PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Programming Alert: The Goon Show from Coaches vs Cancer

Just to let you know that the Goon Show will be broadcasting tomorrow live from the Coaches vs Cancer reception at Medlar Field at [this part intentionally left blank]. We’ll be “on the air” from 7-9 pm and expect to have several current and former Nit athletes as guests on the show.

As always you can listen live at our website. A podcast version of the show will be available for later download.

I haven’t attended, but my impression is that more Penn State coaches are participating in CVC this year than in the past. Maybe it’s the Scandal, maybe it’s Joyner, maybe it’s O’Brien and Chambers, but there seems to be more of a we’re-all-one-family collegiality among the Penn State head coaches of late. O’Brien, in particular, seems to be making himself available to the other coaches.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/053012aaa.html

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:2, topic:3306”]I haven’t attended, but my impression is that more Penn State coaches are participating in CVC this year than in the past. Maybe it’s the Scandal, maybe it’s Joyner, maybe it’s O’Brien and Chambers, but there seems to be more of a we’re-all-one-family collegiality among the Penn State head coaches of late. O’Brien, in particular, seems to be making himself available to the other coaches.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/053012aaa.html[/quote]

I know where you are coming from and there might be some truth to your statement about the family feeling. However, the increased presence of coaches is something that started a couple of years ago.

Last year’s tournament had: Galen Hall, Jay Paterno, Russ Rose, Char Morett, John Hargis, Bob Warming, Jeff Tambroni, Missy Doherty, and Bruce Parkhill.

The year before that it was: Tom Bradley, Jay Paterno, Russ Rose, Char Morett, and Bruce Parkhill.

Two years before, there were no coaches from PSU teams other than basketball (however, Gene Keady from Purdue was there and I should add that I’m reasonable sure that Galen Hall played even though he wasn’t listed in the press release)

Three years, none were listed in the press release (again I think Galen played though).

So getting the PSU coaches more involved started a couple of years ago.

I’ll be up for the father son camp starting tomorrow night. Maybe some former players will stop by.

We had a kick-ass show tonight as former hoopsters Joe Crispin, Jarrett Stephens, and Tyler Smith stopped by. Bruce Parkhill, founding coach for the PSU CvC tournament, also graced us with his presence.

A couple of football legends chewed the fat with the guys - PSU All American John Skorupan and Hall of Famer Lydell Mitchell. Former Nit and current Steeler punter Jeremy Kapinos dropped by after dropping off a signed Steeler football for the CvC silent auction.

Also, JoeBa (Joe Battista) wrapped up the show with an extra half hour of hockey talk.

We also had a couple of segments to remind us of what a nasty disease cancer is. Steve Greer, former president of the Penn State Hoops club, and one of the principles in getting this event going on our campus, filled us in on the history of the event, and then told us about his personal experience with fighting the disease. Also Goon, Sweeney, and Mark Brennan spent a few moments reminiscing about our recent departed friend, Pat Boland, who would have been 43 today.

This is a must listen show for PSU sports fans.

The full show is available for streaming on our website or through iTunes.

We’ll also edit the show into segments in the near future, if you just want to catch a particular piece of the show. Needless to say, I’ll let you know when we’ve chopped it up.

Bob Perks, a former Penn State baseball player and huge fan of the hoops program, is also frequently remembered at this time. He died a few years back of melanoma. I don’t think there is anyone I enjoyed talking to more about Penn State basketball over the years than Bob - such a solid person.

There is a fund in his name that provides cash to families strapped because of medical expenses when facing cancer. A very worthy cause. http://www.BobPerksCancerAssistanceFund.org/

[quote=“UncleLar, post:5, topic:3306”]We had a kick-ass show tonight as former hoopsters Joe Crispin, Jarrett Stephens, and Tyler Smith stopped by. Bruce Parkhill, founding coach for the PSU CvC tournament, also graced us with his presence.

A couple of football legends chewed the fat with the guys - PSU All American John Skorupan and Hall of Famer Lydell Mitchell. Former Nit and current Steeler punter Jeremy Kapinos dropped by after dropping off a signed Steeler football for the CvC silent auction.

Also, JoeBa (Joe Battista) wrapped up the show with an extra half hour of hockey talk.

We also had a couple of segments to remind us of what a nasty disease cancer is. Steve Greer, former president of the Penn State Hoops club, and one of the principles in getting this event going on our campus, filled us in on the history of the event, and then told us about his personal experience with fighting the disease. Also Goon, Sweeney, and Mark Brennan spent a few moments reminiscing about our recent departed friend, Pat Boland, who would have been 43 today.

We’ll also edit the show into segments in the near future, if you just want to catch a particular piece of the show. Needless to say, I’ll let you know when we’ve chopped it up.[/quote]

You keep saying “we” in posts about this show. I must have missed it along the way, but what is your role in this show? I’m just curious.

Shady insider.

You keep saying "we" in posts about this show. I must have missed it along the way, but what is your role in this show? I'm just curious.

Shady insider.

I’m sure that’s part of it. :smiley:

We had a kick-ass show tonight as former hoopsters Joe Crispin, Jarrett Stephens, and Tyler Smith stopped by. Bruce Parkhill, founding coach for the PSU CvC tournament, also graced us with his presence.

We’ll also edit the show into segments in the near future, if you just want to catch a particular piece of the show. Needless to say, I’ll let you know when we’ve chopped it up.

You keep saying “we” in posts about this show. I must have missed it along the way, but what is your role in this show? I’m just curious.

Simplistically, I run the website.

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:2, topic:3306"]I haven't attended, but my impression is that more Penn State coaches are participating in CVC this year than in the past. Maybe it's the Scandal, maybe it's Joyner, maybe it's O'Brien and Chambers, but there seems to be more of a we're-all-one-family collegiality among the Penn State head coaches of late. O'Brien, in particular, seems to be making himself available to the other coaches.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/053012aaa.html[/quote]

I know where you are coming from and there might be some truth to your statement about the family feeling. However, the increased presence of coaches is something that started a couple of years ago.

Last year’s tournament had: Galen Hall, Jay Paterno, Russ Rose, Char Morett, John Hargis, Bob Warming, Jeff Tambroni, Missy Doherty, and Bruce Parkhill.

The year before that it was: Tom Bradley, Jay Paterno, Russ Rose, Char Morett, and Bruce Parkhill.

Two years before, there were no coaches from PSU teams other than basketball (however, Gene Keady from Purdue was there and I should add that I’m reasonable sure that Galen Hall played even though he wasn’t listed in the press release)

Three years, none were listed in the press release (again I think Galen played though).

So getting the PSU coaches more involved started a couple of years ago.

Just an update.

The trend that was started a couple of years ago looks to be accelerating.

With the loss of the Second Mile tournament, the football program no longer has a premiere summer event. Joining up with the Coaches vs Cancer event would seem to make a lot of sense. The recent bonding that O’Brien and Chambers had on the Coaches Caravan seems to have been the catalyst toward moving this fully forward.

I have mixed emotions about this. As a hoops fan, I have really appreciated the basketball centric focus of this event. There have been a few football players and coaches who have annually participated but for the most part it was a basketball function (as fits the original concept which was initiated by Jim Valvano’s passing due to cancer). Bringing the football program on board will likely bump hoops to be second fiddle (if not immediately, certainly eventually).

On the other hand, the real battle is against the dreaded disease anyway. If the net of it all is that more monies go to help out local cancer victims, then that is all that matters.

However, as football asserts itself into the event, we might never again see a scenario unfold like the one that did today.

Here’s what I mean (a little behind the scene story that the mainstream media didn’t know).

Bill O’Brien played in today’s tournament From a media perspective, he was the central figure at the tournament today. Pat Chambers held his own with the press for the most part but them were more interested in getting Bill on camera. However, many, if not most, of those who were actually playing in the tournament were more interested in the basketball side of things. It was nice that O’Brien was playing but the hardcore hoops fans wished that Pat Chambers had been able play.

As proof of my assertion (ok - not really proof, I’m just going to go all kidcoyote and offer up a anecdote as “proof”), the organizers of today’s event were faced with a challenge. What foursome should be given the honor of playing with O’Brien (for the most part, people who play in the event don’t find out who their celeb (or captains as they called them this year) is until the day of the event (or maybe the night before - logically that makes a lot of sense because there often a lot of last minute turnover among the celebs). O’Brien was assigned to a group of long time donors to the CvC program.

You would think that the lucky foursome would be overjoyed. Not exactly. When they found out this morning, they made a simple request of the committee. Could they trade O’Brien for someone else? Who exactly asked the committee? Answer from the donors “Steve Wydman”.

Now most people are going to say “wtf?”. Those who know Steve are going to be a little more understanding. These donors, who as I mentioned were longtime contributors to the charity, were looking forward to playing golf with a PSU hoop personality. While they were honored to have been chosen as the group to play with O’Brien, that wasn’t what they were looking for. So they asked for a swap with a former player who they had previously played with, specifically Wydman. Steve was happy to be reunited with people he had played with before (apparently, the group that got O’Brien wasn’t too disappointed either). Everyone was happy with the swap.

However, as the football program gets more integrated into the CvC program, I can’t imagine this ever happening again. It’s quite likely that people will clamor to play with the football guys and hoops winds up taking a back seat.

This is probably too much to ask, because I know it is a lot of work. But I don’t really have the time to listen to the audio from the show. Any chance of ever getting transcripts :slight_smile: They’re much quicker than listening.

Tyler said that there is a video of the reaction to the trade of the “Captains” that wasn’t shown last night due to technical difficulties. Is there any chance it could be posted here?

I feel the same way. Great for football to pitch in to a good cause. Bad that the “big celebrity” for the event is whoever happens to be our football coach.

I love what I have seen with O’Brien, everything about him. But this truly was a “basketball event” and gave some identity to the program. I feel the same conflict.

No. For the very reason you pointed out.

I suppose he means this one.

http://youtu.be/hw1QKZI6Nsw

[quote="TomF, post:12, topic:3306"]This is probably too much to ask, because I know it is a lot of work. But I don't really have the time to listen to the audio from the show. Any chance of ever getting transcripts :) They're much quicker than listening.[/quote]

Over the years I have frequently needed transcription services. Someday soon someone will create software that does it well. I use Dragon Dictate a lot, and it is great with my voice (more than sufficient), but it learns one voice and has trouble when others are used. Google Voice transcribes my voice mail messages, but comically.

[quote="TomF, post:12, topic:3306"]This is probably too much to ask, because [b]I know it is a lot of work[/b]. But I don't really have the time to listen to the audio from the show. Any chance of ever getting transcripts :) They're much quicker than listening.[/quote]

Over the years I have frequently needed transcription services. Someday soon someone will create software that does it well. I use Dragon Dictate a lot, and it is great with my voice (more than sufficient), but it learns one voice and has trouble when others are used. Google Voice transcribes my voice mail messages, but comically.

Because we do our show from public venues, there’s also a lot of background noise that complicates things.

We do (eventually) chop our shows into segments so that people are able to listen to the segment that interests them most. Unfortunately, I’m having trouble convincing the guys the the edit should be a top priority, so it’s recently been taking several days before it’s complete (sooner or later, they’ll see the light).

Penn State has used some automated transcription service for its Paterno press conferences. I forget the name of the service though.

They have a bigger budget than we do. :wink: