PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Pro football

Odell Beckham: not bad

That poor Minnesota kicker. Before he teed it up, I thought of the 1999 Penn State-Minnesota game and how I believed in my heart that LaVar Arrington would find a way to block that last Gopher kick and keep Penn State No. 1. So I didn’t have a lot of faith in Richard Sherman.

Should have been thinking Scott Norwood!

[quote=“tjb, post:2, topic:4585”]That poor Minnesota kicker. Before he teed it up, I thought of the 1999 Penn State-Minnesota game and how I believed in my heart that LaVar Arrington would find a way to block that last Gopher kick and keep Penn State No. 1. So I didn’t have a lot of faith in Richard Sherman.

Should have been thinking Scott Norwood![/quote]

More like Ray Finkle.

That poor Minnesota kicker. Before he teed it up, I thought of the 1999 Penn State-Minnesota game and how I *believed* in my heart that LaVar Arrington would find a way to block that last Gopher kick and keep Penn State No. 1. So I didn't have a lot of faith in Richard Sherman.

Should have been thinking Scott Norwood!

More like Ray Finkle.

“Cundiff” permanently became a verb in Baltimore after Billy missed the FG against the Patriots in the AFC title game.

[quote="tjb, post:2, topic:4585"]That poor Minnesota kicker. Before he teed it up, I thought of the 1999 Penn State-Minnesota game and how I *believed* in my heart that LaVar Arrington would find a way to block that last Gopher kick and keep Penn State No. 1. So I didn't have a lot of faith in Richard Sherman.

Should have been thinking Scott Norwood![/quote]

More like Ray Finkle.

“Cundiff” permanently became a verb in Baltimore after Billy missed the FG against the Patriots in the AFC title game.

I still think Sherman impacted the kick… He was coming off the right end, and the kicker had to angle towards him since he was on the far left hashmark. This also brings up another point. Since the extra points are moved so far back now, those shorter kicks (and angles) aren’t done nearly as often. How much did that come into play?

I kind of thought the same thing. But if I’m the kicker, I kick it down the middle and expect the blockers to do their jobs. I’m not thinking about Sherman at all.

I still think Sherman impacted the kick... He was coming off the right end, and the kicker had to angle towards him since he was on the far left hashmark.

I kind of thought the same thing. But if I’m the kicker, I kick it down the middle and expect the blockers to do their jobs. I’m not thinking about Sherman at all.

It didn’t help that he twice got a poor spot by the holder and had to kick the laces. One time and it’s got to be in his head, then, low and behold, he’s got the laces again.

[quote="MarkH, post:5, topic:4585"]I still think Sherman impacted the kick... He was coming off the right end, and the kicker had to angle towards him since he was on the far left hashmark.[/quote]

It didn’t help that he twice got a poor spot by the holder and had to kick the laces. One time and it’s got to be in his head, then, low and behold, he’s got the laces again.

Laces are overrated. It’s 27 yards. The laces don’t matter from that distance (or shouldn’t). From a long distance, laces to the side impact direction, laces back impact distance. But at 27 yards, that’s just making excuses.

I would bet that the cold weather strategy was for the holder to set the ball without trying to position it laces out. One thing I look for on missed kicks is.to see if the holder got the ball down in the spot he points to. I watched this in slomo and marked the spot with a pen. He put the ball down in the right spot. This miss was totally on the kicker. It definitely looked like he took a very aggressive angle at the ball. He was tilted to far toward the left at impact like he was reaching for the ball.

Warren Moon was freaking great.

[quote=“tjb, post:10, topic:4585”]Warren Moon was freaking great.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/06/sports/football/warren-moon-clearing-way-for-black-quarterbacks-recalls-his-struggles.html[/quote]

That he was.

[quote=“tjb, post:10, topic:4585”]Warren Moon was freaking great.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/06/sports/football/warren-moon-clearing-way-for-black-quarterbacks-recalls-his-struggles.html[/quote]

Our Warren Moon, Mike Cooper

Interesting, no Payton and now no Brock for the Super Bowl Champs.

[quote=“CAPPY, post:13, topic:4585”]Interesting, no Payton and now no Brock for the Super Bowl Champs.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sportscenter/status/707661244241743873[/quote]

Does this mean no Hack for the Texans? Or does it just buy him some bench seasoning time instead of tossing him out there right away?

Interesting, no Payton and now no Brock for the Super Bowl Champs.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sportscenter/status/707661244241743873

Does this mean no Hack for the Texans? Or does it just buy him some bench seasoning time instead of tossing him out there right away?

Hack to Denver? :slight_smile:

Please Hack to OB without pressure to play right away…

That would be cool. I’d also be okay with the Cardinals, Saints or Steelers drafting him. All have good offensive coaches and pretty good starting QBs who are getting up there. The Steelers are probably the worst of the three since Ben could be around a bit longer than Palmer or Brees.

[quote="tjb, post:16, topic:4585"]Please Hack to OB without pressure to play right away....[/quote]

That would be cool. I’d also be okay with the Cardinals, Saints or Steelers drafting him. All have good offensive coaches and pretty good starting QBs who are getting up there. The Steelers are probably the worst of the three since Ben could be around a bit longer than Palmer or Brees.

Bruce Arians was a coach at Indy when Payton Manning was a rookie. He was a coach in Pittsburgh when Big Ben was a rookie. He was a coach again in Indy when Andrew Luck was a rookie.

It would be FANTASTIC for Hack if he ended up in Arizona. That would be, BY FAR, the best situation for him.

Ravens CB Tray Walker dies after dirt bike accident, agent says - ABC News

Watched the montage of all the TDs yesterday on NFL RedZone and watching Big Ben tonight, I can’t believe what freaks the best of the NFL QBs are. Perfect balls to guys that aren’t yet (or ever really) open when fast 300-pound dudes are bearing down on them. It’s incredible.