Projecting the starting lineup and depth chart

So, we’ve got some non-con info and it looks like our recruiting class is set. Who do you have as your starters for 2010? What type of rotation do you see ED employing?

My first guess:

PG- Battle
SG- Buie
SF- Brooks
PF- Jackson
C- Jones

Bench, with meaningful minutes:
Marshall at the 3
Oliver at PF
Frazier for when we go to a 3 guard set
Sasa to spell Jones
Bowman as we get further along the Non-Con schedule.

So 5 of our top 10 have very little/no college experience.

On the flip side, 4 have much experience - including a deep post season run… FWIW. :smiley:

[quote="NICU, post:2, topic:1257"]So 5 of our top 10 have very little/no college experience.[/quote]

On the flip side, 4 have much experience - including a deep post season run… FWIW. :smiley:

Yep - It is pretty much an all or nothing with those 10 players.

A bit hard to say, really. Battle, Jackson, Jones, and Brooks seem like sure things being 4th and 5th year guys with not much developed behind them. Buie would seemingly only have to beat out Frazier for a starting position at that point.

Not sure what to make of Marshall or Oliver at this point, to be lining up any minutes for them as of now. Sasa will be about the only known commodity providing inside relief, maybe Bowman can provide some help there also?

Looks to me like we’ll see a lot more 3-guard this year being so thin on the front line. Could see DJ getting bumped to the 4-position much more frequently, with Jones and Brooks splitting duty at the 5 when legs get tired or fouls become an issue.

That would mean Frazier, Battle, and Taran would probably be running things together, which is okay by me.

But the look for Cam to be getting minutes also at the 2/3, now that Babb and Edwards aren’t eating up minutes ahead of him.

If Marshall can provide anything it’s a huge plus, but again… i’m going to need to see it to believe it

I wouldn’t count Frazier out of the starting 5. Buie is good, but he isn’t going to be playing top notch basketball right off the bat.

4 locks…The rest “up for grabs”

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:1, topic:1257”]So, we’ve got some non-con info and it looks like our recruiting class is set. Who do you have as your starters for 2010? What type of rotation do you see ED employing?

My first guess:

PG- Battle
SG- Buie
SF- Brooks
PF- Jackson
C- Jones

Marshall at the 3
Oliver at PF
Sasa to spell Jones
Bowman as we get further along the Non-Con schedule.[/quote]

Frazier may start. Other than that, I totally agree with you and I think the rest of the bench looks thin. Again I wonder where this program is heading. Unless we think that our starting 5 are going to outplay entire Big Ten squads almost every night out, I don’t see a great record. Battle and Jackson will be doing almost everything themselves unless some other guys really pick it up over last year.

[quote="BleedPSU, post:1, topic:1257"]So, we've got some non-con info and it looks like our recruiting class is set. Who do you have as your starters for 2010? What type of rotation do you see ED employing?

My first guess:

PG- Battle
SG- Buie
SF- Brooks
PF- Jackson
C- Jones

Marshall at the 3
Oliver at PF
Sasa to spell Jones
Bowman as we get further along the Non-Con schedule.[/quote]

Frazier may start. Other than that, I totally agree with you and I think the rest of the bench looks thin. Again I wonder where this program is heading. Unless we think that our starting 5 are going to outplay entire Big Ten squads almost every night out, I don’t see a great record. Battle and Jackson will be doing almost everything themselves unless some other guys really pick it up over last year.

FWIW, PSU’s last two NCAA teams were heavy senior teams and relatively thin on bench. Not sure if the equation will hold true this year. I would’ve felt better about adding another year to NCAAs had Babb and Edwards not left the program. But regardless, thin bench for sure. Oliver, Marshall, Buie, and Bowman are simply uncertains (yes Buie highly regarded, but unsure what he brings vs D1 talent from game 1). And Sasa contributions still a bit of an unknown since he received little playing time last year. Hope Frazier’s game has improvement. We typically see a nice improvement jump from Fr to Soph year.

Bottom line, the 4 senior starters have an opportunity to showcase their experience. Experience is an advantage, at least I thought so. Of course last year having the same group as juniors showed that maybe experience vs talent not enough. And at quick glance, Big Ten will be solid again…

All we can do is wait for the season to start to see how the kids will play for 10-11 season.

5 out of Kentucky’s top 5 had zero college experience. Why can other teams have freshmen who make a major impact, and PSU fans don’t think freshmen can start? Mind boggling. If the front line is the same as last year, why should there be different results? Isn’t Jared Sullinger projected by some to be POTY? Isn’t he a freshman? I also hope Sasa starts.

He’ll play the 3 then. NFW that Brooks starts and he doesn’t. Not by conference time anyway. He does everything better. His defense alone gets him in. I expect the rough period to be on his shooting, not D, rebounding, handle, which is superior to most of the returning players. Like Talor, he’ll play despite rough patches, cause he’s terrific. Brooks and Jones were sat down as juniors. I hope they’ve stepped up their game. I see 3 guard offense big time. By conference time I see:

Battle
Buie
Frazier/Brooks for 2 guard offense
Jones/Sasa
DJ

5 out of Kentucky's top 5 had zero college experience. Why can other teams have freshmen who make a major impact, and PSU fans don't think freshmen can start? Mind boggling.

Likely the greatest recruiting class of all vs one that would be lucky to crack the top 100 for 2010 alone. Yeah, mind boggling alright.

Likely the greatest recruiting class of all vs one that would be lucky to crack the top 100 for 2010 alone. Yeah, mind boggling alright.[/quote]

Is Buie not rated higher than all returning players with possibly the exception of Talor? Did Talor start as a freshman? Jamelle? How about Geary? Joe Crispin? Just asking. He’s rated higher than Geary and Jamelle. They did okay. Buie is no luckier than Talor to crack the top 100. He’s better than Tobias Harris, who he played against(and beat soundly) and with on AAU with Brice Kofane and Hippolyte Tsfack. Harris is a 5 star, headed to Tennessee, and could use some toughness…big time. He also played vs. all the top NYS players, Stephenson, Kemba Walker, Brandon Triche, Kevin Jones, outplaying both Jones and Stephenson. If you don’t think he’ll be a star, I guess you don’t think he’ll be in top 3 in scoring on PSU his freshman year. I do. Top 3 in rebounds, steals and FTA’s as well. I wouldn’t expect the team to improve at all, with the loss of Babb, and Buie not playing a vital role, and I don’t mean off the bench. The team was 3-16 last year in conference. Better hope there are big changes. Better hope he makes a big impact, Day 1.

Kid - You do boggle the mind sometimes. I know and understand that freshman start all the time (this is NO SECRET)…but not the kind of freshman we have, generally speaking. You bash our recruiting to no end, yet all of a sudden you are defending the freshman/redshirt freshman/sophs? I don’t even understand what you were trying to say in response to me. I would try to respond, but I honestly have no clue what the below means? I was simply stating we are going to be really inexperienced outside of our four seniors.

5 out of Kentucky’s top 5 had zero college experience. Why can other teams have freshmen who make a major impact, and PSU fans don’t think freshmen can start? Mind boggling. If the front line is the same as last year, why should there be different results? Isn’t Jared Sullinger projected by some to be POTY? Isn’t he a freshman? I also hope Sasa starts.

I’m guessing you are flying off the handle to defend Buie? To answer your question, I am pretty sure Frazier ended higher than him in the Rivals rankings. And FWIW, Patrick Patterson did have college experience :wink:

No he is not.

On Rivals, Buie was #145 (#35 point guard) behind Frazier #110 (#20 point guard) and Battle #131 (#21 point guard).
On Scout, Buie was a three star (#33 shooting guard) behind Brooks four star (#14 SF/PF), Battle three star (#21 point guard), and Frazier three star (#21 point guard).

As far as starting goes, Brooks and Claxton started their first games, Battle started his second game, Joe Crispin started his sixth game, Jamelle started his eighth game.

Lar - Tim Frazer was ranked #110 on rivals.com and the #20 PG.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/washington/basketball/recruiting/player-Tim-Frazier-68201

Rankings mean nothing it’s who comes to play and who wants it the most. Ed will play who he feels is the best at the time he heavily leans to his most experienced players. As of right now I heard Jeff Brooks is playing unbelievable well however I have always heard he plays crazy in practise he just has to bring it to the game and I also heard that Trey Bowman is pretty good. Whatever minutes Taran plays is fine with me as long as he plays at 150 percent of his ability.

Realtruth tells the truth. What I want to see is Jeff and Andrew play like they did at the end of the season. I just hope the new guys are ready to contribute and I really want to see Oliver and Marshall. It seems like Billy’s been here forever, but nobody has seen him play. I am sure he’s been frustrated and this is not how he envisioned his PSU experience when he signed his LOI.

RT I’ll take Taran at 100%. :wink: Should be an interesting year seeing Talor and Taran together. I’m sure that they will play their best.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:11, topic:1257"][quote]5 out of Kentucky's top 5 had zero college experience. Why can other teams have freshmen who make a major impact, and PSU fans don't think freshmen can start? Mind boggling.[/quote]

Likely the greatest recruiting class of all vs one that would be lucky to crack the top 100 for 2010 alone. Yeah, mind boggling alright.[/quote]

Is Buie not rated higher than all returning players with possibly the exception of Talor? Did Talor start as a freshman? Jamelle? How about Geary? Joe Crispin? Just asking. He’s rated higher than Geary and Jamelle. They did okay. Buie is no luckier than Talor to crack the top 100. He’s better than Tobias Harris, who he played against(and beat soundly) and with on AAU with Brice Kofane and Hippolyte Tsfack. Harris is a 5 star, headed to Tennessee, and could use some toughness…big time. He also played vs. all the top NYS players, Stephenson, Kemba Walker, Brandon Triche, Kevin Jones, outplaying both Jones and Stephenson. If you don’t think he’ll be a star, I guess you don’t think he’ll be in top 3 in scoring on PSU his freshman year. I do. Top 3 in rebounds, steals and FTA’s as well. I wouldn’t expect the team to improve at all, with the loss of Babb, and Buie not playing a vital role, and I don’t mean off the bench. The team was 3-16 last year in conference. Better hope there are big changes. Better hope he makes a big impact, Day 1.

I’m not saying Taran couldn’t make an impact for us - that wasn’t the point ANYBODY in here was trying to make.

But you make the statement that ‘5 guys for Kentucky had no experience and they were great last year’ like we’re bringing in 5 guys with that kind of talent. We have ONE guy with no experience that might make a big impact for us this year (and he’s probably rated lower than all 5 guys from that dream recruiting class last year at Kentucky, for the record).

That’s why PSU fans don’t expect the same production from their inexperienced players that UK fans do. Hard to believe that needs saying.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:12, topic:1257"]Is Buie not rated higher than all returning players with possibly the exception of Talor? Did Talor start as a freshman? Jamelle? How about Geary? Joe Crispin?[/quote]

No he is not.

On Rivals, Buie was #145 (#35 point guard) behind Frazier #110 (#20 point guard) and Battle #131 (#21 point guard).
On Scout, Buie was a three star (#33 shooting guard) behind Brooks four star (#14 SF/PF), Battle three star (#21 point guard), and Frazier three star (#21 point guard).

As far as starting goes, Brooks and Claxton started their first games, Battle started his second game, Joe Crispin started his sixth game, Jamelle started his eighth game.

Buie was rated higher on espn than Brooks and Frazier. Taran had a 93 rating, Frazier 89, Brooks(from memory)90. I think Talor was 93 as well. Re starting as frosh, I didn’t mean the exact 1st game, I meant the 1st season.

Kid - You do boggle the mind sometimes. I know and understand that freshman start all the time (this is NO SECRET)...but not the kind of freshman we have, generally speaking. You bash our recruiting to no end, yet all of a sudden you are defending the freshman/redshirt freshman/sophs? I don't even understand what you were trying to say in response to me. I would try to respond, but I honestly have no clue what the below means? I was simply stating we are going to be really inexperienced outside of our four seniors.

I’m guessing you are flying off the handle to defend Buie? To answer your question, I am pretty sure Frazier ended higher than him in the Rivals rankings. And FWIW, Patrick Patterson did have college experience :wink:

NICU, I’m not talking generally, I’m talking specifically. Year after year, freshmen have a major impact on many programs, many in the Big 10. Just look at OSU and Purdue, and even NW with Shurna. I do think the front line continues to be an issue, but that’s not really freshmen related. I’m not worried about the freshmen. Freshmen weren’t responsible for last year’s disaster.

I’ll go with:
Talor/Frazier
Taran/Frazier/Bowman/Woodyard
Brooks/Marshall/Woodyard
Jackson/Brooks/Sasa/Oliver/Graham
Jones/Sasa/Graham

I don’t think Frazier will start at PG or SG, but he’ll be the 1st off the bench for both positions. I also don’t think we’ll see him on the floor with Talor and Taran. It’s going to be a real fight to get the minutes as the backup SG and SF. I really hope that Marshall or Bowman can be that guy. Marshall hasn’t played competitively in 2 years and when I saw him in HS I wasn’t sold that he is quick enough to be a good scorer at the SG. Woodyard has been here for a few years and couldn’t beat out Babb and Edwards so it’s unlikely he’ll win the spot now. I think Bowman will play SG exclusively. We really need Oliver to be able to contribute this year as a big SF or small PF. Sasa needs to play center a lot more. His quickness is not exposed there and he’s a solid rebounder and inside scoring threat that we didn’t have last year. Graham will be a sub at PF and C behind Sasa. That’s my 2 cents.