outdated plan of attack.

PSU has tried minor marketing ideas. They have not worked. SO you TRY BETTER/SMARTER/HARDER !!
No one cares ---------------well no one used to care about buying imported water. Body piercing did not used to be cool. Tattoos did not used to be cool (except for sailors.) You “market them” to care…Crafty…I’m really think you are missing the point! Is it good to “give up??” Not try. Cancel the program. ??? ??? ???
PSU athletics are rolling in money…I expect a better effort for the 2nd most popular national sport.

[quote=“tundra, post:8, topic:2378”]PSU has tried minor marketing ideas. They have not worked. SO you TRY BETTER/SMARTER/HARDER !!
No one cares ---------------well no one used to care about buying imported water. Body piercing did not used to be cool. Tattoos did not used to be cool (except for sailors.) You “market them” to care…Crafty…I’m really think you are missing the point! Is it good to “give up??” Not try. Cancel the program. ??? ??? ???
PSU athletics are rolling in money…I expect a better effort for the 2nd most popular national sport.[/quote]
I just got an idea-send Ed to a tattoo parlor for some nose ring piercings and massive neck tattos-young people could relate better. THAT would be COOL 8)

If we really want more people to support the team, I think the team needs to win, plain and simple. Other than the people like us who would support PSU basketball regardless, others will only gain interest on occasion. If we start to win people will gain interest :slight_smile:

[quote=“tundra, post:8, topic:2378”]PSU has tried minor marketing ideas. They have not worked. SO you TRY BETTER/SMARTER/HARDER !!
PSU athletics are rolling in money…I expect a better effort for the 2nd most popular national sport.[/quote]

Mmmkay, but you’re talking about other things here. How many (consistent) losing teams have good attendance? Any? And how many successful programs (top 25 consistently) have attendance problems? Any?

We don’t have a marketing problem, we have a winning problem. If we were to string together a few nice seasons in a row and still have terrible attendance, I’d be right here with you talking about the need for better advertising and promotions… But we don’t even have a product to sell right now. Not yet at least.

We don’t need more marketing, we need more winning. All the advertisements in the world, short of free big-name concerts at half time, isn’t going to have much of an impact. However, winning will make the marketing team look like geniuses from your perspective.

It’s never going to be “cool” to go watch PSU lose to Stonybrook, SELA, or get raped by Maryland. It WILL be cool seeing PSU consistently knock off Illinois-caliber OOC foes, let alone the Duke’s of the world, if that day ever comes.

I say turn the Marketing Dept. at the Smeal School loose on this problem and see what they can come up with.

[quote="tundra, post:8, topic:2378"]PSU has tried minor marketing ideas. They have not worked. SO you TRY BETTER/SMARTER/HARDER !! No one cares ---------------well no one used to care about buying imported water. Body piercing did not used to be cool. Tattoos did not used to be cool (except for sailors.) You "market them" to care............Crafty..............I'm really think you are missing the point! Is it good to "give up??" Not try. [b]Cancel the program.[/b] ??? ??? ??? PSU athletics are rolling in money...........I expect a better effort for the 2nd most popular national sport.[/quote]

Mmmkay, but you’re talking about other things here. How many (consistent) losing teams have good attendance? Any? And how many successful programs (top 25 consistently) have attendance problems? Any?

We don’t have a marketing problem, we have a winning problem. If we were to string together a few nice seasons in a row and still have terrible attendance, I’d be right here with you talking about the need for better advertising and promotions… But we don’t even have a product to sell right now. Not yet at least.

This is exactly the case! How many times last season did we have a better then average crowd coupled with a loss? The team has to HELP the marketing program! Loren and his team can only use what the team gives them. What would you do with a Stonybrook loss and Buie in the news?

Now you have two coaching positions available so that will generate some press along with new team. I bet you’ll see alot of off-season marketing introducing all the new faces this summer. “Know your lions” will be the phrase of the day…

[quote="tundra, post:8, topic:2378"]PSU has tried minor marketing ideas. They have not worked. SO you TRY BETTER/SMARTER/HARDER !! No one cares ---------------well no one used to care about buying imported water. Body piercing did not used to be cool. Tattoos did not used to be cool (except for sailors.) You "market them" to care............Crafty..............I'm really think you are missing the point! Is it good to "give up??" Not try. [b]Cancel the program.[/b] ??? ??? ??? PSU athletics are rolling in money...........I expect a better effort for the 2nd most popular national sport.[/quote]

How about the Cubs in for Baseball?
How about the Redskins for football?
How about teh Knicks, Warriors, or Clippers in basketball?
How about Iowa in the BIG TEN?

I’m not sure I’d call the Cubs consistent losers. They’ve had >.500 record 6 times in the last 10 years and have been to the playoffs 3 during the decade.

I was thinking more of college basketball programs, here. But if those are all the losing teams with good attendance you can come up with in all sports at all levels, i think you’ve made the point for me just the same.

On top of that, you can’t really compare any of those (except the last one, which i wasn’t really aware they were known for good attendance but i’ll take your word) to PSU basketball. Cubs have a tradition and play in a town that loves baseball, Redskins games are filled up with corporate tickets like most NFL stadiums, and LA and NY are huge markets that love basketball.

A small town that doesn’t care about basketball at any level of the sport, who also happens to have a mostly losing program the last 50 years doesn’t really compare to any of those RARE cases does it?

A couple of points:

PSU is NOT a small town…40,000 would be fans (students) are mostly within walking distance. NO city have such demographics.
Cubs and Redskins are EXACTLY what I am taking about. I’ve known very loyal Cubs and Skins fans. It was “COOL” to be cubs and skins fans through the losing years.
BUT this is good guys…keep going…we are finally getting somewhere!

I was a Penguins fan (many years ago) when Pens were Bad…real bad… The fan base was loyal and pretty large!!

IT CAN BE DONE…IT CAN BE DONE…

All great examples…I should have mentioned them all in my prior posts. Sorry!

Tundra:

How many games did you attend last season?