PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Props to Brennan

He’s got some great video up on FOS. Unfortunately, it’s $$$$ only.

Two part interview with Chambers: Part One - Part Two

Q and A with Tim Curley

The Chambers sessions were video of the sit down that he did with the beat reporters following the press conference. Pretty much all of what was said in there has already been reported by each of the writers in their stories but you can catch Pat’s actual detailed responses in Mark’s videos.

I thought Curley’s interview was particularly good. Tim is a master at giving non answers to questions that he’s asked but in this instance he came as close as I’ve ever heard him to actually answering some specific questions. Two things stood out to me. When asked if the tools were in place to support the coaching staff and their recruiting efforts, Curley went through his normal routine about benchmarking our resources against the rest of the big ten but actually mentioned providing the staff with the necessary “recruiting money and ability to travel”. Mark specifically asked him about the university planes and Tim said that he would have access to them (and also suggested that DeChellis did too so perhaps ED’s non use of the planes was a personal choice). Mark also tried to pin Tim down on the Bon Jovi episode. Curley did his normal song and dance about how well they’ve work with the Jordan Center through the years but did end with “I don’t think you’ll see that happen again”.

Chambers animated description of the softball incident at Nova was hilarious

Watching the Curley interview…he was more frank than I ever expected regarding “recruiting money and ability to travel”

I find it funny that its coming out after the fact that ostensibly Ed’s inability to fly was due to the size of the school’s aircraft. More much ado about nothing when all is said and done.

It’s not so much the size as it is the ability to use it.

[quote="pennst92, post:4, topic:2477"]I find it funny that its coming out after the fact that ostensibly Ed's inability to fly was due to the size of the school's aircraft. More much ado about nothing when all is said and done.[/quote]

“Arrouse”

You guys crack me up! :smiley:

Part One is now free.

Good stuff!

[quote="pennst92, post:4, topic:2477"]I find it funny that its coming out after the fact that ostensibly Ed's inability to fly was due to the size of the school's aircraft. More much ado about nothing when all is said and done.[/quote]

I find this all to be very ironic.

I was just reading the most recent edition of ESPN the Magazine at the Dr.'s office (June 11th?).

They asked 10 different professional athletes to rate their team’s air travel. One of those 10 happened to be Evan Turner. He gave the Sixers a 7, stating that’s because Ohio State’s air travel was so much nicer (THAN AN NBA TEAM !!!).

According to Turner, the Buckeyes rent the Blue Jacket’s (Columbus NHL team) jet for their travel.

I find this all to be very ironic.

I was just reading the most recent edition of ESPN the Magazine at the Dr.'s office (June 11th?).

They asked 10 different professional athletes to rate their team’s air travel. One of those 10 happened to be Evan Turner. He gave the Sixers a 7, stating that’s because Ohio State’s air travel was so much nicer (THAN AN NBA TEAM !!!).

According to Turner, the Buckeyes rent to Blue Jacket’s (Columbus NHL team) jet for their travel.

How wonder how the Sixer’s salary/compensations compares to tO$u?? :wink:

The Blue Jackets have a DC-9. Most basketball teams, as far as I know, charter CRJ 100s or 200s. The DC-9 seats nearly twice as many as the CRJs, which is probably why Turner likes that better.

DC-9’s also crash-and-burn, much like Ohio $tate’s football program right now.

I dunno - I flew in a bunch of DC 9’s over the years and never once crashed. :wink:

Maybe I’m just in a cynical mood, but there is so much more to this that sickens me.

I somewhat enjoy watching Ohio State crash and burn, but the air travel thing highlights just how grossly perverted this who college sports thing has become.

1.) The “students” generate enough revenue to earn coaches million dollar paychecks
2.) The “students” generate enough revenue to fund a 400+ person athletic department
3.) The “students” generate enough revenue that the school is able to charter flight beyond the reach of NBA teams
4.) The “student” was so valuable that he was able to generate tens of thousands a year for simply his signature, and that’s only what could be done without anyone knowing or seeing anything.

…and we still say that they should be happy with just a scholarship? The big picture on this is rediculous.

[quote="Tom, post:12, topic:2477"]The Blue Jackets have a DC-9. Most basketball teams, as far as I know, charter CRJ 100s or 200s. The DC-9 seats nearly twice as many as the CRJs, which is probably why Turner likes that better.[/quote]

Maybe I’m just in a cynical mood, but there is so much more to this that sickens me.

I somewhat enjoy watching Ohio State crash and burn, but the air travel thing highlights just how grossly perverted this who college sports thing has become.

1.) The “students” generate enough revenue to earn coaches million dollar paychecks
2.) The “students” generate enough revenue to fund a 400+ person athletic department
3.) The “students” generate enough revenue that the school is able to charter flight beyond the reach of NBA teams
4.) The “student” was so valuable that he was able to generate tens of thousands a year for simply his signature, and that’s only what could be done without anyone knowing or seeing anything.

…and we still say that they should be happy with just a scholarship? The big picture on this is rediculous.

Who says a DC-9 is beyond the reach of an NBA team? Maybe an NBA team doesn’t feel the need to charter a 90+ person plane for 25-30 people.

[quote="Tom, post:12, topic:2477"]The Blue Jackets have a DC-9. Most basketball teams, as far as I know, charter CRJ 100s or 200s. The DC-9 seats nearly twice as many as the CRJs, which is probably why Turner likes that better.[/quote]

I’d be glad to see them get paid but no more scholarships. It’s time that start realizing what their fellow students have to do to pay for school

I’d be glad to see them get paid but no more scholarships. It’s time that start realizing what their fellow students have to do to pay for school

Don’t kid yourself !!!

Those kids’ financial value is far, far beyond what they are being compensated for. Remember, Pryor is in trouble for making $20K a year for just his John Hancock on the DL.

Ohio State’s football revenue in 2009 was almost $70M. Profit was over $35M. If players had to be compensated, tuition would be a JOKE !!!