PSU @ #16 Illinois 2009

Penn State at Illinois 2009 Highlights

How is this win remembered for you guys? I look at this game as one of the greatest hardwood classics of all time at any level. Yeah the shooting percentages were poor. Yeah a lot of people laughed at the win and wrote it off as both teams didn’t deserve to win or something. But I don’t see it like that at all. This was a game that more than any other game i’ve ever witnessed got to the core of the game of basketball. Some say it set basketball back years, but those people just like And-1 offensive basketball.

This season was one of my favorite seasons in college basketball history. Not just because PSU was tournament worthy, but the rules of the game that year. 2008-2009 was the first year that the 3 point arc was moved back. Only slightly, but it made a difference. There were new passing lanes new angles, new ways the defense had to play. And this was the last year before the “no-charge zone”. Look at 3:14-3:19. Cornley draws a great charge right in front of the hoop. This was before college hoops became an offensive explosion of And-1s in 2009-2010 due to the no charge zone and less players drawing charges like that.

It’s important to note that PSU won the game at Illinois 38-33. The difference that made PSU tournament worthy that year was their ability to play defense and make timely moves.

PSU was down 29-20 with 9:30 left in the game and came back to win. This game should have been an impressive win, but it wasn’t viewed as a good win. The opponent PSU beat was the #16 ranked team in the country. That’s an incredible win. Then Illinois dropped near the edge of the top 25, and PSU beat them again.

Basically, this game, to me, was the most incredible match. Pressure defense, charges, layup attempts, huge rebounds. Andrew Ott in this game had some of the greatest rebounds and plays of his entire career. Look at 1:34-1:42. The pass from Babb to Ott. Then the steal later by Babb.

Everything was clicking in this game. Amazing defensive performances by both teams, and the game kept you on the edge of your set throughout the entire 40 minutes. This was counter attack basketball. Lots of rebounds. Boring to some maybe, but to me this game was the most impressive win of the season to me. A game that to me showed the heart of this PSU and why PSU would have a chance in any game in the tournament.

[quote=“PSUChamp08, post:1, topic:1197”]How is this win remembered for you guys? I look at this game as one of the greatest hardwood classics of all time at any level. Yeah the shooting percentages were poor. Yeah a lot of people laughed at the win and wrote it off as both teams didn’t deserve to win or something. But I don’t see it like that at all. This was a game that more than any other game i’ve ever witnessed got to the core of the game of basketball. Some say it set basketball back years, but those people just like And-1 offensive basketball.

This season was one of my favorite seasons in college basketball history. Not just because PSU was tournament worthy, but the rules of the game that year. 2008-2009 was the first year that the 3 point arc was moved back. Only slightly, but it made a difference. There were new passing lanes new angles, new ways the defense had to play. And this was the last year before the “no-charge zone”. Look at 3:14-3:19. Cornley draws a great charge right in front of the hoop. This was before college hoops became an offensive explosion of And-1s in 2009-2010 due to the no charge zone and less players drawing charges like that.

It’s important to note that PSU won the game at Illinois 38-33. The difference that made PSU tournament worthy that year was their ability to play defense and make timely moves.

PSU was down 29-20 with 9:30 left in the game and came back to win. This game should have been an impressive win, but it wasn’t viewed as a good win. The opponent PSU beat was the #16 ranked team in the country. That’s an incredible win. Then Illinois dropped near the edge of the top 25, and PSU beat them again.

Basically, this game, to me, was the most incredible match. Pressure defense, charges, layup attempts, huge rebounds. Andrew Ott in this game had some of the greatest rebounds and plays of his entire career. Look at 1:34-1:42. The pass from Babb to Ott. Then the steal later by Babb.

Everything was clicking in this game. Amazing defensive performances by both teams, and the game kept you on the edge of your set throughout the entire 40 minutes. This was counter attack basketball. Lots of rebounds. Boring to some maybe, but to me this game was the most impressive win of the season to me. A game that to me showed the heart of this PSU and why PSU would have a chance in any game in the tournament.[/quote]

This usually has me scratching my head.

Are you saying that moving the arc back actually increases offense?

[quote=“PSUChamp08, post:1, topic:1197”]Penn State at Illinois 2009 Highlights

How is this win remembered for you guys? I look at this game as one of the greatest hardwood classics of all time at any level. Yeah the shooting percentages were poor. Yeah a lot of people laughed at the win and wrote it off as both teams didn’t deserve to win or something. But I don’t see it like that at all. This was a game that more than any other game i’ve ever witnessed got to the core of the game of basketball. Some say it set basketball back years, but those people just like And-1 offensive basketball.

Everything was clicking in this game. Amazing defensive performances by both teams, and the game kept you on the edge of your set throughout the entire 40 minutes. This was counter attack basketball. Lots of rebounds. Boring to some maybe, but to me this game was the most impressive win of the season to me. A game that to me showed the heart of this PSU and why PSU would have a chance in any game in the tournament.[/quote] ::slight_smile:

[quote=“Skeeza, post:2, topic:1197”]This usually has me scratching my head.

Are you saying that moving the arc back actually increases offense?[/quote]

Moving the 3 point arc makes it so there is more room to shoot 2 point jumpers. It pulls defenses out to the perimeter farther to defend the 3 pointer. It made it so teams can’t rely on quick 3 pointers as easily. Some teams developed longer range shooting. (like PSU did that year, like when Battle hit that long 3 at Michigan St) But it did slightly change the game and sometimes, especially in conference that played defense (like the Big Ten), forced teams to work the ball around for much of 35 second clock, then as the shot clock was winding down, either take a tough-angle long 2 point jump shot off of a well-timed pass, or try to force and off balance layup. That was what this game was.

What did you think of this game in 2009? How impressive of a win was this?

[quote="Skeeza, post:2, topic:1197"]This usually has me scratching my head.

Moving the 3 point arc makes it so there is more room to shoot 2 point jumpers. It pulls defenses out to the perimeter farther to defend the 3 pointer. It made it so teams can’t rely on quick 3 pointers as easily. Some teams developed longer range shooting. (like PSU did that year, like when Battle hit that long 3 at Michigan St) But it did slightly change the game and sometimes, especially in conference that played defense (like the Big Ten), forced teams to work the ball around for much of 35 second clock, then as the shot clock was winding down, either take a tough-angle long 2 point jump shot off of a well-timed pass, or try to force and off balance layup. That was what this game was.

The reason it has me scratching my head is that the exact same thing could be accomplished by having your players shoot 3’s from another 2 feet back. Instead of the line being moved, you just play as if it had.

Same thing, right?

[quote="Skeeza, post:2, topic:1197"]This usually has me scratching my head.

The reason it has me scratching my head is that the exact same thing could be accomplished by having your players shoot 3’s from another 2 feet back. Instead of the line being moved, you just play as if it had.

Same thing, right?

Not really.

I don’t actually agree with everything he’s saying, but your statement here isn’t correct either.

As for this video/thread… I’m uh, a bit confused. Seems like there should be some sarcasm attached to this.

…and people in Champaign are still awaiting the second half to tip off. :slight_smile:

I’m as defensive minded as one can get in all the sports I coach, but even I was ashamed to be affiliated with both these schools after this game.

haha.

Yeah it wasn’t the best shooting performance, but I don’t think it was a win to be “ashamed of”. Both teams played great defense and had good boxing out and defensive rebounds. Basically, it sounds like most people didn’t look at that win as an impressive win for PSU at all. They looked at it like a “fluke win” or “bad basketball” or something. There is more to basketball besides having a good shooting percentage. If you beat the 16th ranked team in the country on their own home floor, it’s an impressive win. It wasn’t treated that way, but it’s not a place where many teams could come out with a win there.

I actually find myself siding with PSUChamp08 on this one. Not to the degree that I think it was “one of the greatest hardwood classics of all time at any level”, but I thought it was a riveting game. I didn’t think it was a sloppy game where both teams played poorly - it was a game where tough defense was played by both sides for the entire 40 minutes, leading to the low scoring.

Certainly, if you just look at the final score you would think that it was an awful game. But for those of us that appreciate an intense, defensive slug-fest, there was a certain beauty in it.

That said, if PSU would have lost that game, I would have thought it was one of the worst games ever played ;D

I think we’re romanticizing it a little too much. Yeah, the defense was pretty good and 2nd chance opportunities were limited, but the shooting was pretty terrible too.

I think it was one of those games were you try to suck a little bit less than your opponent.

to quote Bob Picozzi, “…neither team decided to play the back nine”

Did anybody catch the Chris Babb interview? Listen to what he said.

And the one thing I noticed was there was a lot of smiling faces. Unlike last year where I never saw a grin even during a win. Last year the players looked too tight and more like work than a game they enjoyed to play.