Props to a few players tonight

Babb played better even though he missed some open shots. 9 rebounds!

Ott with 7 points (2-4 from the field) and 6 rebounds

Edwards 7 points, 4 rebounds, 2 blocked shots

Woodyard 6 points, 2 rebounds, and a steal in very limited action. He played with more energy than most.

Where was Frazier in the second half? Battle had to play hard on both ends - tough to defend McCamey and still have energy on offense.

Jones & Brooks certainly didn’t come out with any fire after being benched.

I’m not sure why so many are so dismissive of Ott. I’m not going to tell anyone he’s good enough to be All Big 10 or anything like that. But whenever he gets in there he seems to produce. I hope he continues to get the starts until Jones finds away to harness that NBA ability he has.

I would’ve like to see Frazier as well.

Cam is the best pure shooter on the team IMO.

[quote=“GoSpikes, post:3, topic:641”]I would’ve like to see Frazier as well.

Cam is the best pure shooter on the team IMO.[/quote]
Dick has be saying that since almost first game he saw Cam.

I think highberger is the best pure shooter, but point taken.

If by “pure shooter” you mean good bench player who can get hot every now and then and give the team some points. Then yes, Cam and Adam are great pure shooters!

Not sure what to say about the game. Ott gets high marks. Babb too. Cam too, in limited time. DJ played well also. Glad to see different lineup. Brooks and Jones weren’t cutting it. Would like to see Sasa, and may happen.

I was watching something I don’t normally watch, but some of the screens set in the lane are terrible, not completed, sort of running through the motions. Ed should pounce on this. How can an offense work when guys are lazy executing? Bad sign, IMO. I’ve seen 8th grade CYO girls set better picks. Never noticed it before, but really bad. It was like guys wanted the ball back, so set lazy pick, and then ran to the arc for the ball. A good pick delays the defender longer, maybe 0.5 seconds, but that’s enough to make things work. Didn’t notice it til late, but then happened all the time.

Blame my wife on the loss…she was on the phone with Hong Kong for the first 56:00 of the game. Walked in with PSU leading 53-49. Then watched as her Illini scored the last five points of the game.

Anyway, I really feel the team took a major step forward tonight. Still need to learn how to win games, but was very impressed how, as a team, they were aggressive in the half court set, rather than dribbling out the first 30 seconds of the shot clock, then hoisting a terrible shot.

It was a game for kids like Babb and Woodyard and Frazier and Edwards and Ott to really step up with the added minutes some of them were getting, and they did just that for the most part. Just wish Battle (as so many have said tonight) would trust them in crucial situations. Maybe the last play was drawn up that way, maybe not, but after Babb in-bounded the ball he was left open along the baseline. Talor had just enough time to get it back to him for an open look at the game winner.

Oh well. Here’s hoping the five guys I mentioned at the beginning of the last paragraph (and maybe Sasa) continue to play a large role in building this team into a winner. I really feel Babb/Edwards will be an incredible 2/3 combo on both sides of the floor. They continue to impress me.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:8, topic:641”]Blame my wife on the loss…she was on the phone with Hong Kong for the first 56:00 of the game. Walked in with PSU leading 53-49. Then watched as her Illini scored the last five points of the game.

Anyway, I really feel the team took a major step forward tonight. Still need to learn how to win games, but was very impressed how, as a team, they were aggressive in the half court set, rather than dribbling out the first 30 seconds of the shot clock, then hoisting a terrible shot.

It was a game for kids like Babb and Woodyard and Frazier and Edwards and Ott to really step up with the added minutes some of them were getting, and they did just that for the most part. Just wish Battle (as so many have said tonight) would trust them in crucial situations. Maybe the last play was drawn up that way, maybe not, but after Babb in-bounded the ball he was left open along the baseline. Talor had just enough time to get it back to him for an open look at the game winner.

Oh well. Here’s hoping the five guys I mentioned at the beginning of the last paragraph (and maybe Sasa) continue to play a large role in building this team into a winner. I really feel Babb/Edwards will be an incredible 2/3 combo on both sides of the floor. They continue to impress me.[/quote]

I agree that I was happy with the minutes distribution. The team looked better with less minutes for Brooks/Jones. However, as kid points out, the offense is still terrible. The only offense is Battle driving or Babb shooting from 22 feet. Edwards seemed to create a few more shots today. And kudos to Ott for playing well.

Ottzilla is back ladies and gentlemen. Warn the Big10.

Its a shame he doesn’t have Big Ten athleticism. The kid played hard tonight, although it was a good matchup for him. I’m most curious to see if Jones and Brooks are banished for the rest of the season to the bench…

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:7, topic:641”]Not sure what to say about the game. Ott gets high marks. Babb too. Cam too, in limited time. DJ played well also. Glad to see different lineup. Brooks and Jones weren’t cutting it. Would like to see Sasa, and may happen.

I was watching something I don’t normally watch, but some of the screens set in the lane are terrible, not completed, sort of running through the motions. Ed should pounce on this. How can an offense work when guys are lazy executing? Bad sign, IMO. I’ve seen 8th grade CYO girls set better picks. Never noticed it before, but really bad. It was like guys wanted the ball back, so set lazy pick, and then ran to the arc for the ball. A good pick delays the defender longer, maybe 0.5 seconds, but that’s enough to make things work. Didn’t notice it til late, but then happened all the time.[/quote]
Didn’t notice last night. But are poor picking is a pet peeve of mind. Our 2 primary pickers set “moving picks” all the time. Fouls waiting to be called. The fact that refs do not always call this foul reinforces the bad behavior (I guess.) This is where coaching coming into play.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:7, topic:641"]Not sure what to say about the game. Ott gets high marks. Babb too. Cam too, in limited time. DJ played well also. Glad to see different lineup. Brooks and Jones weren't cutting it. Would like to see Sasa, and may happen.

I was watching something I don’t normally watch, but some of the screens set in the lane are terrible, not completed, sort of running through the motions. Ed should pounce on this. How can an offense work when guys are lazy executing? Bad sign, IMO. I’ve seen 8th grade CYO girls set better picks. Never noticed it before, but really bad. It was like guys wanted the ball back, so set lazy pick, and then ran to the arc for the ball. A good pick delays the defender longer, maybe 0.5 seconds, but that’s enough to make things work. Didn’t notice it til late, but then happened all the time.[/quote]
Didn’t notice last night. But are poor picking is a pet peeve of mind. Our 2 primary pickers set “moving picks” all the time. Fouls waiting to be called. The fact that refs do not always call this foul reinforces the bad behavior (I guess.) This is where coaching coming into play.

Like the last play of the game

[quote="noobd, post:10, topic:641"]Ottzilla is back ladies and gentlemen. Warn the Big10.[/quote]

Its a shame he doesn’t have Big Ten athleticism. The kid played hard tonight, although it was a good matchup for him. I’m most curious to see if Jones and Brooks are banished for the rest of the season to the bench…

I agree it was a good matchup for Ott, since Tisdale will not out athletic many players himself and will settle on mostly jumpers and hook shots away from the hoop.

But one has to notice the size of Ott and the way he fills the lane on both ends of the court. Sure there will be players like JuJuan Johnson and Deshawn Sims who will be matchup problems. But the one thing I saw in Andrew Ott on Tuesday night was the desire and confidence to play a solid center for the Nittany Lions. The offense just seemed to flow a lot better with him in there and he was very active on both the offensive and defensive boards.

What this will hopefully do is let Andrew Jones be an energy guy off the bench where he won’t have to worry about staying out of foul trouble and he can just play loose. Unfortunately, didn’t really see any of that from him last night. Probably a little uncomfortable with his new role of coming off the bench.

This might have been just a one game thing with starting Ott over Jones due to matchups. I’m sort of hoping Ott remains the starter and have Jones develop into that energy guy off the bench. Jones is very much a big part of this team going forward, I just hope, if he is now a bench player, that he adjusts to his role and embraces it. It will add a much-needed wrinkle to the team if he does.

Props to Babb, Edwards and Ott last night. That said, don’t get too excited by Ott. He matches up fairly well against Tisdale. Most of the other B10 teams centers aren’t as slow as Tisdale. Ott struggles against the more active guys. I think Babb has turned the corner and Bill seems to be coming along.

I don’t get why Jackson keeps getting a pass. He’s averaging the same 7.8 pts per game as Brooks. Last night he had 2 pts and was 0-for-3 from 3. Why is DJ taking 3 3’s in a game??? Get your butt inside. Set picks and fight for position.

Agree with Kid on picks and screens. Not good. I don’t think it’s ED as much as it is the players. I just don’t think DJ and Jeff really want to be inside banging. I also don’t think we do a good job scraping by the ones that are set. We leave enough room for our guy to follow or force the picker to move.

Kid, this is constructive criticism. Battle needs to learn how to pull up off his drive for a little runner or a stop-and-pop. The last block by Tisdale is a prime example of him getting in too deep on the D without being able to elevate over the top.

I agree that would be a really nice addition to his offensive game, but I thought Talor did a nice job on his drive last night. He was playing to contact and he got fouled on the body before he put the shot up. I didn’t have a problem with it not being called but he clearly was playing to draw contact to get to the foul line.

I think Jackson is shooting something like 40% from the 3. He’s got a nice stroke and he’s been consistent for the most part. I have no problem with him taking open 3’s.

I did not see the game, so I can only comment on others comments. Happy to hear that Cam played well in his brief stint. He needs to get more time. But, who will he replace? Edwards is clearly ahead of him. When Babb is not at 2, he swings to 3. Next year, add Buie to the mix and his time may even get more limited. This is one area that I disagree with Ed’s recruiting. There are too many similar type wing players and not enough bigs.

Speaking of big guys, I heard on the pregame show that Oliver again did not make the trip. I assume that it is because of his headaches. Is he practicing at all? I don’t want to start any rumors, only my specuation, but what are the chances he wont’ be back? There was a kid whose name I don’t remember that PSU wouldn’t let play because of a concusion and he transferred. Also, Marlon Smith had to go somewhere else to play. Could Oliver fall into this category at the end of the season?

Tough one to lose. :’(
But, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

With last year’s good karma we win that game.
Alas, this is a different season.

I am anxious to see which ones respond positively.

[quote=“mlt86, post:17, topic:641”]I did not see the game, so I can only comment on others comments. Happy to hear that Cam played well in his brief stint. He needs to get more time. But, who will he replace? Edwards is clearly ahead of him. When Babb is not at 2, he swings to 3. Next year, add Buie to the mix and his time may even get more limited. This is one area that I disagree with Ed’s recruiting. There are too many similar type wing players and not enough bigs.

Speaking of big guys, I heard on the pregame show that Oliver again did not make the trip. I assume that it is because of his headaches. Is he practicing at all? I don’t want to start any rumors, only my specuation, but what are the chances he wont’ be back? There was a kid whose name I don’t remember that PSU wouldn’t let play because of a concusion and he transferred. Also, Marlon Smith had to go somewhere else to play. Could Oliver fall into this category at the end of the season?[/quote]

I’m sure Ed would love to recruit more bigs and I’m sure he’s trying to do so. But there are obviously more recruits available to play the guard/wing position so I think the question is would you rather have a guard/wing who can come off the bench and contribute to some extent or would you rather have a big who is good for 5 fouls a game but doesn’t merit any PT? Something tells me Cam was the best available option at the time.

Aaron Jack - he went to Texas A&M.