PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Previewing the 2011-12 Big Ten Season

Here’s another “it’s never too early” type thread and an article that I stumbled across on a Gopher site while researching some info on Colton Iverson…not sure if it’s been posted here before…It’s actually a fairly in-depth look at what teams will be losing and bringing back for next season. As you’ll see there is stuff in this week old article that is already outdated (Sullinger, Iverson news to name two)…Enjoy…

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2011/3/22/2057514/previewing-big-ten-basketball-for-2011-12

Good read, thanks.

Who is going to fill them in on Trey Lewis? Or maybe we should just let them find out next year when he lights them up. Yeah, I’m optimistic – perhaps overly so.

While we don’t know how our players/teams will turn out next season. It’s just funny reading some of the predictions around other big ten boards on how bad we will be be…

check this prediction from a wiscy board…http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=7271314&p=4

" 1.Ohio State(If Sullinger and Buford come back. If not mcu lower.).
2.Michigan(though I doubt they improve a lot over what they did this year.
3.Wisconsin(I do not think they will miss Nankikvil that much. He was very inconsistent.Leuer will be missed,but I think they can replace him. Guard depth will finally be a plus.)
4.Illinois(I think losing McCamey and Tisdale is addition by subtraction. Still a ,ot of talent.If Richmond left they would be hurting though)
5.Purdue(Hummel is back,but they lose Johnson and Moore.
6…Indiana(Don’t lose anybody. Bring in somew good recruits. At some point doesn’t Tan Tommy have to start producing?
7.Michigan State(Losing Lucas is huge. Even though he was a ballhog. Could finish a little higher.
8.Minnesota(Tubby’s whipping boy Hoffarber will be gone. So is Al Nolen(we all remember how well they played without him.
9.Northwestern(lose the Juice.
10.Iowa(They will lose in a prettier fashion than Todd Lickliter’s teams did at least.
11.Nebraska(Don’t know much about them. But this is where they usually finished so.
12.Penn State(Could be the one of the worst Big Ten teams ever)."

Peegs had a good article today on this very topic.

http://indiana.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1205678

The articles are just MORE examples of what the rest of the world think about PSU basketball…a "non entity!!"
Didn’t the “talking heads” at CBS and ESPN tell ya.

But, don’t let me wake ya…back to La La land.

[quote=“bleedinblue, post:4, topic:2279”]While we don’t know how our players/teams will turn out next season. It’s just funny reading some of the predictions around other big ten boards on how bad we will be be…

check this prediction from a wiscy board…http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=7271314&p=4

" 1.Ohio State(If Sullinger and Buford come back. If not mcu lower.).
2.Michigan(though I doubt they improve a lot over what they did this year.
3.Wisconsin(I do not think they will miss Nankikvil that much. He was very inconsistent.Leuer will be missed,but I think they can replace him. Guard depth will finally be a plus.)
4.Illinois(I think losing McCamey and Tisdale is addition by subtraction. Still a ,ot of talent.If Richmond left they would be hurting though)
5.Purdue(Hummel is back,but they lose Johnson and Moore.
6…Indiana(Don’t lose anybody. Bring in somew good recruits. At some point doesn’t Tan Tommy have to start producing?
7.Michigan State(Losing Lucas is huge. Even though he was a ballhog. Could finish a little higher.
8.Minnesota(Tubby’s whipping boy Hoffarber will be gone. So is Al Nolen(we all remember how well they played without him.
9.Northwestern(lose the Juice.
10.Iowa(They will lose in a prettier fashion than Todd Lickliter’s teams did at least.
11.Nebraska(Don’t know much about them. But this is where they usually finished so.
12.Penn State(Could be the one of the worst Big Ten teams ever)."[/quote]

We will definitely be in a struggle with the bottom three of the conference. Northwestern is going to be worse than even this guy suspects because they also lost Shurna. It’s hard to see where our buckets are going to come from next season, and inexperience is always a killer in Big 10 play.

EDIT: I just realized Shurna is a Junior, so whoops on my part.

[quote=“tundra, post:6, topic:2279”]The articles are just MORE examples of what the rest of the world think about PSU basketball…a "non entity!!"
Didn’t the “talking heads” at CBS and ESPN tell ya.

But, don’t let me wake ya…back to La La land.[/quote]

Fortunately, what they “think” doesn’t matter; results on the court do.

I think a lot of basketball pundits might be surprised if they looked at PSU’s results over the last four years. Here’s how we stack up against the rest of the Big Ten according to average finish, conference W/L, and overall W/L. Clearly the conference appears to be bunched into three groups - and many will be surprised to find PSU right in the middle of that second group.

I think Nebraska is going to be pretty good next year. Skeeza, don’t you sort of follow them through a friend?

Lar and his rolling averages. ::slight_smile:

Clark Kellogg and Charles Barkley told me Penn State sucks… I think they would know better than some guy with a pocket protector and a spreadsheet.

:wink:

Im having a tougher time than usual trying to get my mind around next season’s team. We know there is one bonafide stud in Frazier. Where do we go from there? Here’s my guess on positions:

PG
Frazier
Lewis

SG
Marshall
Woodyard
Bowman

SF

Oliver
Travis

PF
Graham
Borovnjak

C
Alexis
Ackerman

Buie is probably out…

The million dollar question is where the scoring comes from. I hear great things about Graham and hope Travis can really be a surprise. I think the biggest overall help would come from one of the towers providing an unexpected boost.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:10, topic:2279”]Lar and his rolling averages. ::slight_smile:

Clark Kellogg and Charles Barkley told me Penn State sucks… I think they would know better than some guy with a pocket protector and a spreadsheet.
;)[/quote]

and don’t forget Nance and Bilas…Whether PSU actually “sucks or not” is not the point. “Floating averages” withstanding! I am 100% sure PSU was the 4th best team in our league this season…BUT…my opinion does not mean much… the national public opinion thinks “PSU sucks” and PSU is an "non entity."
That is why Curley and Ed need to start a serious media marketing campaign. Rent billboard space in Times Square!! Do something!!!

[quote=“mhenry41, post:11, topic:2279”]Im having a tougher time than usual trying to get my mind around next season’s team. We know there is one bonafide stud in Frazier. Where do we go from there? Here’s my guess on positions:

PG
Frazier
Lewis

SG
Marshall
Woodyard
Bowman

SF

Oliver
Travis

PF
Graham
Borovnjak

C
Alexis
Ackerman

Buie is probably out…

The million dollar question is where the scoring comes from. I hear great things about Graham and hope Travis can really be a surprise. I think the biggest overall help would come from one of the towers providing an unexpected boost.[/quote]

I don’t think Tim’s the same player without the cast. Could go either way. He needs scorers to feed, but he also doesn’t have a team leader, upperclassman, All American school legend saying “throw it to ME” throughout the game, which TB, bless him, did for four years.

We need lightning to strike to be competitive next year.

Then again, for a guy hesitant to shoot because of his supporting cast may be a better scorer w/o the supporting cast.

Yes, that was my inarticulate point, thanks!

We need lightning to strike to be competitive next year.

Tend to agree, but I’m not looking for any post-season play next year. There are maybe 3 teams in the country that could lose the amount of minutes/scoring/rebounds we are and be competitive the following season, so I think it’s pretty well understood this is truly a rebuilding season.

My hope is that we are able to figure out what we have in order to be competitive the following year.

Everyone seems to have Nebraska at the bottom for the same reason they always put Penn State there.

I think Nebraska will have a very good team. I think they finish in the top half of the conference.

They lose their top scorer (Jeter), but they have a kid named Bo Spence replacing him. Spencer started at LSU for 2 season, taking them to an SEC title and losing in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament to eventual winner and juggernaught in UNC.

They have some talented and experienced bigs as well, somehting that may be at a premium next year in this conference.

Not sure if people are aware that Nebraska has not been to the NCAA tournament since 1998. An even longer drought than what Penn State endured prior to this past season. That, in and of itself, is enough for prognosticators to pick them in the bottom half, despite what collection of players they have at Nebraska. I have no idea what they really have coming back, only that Nebraska was a team this past year that was close to the bubble, but not quite on it.

CNNSI’s early look at top 32 for 2011-12

Big10 teams listed:

1. Ohio St
  2. Wisky
  3. Michigan
  4. Purdue

What! No PSU!!! :wink:

Actually, I’m surprised no mention of the Illini. I think they’ll be good next year now that Tisdale, Davis and McCamey are gone and the young guys can take over. (I do think they’ll be good but I say that semi-tongue-in-cheek b/c I remember a couple of years ago the Illini were gonna be really good once Meacham, Frazier and company left so that Tisdale, Davis and McCamey could take over).

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:19, topic:2279”]CNNSI’s early look at top 32 for 2011-12

Big10 teams listed:

1. Ohio St
  2. Wisky
  3. Michigan
  4. Purdue

What! No PSU!!! :wink:

Actually, I’m surprised no mention of the Illini. I think they’ll be good next year now that Tisdale, Davis and McCamey are gone and the young guys can take over. (I do think they’ll be good but I say that semi-tongue-in-cheek b/c I remember a couple of years ago the Illini were gonna be really good once Meacham, Frazier and company left so that Tisdale, Davis and McCamey could take over).[/quote]

I’m just not a big fan of Bruce Weber … doesn’t seem like he can make the most out of the talent that he recruits. Actually, I guess that I AM a big fan of Bruce - we didn’t seem to be able to beat the Illini before he came along ;D