PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Preseason Coaches Poll

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/2

Big 10 only has 3 teams in the Top 25 to start the season (I know, it doesn’t really mean anything). #3 OSU, #14 Wiscy, and #18 Michigan. When was the last time MSU wasn’t in the preseason Top 25? Maybe it wasn’t that long ago, but the list seemed odd with them sitting at “Others Receiving Votes”.

UK is at #2.

No Butler? Guess they did loose some players to graduation but Back to Back Final 4 should deserve a curtiousy top 25 pre-season ranking.

It certainly looks as if it will be a “down” year for the Big Ten, especially in comparison to last year.

Everyone was gung-ho about PSU chances last year with Battle and the three other seniors, but I warned that the Big Ten was going to take no prisoners. Luckily, Jeff Brooks showed up and Battle was Battle and the boys got through it with an NCAA bid.

This year, everyone is pi$$ing on PSU and for good reason. But it’s all relative in that PSU might be able to be just as competitive with the middle pack in the Big Ten, just like last season.

Also, besides #2 Kentucky (and of course the 5 Big Ten teams listed, wow only five), PSU plays no one else in the initial Top 48 this season. So hopefully the boys can take baby steps before leaping into conference play.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:2744”]It certainly looks as if it will be a “down” year for the Big Ten, especially in comparison to last year.

Everyone was gung-ho about PSU chances last year with Battle and the three other seniors, but I warned that the Big Ten was going to take no prisoners. Luckily, Jeff Brooks showed up and Battle was Battle and the boys got through it with an NCAA bid.

This year, everyone is pi$$ing on PSU and for good reason. But it’s all relative in that PSU might be able to be just as competitive with the middle pack in the Big Ten, just like last season.

Also, besides #2 Kentucky (and of course the 5 Big Ten teams listed, wow only five), PSU plays no one else in the initial Top 48 this season. So hopefully the boys can take baby steps before leaping into conference play.[/quote]
I think the BIG TEN was senior heavy last season. I remember that very little was lost form the previous season, there was an awful lot of talent returning to the conference at the same time the big 4 had their senior seasons.

I wonder if Chambers is still voting in this.