PSU 76 American 57

Some interesting comments by Ed.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/122109aaa.html

Sounds like Ed is reading Kids comments after all. Does the board agree that PSU is much better defensive team right now compared to last year at this time?

I do.

Yes, even more so than they were a few games ago. Watching the shot clock run down several times was a nice treat. Minus a long bomb bank shot they did a great job not giving up fouls or easy shots after great D for the whole possession. I’m not going to hold them to a bank shot like the one that went in.

I don’t mean to be a downer, but it is hard to tell anything from these last two games. They did not resemble Big 10 competition in the slightest. Still, I am psyched to see how these kids develop and respond.

You’re not being a downer, just a realist. Though I also feel that these kids can’t wait to play games that really matter. I have a feeling they will rise to the level of the competition. Should be fun to follow.

Thats true, but the defense we were calling out as being suspect was against similar types of teams that we’ve played as of late. It might not be enough, but you can tell from the start of the season to now that the defense is getting better against teams of similar levels. That at the very least is a step in the right direction.

[quote="tjb, post:5, topic:530"]I don't mean to be a downer, but it is hard to tell anything from these last two games. They did not resemble Big 10 competition in the slightest. Still, I am psyched to see how these kids develop and respond.[/quote]

I agree that the team is better defensively. I remember six or so years ago when it was awful and the reason was simple: we didn’t have people who could compete in the Big 10. Now we have a lot more who can, and it makes a huge difference. I expect to see them get better at it, too.

I was reacting mostly to the level of competition and pointing out that the superior numbers and performances are kind of artificial. We are playing better than we were at the beginning of the year and I am excited about it, but the Big 10 will be a whole different animal, that’s all.

Thats true, but the defense we were calling out as being suspect was against similar types of teams that we’ve played as of late. It might not be enough, but you can tell from the start of the season to now that the defense is getting better against teams of similar levels. That at the very least is a step in the right direction.

[quote="tjb, post:5, topic:530"]I don't mean to be a downer, but it is hard to tell anything from these last two games. They did not resemble Big 10 competition in the slightest. Still, I am psyched to see how these kids develop and respond.[/quote]

I agree that the team is better defensively. I remember six or so years ago when it was awful and the reason was simple: we didn’t have people who could compete in the Big 10. Now we have a lot more who can, and it makes a huge difference. I expect to see them get better at it, too.

I was reacting mostly to the level of competition and pointing out that the superior numbers and performances are kind of artificial. We are playing better than we were at the beginning of the year and I am excited about it, but the Big 10 will be a whole different animal, that’s all.

Very very true, couldn’t agree more

I’m still disappointed Andrew Jones hasn’t picked it up. He’s my key to any success in the Big Ten

Lions muscle past Eagles in non-conference finale by Jeff Rice

Penn State junior forward David Jackson limped off the floor with just under 14 minutes remaining after suffering what team trainers called a hyperextension of his right knee. “We don’t think there’s any structural damage,” DeChellis said. …

BTN American at Penn State - Men’s Basketball Highlights Video

I like our first 8 players. Babb and Edwards give a very physical presence. Babb has played better recently. You can’t look into a guys head BUT Chris early in the year was forcing many shots. It’s like he was super intent on being the 2nd scorer. NOW, he appears more relaxed and is playing better all around basketball. Working very hard on defense and off the boards. His shots are much less "forced."Ott has played well so far.

From what I saw against American, I thought the defense is better. Vlad burned them early, the defense adjusted and held him in check. From what Dick Jerardi said, Vlad lit it up against DePaul.

Defense is 10% ability and 90% hustle, effort, and attitude. Now that we have a more athletic and deeper team, we can play more intense defense throughout the game. Quality depth does a lot for this team.

I agree 100% with ya on this one. If he doesn’t pick it up I have a feeling we will be battling the Hawkeyes for you know where.

Defense stunk in the Charleston Classic. UMBC, Gardner Webb, American…come on, they aren’t very good teams and you can’t tell a whole lot from them other than the fact that PSU has enough talent now on the floor and the bench where these games are blow-outs and expected to be (which is a long way from 5 years ago when Ed took over). UVA, Va Tech, and Temple are the only real barometers right now. PSU lost 2 of 3 in those games. The good news is that both losses were very close and could have been wins if PSU gets a lucky bounce, makes a key shot or two, or hits some more free throws. So PSU is close. But when you play bad teams, the only thing they tell you about your own team is if you have issues or not, because if you have an issue, it will show up against a bad team. Playing a bad team doesn’t tell you how good you are.

Defensively I have not seen any PSU player step up on the inside and provide anything remotely close to any type of shot blocking capability to make up for a mistake on the perimeter and a dribble drive. I have not seen anybody on defense who is ready to step up and refuse to let the opponent get an offensive rebound and just own the defensive boards through pure determination and hustle (Mel and Claxton had that ability). Hell, I am not even sure what style of defense you can even call PSU right now. They press on occasion but are not a pressing team. They don’t play ‘in your face’ man defense (like a Duke style for instance). They are not a zone team. I would not call anybody on the PSU team right now a defensive stopper type player.

This is by far the most athletic team that PSU has put out on the court potentially ever at PSU. This is the deepest team that I can ever remember at PSU considering that Woodyard is the 9th man.

But as of now, PSU has one legit scorer in Battle. The outside shooting has been very inconsistent (whoever thought that having a Morrissey on this year’s team would have been something that I think would really help with his leadership and consistency). They still can’t shoot free throws.

There are several guys that are going to have to really step up BIGTIME in Big Ten play for PSU to make a run at things over the next 8 weeks. What I think has everybody excited is that we have all seen glimpses of the potential for several guys to be able to step up and meet that challenge. Guys like Frazier, Edwards, Babb, Brooks, even Jones and DJ to a lesser extent, have all had monster games either this year or last that if something ever clicks and PSU gets 80% of that type of play on a night in/night out basis, this team does have the potential to play with just about anybody.