PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Preseason Pomeroy Ratings out

Hi everyone, first time/long time

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Penn%20St.

Penn State ranked #114 in the preseason Pomeroy Ratings, last place in the Big Ten.

The projected record is 13-17 (5-13). The USF/ODU game is not listed, and won’t be listed until after the Kentucky game when we know who the opponent will be, but the likely projected record will be 13-18 (5-13). I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d be satisfied with that from this team.

[quote=“Chris11, post:1, topic:2774”]Hi everyone, first time/long time

Penn State ranked #114 in the preseason Pomeroy Ratings, last place in the Big Ten.

The projected record is 13-17 (5-13). The USF/ODU game is not listed, and won’t be listed until after the Kentucky game when we know who the opponent will be, but the likely projected record will be 13-18 (5-13). I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d be satisfied with that from this team.[/quote]

I agree, that wouldn’t be too bad, IMO. 6 games vs. Iowa, IU and NU, and you never know. Maybe we steal 1 or 2 more. I think UM will be very tough this year, despite losing Morris. Morgan, Hardaway, Smotrycz tough, and then Douglas and Novak hitting shots. Nice team. IMO, Hardaway could have scary season, and while I don’t know all the big men in the league, Morgan looks to be developing a top offensive game. Don’t see us being competitive with them this year.

[quote=“Chris11, post:1, topic:2774”]Hi everyone, first time/long time

The projected record is 13-17 (5-13). The USF/ODU game is not listed, and won’t be listed until after the Kentucky game when we know who the opponent will be, but the likely projected record will be 13-18 (5-13). I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d be satisfied with that from this team.[/quote]

Welcome to the board Chris, and good first post.

Like I’ve said before, it’s hard to place PSU anywhere but at the bottom of the league when doing these preseason prediction drills…I think the coaches around the league will know not to take this group lightly though.

Someone used the analogy a few weeks ago in another thread about Joe Tiller when he first came to Purdue. Many Big Ten pundits didn’t think Tiller’s methods would work in the Big Ten, but alas, they did and Purdue went on to have a good deal of success right from the start. Likewise, maybe Coach Chambers can bring a fresh look to the stodgy play of the Big Ten and actually make it work.

And although he’s only one player, I think many of the ten other BT coaches would like Tim Frazier running their show. And if Timmy can help develop the young talent around him, PSU might surprise a few folks.

That’s what many of us are so excited about, regardless of the wins-losses this season.

Hi everyone, first time/long time

The projected record is 13-17 (5-13). The USF/ODU game is not listed, and won’t be listed until after the Kentucky game when we know who the opponent will be, but the likely projected record will be 13-18 (5-13). I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d be satisfied with that from this team.

Welcome to the board Chris, and good first post.

Like I’ve said before, it’s hard to place PSU anywhere but at the bottom of the league when doing these preseason prediction drills…I think the coaches around the league will know not to take this group lightly though.

Someone used the analogy a few weeks ago in another thread about Joe Tiller when he first came to Purdue. Many Big Ten pundits didn’t think Tiller’s methods would work in the Big Ten, but alas, they did and Purdue went on to have a good deal of success right from the start. Likewise, maybe Coach Chambers can bring a fresh look to the stodgy play of the Big Ten and actually make it work.

And although he’s only one player, I think many of the ten other BT coaches would like Tim Frazier running their show. And if Timmy can help develop the young talent around him, PSU might surprise a few folks.

That’s what many of us are so excited about, regardless of the wins-losses this season.

Get with the times, NI !!! :wink:

I would take 5 conference wins IN A HEARTBEAT !!!

I think the important thing to remember is that this is almost an entirely different basketball program, let alone team, so we don’t really know what to expect. Let’s face it…TF was the only big-time contributor on the team last year, so there really are no significant holdovers from prior years (in terms of minutes and production). We might really wind up seeing basketball that we have never really seen in State College.

From my understanding, this is the first coach in a very long time who isn’t from the PSU basketball coaching tree (almost funny to type that). So he’s got no reason to build on the past (God knows he shouldn’t, given our track record). I love the fact that we have no idea what we’re getting into. I think that the first year or two should be a blank check for him to really experiment in terms of coaching and recruiting (not dirty stuff, but just maybe trying out different styles of basketball players).

Look forward to seeing the team in a few weeks up in Boston.

[b]I think many of the [i]ten[/i] other BT coaches[/b]

Get with the times, NI !!! :wink:

Oops 8)

How about “all of the 10 (not including Bo Ryan who has Jordan Taylor) other coaches…”