PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Prizes, Great Ticket Deal Highlight Nittany Lions Saturday Clash With NU

Student Groups Of 20+ Receive $1 Tickets; Penn State Students Can Win An iPad, Season Football Tickets, Beats Headphones And Morel

Well I certainly wouldn’t mind winning an iPad and/or free football tickets. I’m completely convinced student season tickets are a rip-off though. Another way to get insanely cheap/free tickets this year. I can count on one hand how many games I would have actually had to pay for had I not gotten season tickets.

Freshman Lewis could return against Northwestern

Northwestern trying to keep tournament hopes alive

Nittany Lions look for fourth win in five home games Saturday in 9 p.m. tip on ESPNU

With Colella struggling, yet continuing to get more minutes, that should be plenty enough motivation for Lewis to get out there and do his thing.

It will be nice to see Lewis back on the court again - hopefully it will happen on Saturday, at least for a couple minutes, if not more.

As for Northwestern, I’m a sucker for an underdog (which is why I’m so fond of PSU hoops), so I hope Northwestern gets a chance to dance this year. Now don’t get me wrong - I’ll be rooting for PSU tomorrow, but if they should lose I’ll be able to take solace in the fact that it will get NU closer to the tourney. On the other hand, if PSU wins I’ll feel a little bit bad for crushing NU’s chances (feels like we’ve done that before).

I’ll never take solace in anything involving the opponent when PSU loses a game they shouldn’t.

When we entered the BigTen, the NW fanbase was obnoxious because they felt (incorrectly) that they were no longer going to be the last place team in the conference. Screw them.

We are not far above NW and Nebraska over the last 10 years. Hoping the next few years we get to Minnesota/Iowa level, or maybe even Purdue/Illinios Level. Hope that is not over the top.

Boy, that’s a big assumption.

You say we are “not far above” them, but I don’t think we are in front of them at all.

Can anyone check the conference standings over the past 10 years, compare PSU with NWstern, and see which team had finished in front of the other in the standings the most times in that period?

FROM PENN STATE BASKETBALL ON FACEBOOK

JUST ANNOUNCED: Join us early Saturday night on the concourse for an autograph session with members of the Penn State Football Team! Confirmed right now:
Wide Receiver Justin Brown
Linebacker Gerald Hodges
Offensive Lineman Matt Stankiewitch
Defensive Lineman Jordan Hill

They will be signing autographs on the concourse across from Portal 26 from 8-9 pm, with the potential for one or two more players to be confirmed before the end of the day. It’s a great night filled with autographs, great prizes, and the Nittany Lions and Wildcats on the court!

We are not far above NW and Nebraska over the last 10 years. Hoping the next few years we get to Minnesota/Iowa level, or maybe even Purdue/Illinios Level. Hope that is not over the top.

You say we are “not far above” them, but I don’t think we are in front of them at all.

Can anyone check the conference standings over the past 10 years, compare PSU with NWstern, and see which team had finished in front of the other in the standings the most times in that period?

It varies depending on how many years you index - but it’s actually about as even as it can get in terms of wins/standings.
Over the past 5 seasons:
Conference Wins: PSU +6
Average Finish: PSU: 8.2/NW: 9.0
Higher Finish: PSU:3/NW: 2

Over the past 10 seasons:
Conference Wins: NW +9
Average Finish: PSU: 9.3/NW: 8.5
Higher Finish: PSU:3/NW: 7

Over the past 15 seasons:
Conference Wins: PSU +5
Average Finish: PSU: 8.4/NW: 8.4
Higher Finish: PSU:7/NW: 8

The big difference is Penn State has made the NCAA Tournament 3 times in the 19 seasons since they’ve joined the Big10 while Northwestern has never appeared in the NCAA Tournament. NW hasn’t hit rock bottom quite as often as PSU did in the early 2000’s but they also haven’t experienced the highs Penn State has reached either.

I can check to see 2 NCAA and 2 NIT, one a championship and a Big 10 finals appearance vs 3 NIT appearances and once out of the 1st round.

I can compare a 12-6 recored over the last 10 years.

But yes, they have a better record this year after we graduated our 4 seniors. You are totally correct. I am over the top on this one.

Is this the last game with the student’s in town before break? Guessing the sidecourt seats typically reserved for students have been sold to the general public already for the Michigan game next Sunday? Would appreciate if someone can confirm this or not. Coming up from Philly for the game/weekend next week and don’t have tix yet. They are prime seats obviously, and that would put alot of greats seats back into play (hopefully) for scalping before the game or on Ticket Exchange or even Stubhub which I haven’t checked out yet.

Terrible news on Gyasi. Sad. Anyway, root the boys on the rest of the way…would be great to finish the year off with a nice homecourt winning streak by getting NW and Mich.

Never have been a part of the NW “lovefest.” I hope we pound them!!