PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Previewing Fairfield

Just looking ahead to Friday’s game, trying to get an idea of who this team is after seeing Lunardi say they should win 20 games this season.

Best way is to probably look back to last season…

Won 23 games, including 13-5 in the MAAC (15th best conference in the nation according to Kenpom), no marquee wins last year.

Went to the CIT after losing in the MAAC tournament finals to Siena for the 3rd time.

Weren’t tremendous in any stat last year except blocking shots.

So this year they lose 2 key contributors from last year, both 6’8" guys - one was a tremendous shot blocker, the other was a fantastic 3-pt shooter.

They bring back their best player (now a sophomore) and another great shot blocker, but making up those 24 points a game they lost (plus the blocks) won’t be easy for them.

This season:

They’re 1-1 currently, losing to Rutgers and beat Sacred Heart. It should also be noted they lost an exhibition to D-2 Stonehill last week.

They have 9 guys that have gotten over 10 minutes per game over their first 2.

Needham is the super-soph. Top returning scorer in the entire league… Haven’t seen him play yet, but on paper he looks like a ball-player. Led the team in scoring and minutes last year as a true -frosh, and continues leading in both this season (13.5 points per in 35 minutes per). Will shoot a lot of 3’s, but only hit 31 percent last year. Also has quite a few turnovers early this season.

Here’s a vid on Needham from last year, gives some good looks at what he’s about. Rookie of the Year: Derek Needham

Senior Warren Edney is avg’ing 10 points a game, after sitting out last season - not sure why he sat out, it does say he had injuries that made him miss the end of his sophomore year. Probably related to that. He’s 6’5" and gets the second most minutes on the squad thus far.

Olander is the returning shot blocker I spoke of, a legit 7 footer. He’s a junior with a lot of experience having played every game as a freshmen, and he’s got 5 blocks this year already picking up where he left off last year with 48 for the season. Is not a big part of the offense.

Hawkins is a senior and a preseason MAAC 3rd teamer, but after averaging 15 last season is off to a slow start this year - only has 11 points through the first two games combined. He did miss the last two months last year with injuries and could still be coming back slowly from those.

Nickerson is the only other player that seems to be doing much early this season for them, he’s a lengthier looking sophomore guard that seems like a good defender and a bit of a mismatch for smaller guards - he’s average 8.5 a game right now and 4th in minutes.

Consensus

They were picked to win the MAAC this season by the MAAC coaches and most publications, and collegeinsider ranked them the 10th best mid-major in the country coming into this season.

If I’ve missed anything or screwed up any facts, please correct me. I just kinda typed as I was discovering things about them. Feel free to add to it also if you know anything.

They struggled against Rutgers, but they might have had an off game. Their coach said after the game that “he didn’t know who was out there playing for him, they were imposters.”

Fairfield seems to be struggling on offense, as Rutgers was noted of playing terrific defense (gave up 53 points) and Fairfield only scored 62 against Sacred Heart.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw another St. Joes type game.

At this point as long as we win, I’m good with that. I think a win against Fairfield will look good in Feb/March. Will it matter at that time is a totally different discussion.

Why does the name Olander ring a bell? Were we after this kid?

[quote="Craftsy21, post:1, topic:1514"]Olander is the returning shot blocker I spoke of, a legit 7 footer. He's a junior with a lot of experience having played every game as a freshmen, and he's got 5 blocks this year already picking up where he left off last year with 48 for the season. Is not a big part of the offense.[/quote]

Tyler Olander was a kid we were at that went to UCONN.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:1, topic:1514"]Olander is the returning shot blocker I spoke of, a legit 7 footer. He's a junior with a lot of experience having played every game as a freshmen, and he's got 5 blocks this year already picking up where he left off last year with 48 for the season. Is not a big part of the offense.[/quote]

Tyler Olander was a kid we were at that went to UCONN.

Ryan is Tyler’s brother.

fairfieldstags.com: Men’s Basketball Heads To Penn State For Friday Night Contest

Fairfield game notes

I wish this game was at Fairfield.

1. it’s an hour drive
  2. I’m good friends with the baseball coach, Bill Currier, who was let go by UVM after 20 yrs. when they eliminated baseball, and he just started
  3. there’s a Pepe’s Pizza in Fairfield(from New Haven fame, oldest coal fired brick oven pizza in the US).

Wish PSU would play in NJ, Philly, CT or NYC metro area during the week. Haven’t seen a game there inawhile. Rutgers and Seton Hall probably an hour drive as well. St. John’s, 30 minutes, Hofstra, 5 minutes. Sacred Heart, in Fairfield as well.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:8, topic:1514”]I wish this game was at Fairfield.

1. it’s an hour drive
  2. I’m good friends with the baseball coach, Bill Currier, who was let go by UVM after 20 yrs. when they eliminated baseball, and he just started
  3. there’s a Pepe’s Pizza in Fairfield(from New Haven fame, oldest coal fired brick oven pizza in the US).

Wish PSU would play in NJ, Philly, CT or NYC metro area during the week. Haven’t seen a game there inawhile. Rutgers and Seton Hall probably an hour drive as well. St. John’s, 30 minutes, Hofstra, 5 minutes. Sacred Heart, in Fairfield as well.[/quote]

Been to Pepe’s (the original in New Haven). Pretty good pizza but after hearing people rave about it for a long time, I think my expectations were too high and I left a little disappointed.

I heard but know if it materialized that Derek Radz from Albany City Rocks was running a bus trip tomorrow out of Albany down to the game seeing it is an opportunity for people to see the boys and also Jamel Fields who was also a City Rock and now a freshman Stag

[quote="kidcoyote, post:8, topic:1514"]I wish this game was at Fairfield.
  1. it’s an hour drive

Wish PSU would play in NJ, Philly, CT or NYC metro area during the week. Haven’t seen a game there inawhile. Rutgers and Seton Hall probably an hour drive as well. St. John’s, 30 minutes, Hofstra, 5 minutes. Sacred Heart, in Fairfield as well.[/quote]

Been to Pepe’s (the original in New Haven). Pretty good pizza but after hearing people rave about it for a long time, I think my expectations were too high and I left a little disappointed.

Also been to Pepe’s, and was pretty impressed. Have to go to the original though, don’t know if I would go to one in Fairfield, might ruin it for me! Loved the white clam pizza (Think that was what it was called)

[quote="kidcoyote, post:8, topic:1514"]I wish this game was at Fairfield.
  1. it’s an hour drive

Also been to Pepe’s, and was pretty impressed. Have to go to the original though, don’t know if I would go to one in Fairfield, might ruin it for me! Loved the white clam pizza (Think that was what it was called)

Yes, Lar, had that happen to me with some things. Cub, used to live in Wilton, CT, and have a great friend in Norwalk, exit 16 on 95, and the Fairfield Pepe’s is exit 24 I think, so when I visit him, it’s a 10 min drive. New Haven a haul, maybe 40 mins from his house. Pretty much the same pie. Same white brick oven fired with coal. Not the same atmosphere, suburbs, and no line. Haven’t been to New Haven one in 15 years. Been to the other one probably 3 times in last year…every time I visit him.

I thought the oldest was Lombardi’s in Manhattan (unless you’re just speaking of th oldest coal fire brick oven in the US)

gopsusports.com: Nittany Lions Look To Improve To 3-0

PSU game notes

Penn State Basketball: Next Game Primer with Lewis Preston - Fairfield

[quote=“CAPPY, post:14, topic:1514”]gopsusports.com: Nittany Lions Look To Improve To 3-0

PSU game notes

Penn State Basketball: Next Game Primer with Lewis Preston - Fairfield[/quote]

I can’t get over how great a feature these videos are. Huge props to whoever came up with the idea.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:8, topic:1514"]3. there's a Pepe's Pizza in Fairfield(from New Haven fame, oldest coal fired brick oven pizza in the US).[/quote]

I thought the oldest was Lombardi’s in Manhattan (unless you’re just speaking of th oldest coal fire brick oven in the US)

I never checked it, but if I remember correctly, it’s on a sign in their New Haven place. Yes, not oldest pizza, but 1st coal fired brick oven. I have no idea if it’s true. My brother loves Lombari’s and John’s. I think they are both brick oven, so maybe it’s not true. Here’s Pepe’s site and it doesn’t state it. One in Yonkers…hmm. Didn’t know that. Not too far. Be careful reading this. Gets you kind of hungry. :slight_smile:

http://www.pepespizzeria.com/

Yes please. I haven’t been to a game yet! I was going to attend the home game against Minnesota (right after the upset of Illinois in the NIT year), but it didn’t work out.

If I had a car on campus last year, I might have attended the snooze fest against Temple (subway is 100 feet from the Liacouras Center), or anything in Philly. Anything else in Jersey is also fair game (Rider, Monmouth, St. Peters, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Princeton).

Not one of their games this season is closer than State College. :frowning: